Army Awards New M4/M4A1 Contract to FN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army Awards New M4/M4A1 Contract to FN

FN Manufacturing has outbid Remington Arms Company and Colt Defense LLC., to win a contract worth just under $77 million to make M4A1s for the U.S. Army, according to an industry source. The award notice was posted on Federal Business Opportunities on Feb. 22 with an initial value of $9,370,615.

This is the latest round in what has become a hard-fought battle to equip soldiers with a better carbine.

The drama all began when the Army chose Remington over Colt, the original maker of the M4, last April to make 120,000 M4s and M4A1 carbines. That award meant that more soldiers would go into combat with the M4A1, a SOF version of the carbine that features a more durable barrel and a full-auto trigger. The Army’s decision to dump the three-round burst setting will give soldiers a more consistent trigger and better accuracy.

The GAO did rule in favor of Colt’s first protest over the Army’s miscalculation of royalties it would receive for contract awards on its M4 design. The July 24 ruling forced the Army to rework the original solicitation so the vendors that fell into the competitive range could submit new price bids. All gun makers involved were forced to reveal their previous price bids for the original $84 million contract to keep things fair.

Colt officials then filed an Oct. 9 protest with the GAO three weeks after the Connecticut-based gun maker received the Army’s amended Sept. 21 solicitation. The GAO denied Colt’s second protest in a Nov. 16 decision.

This latest decision makes FN the only maker of both M16A4s and M4 carbine variants for the U.S. Military (I think.) The majority of the contract will supply M4A1s to the Army as part of its ongoing effort to upgrade its fleet of M4s.

Read more: http://kitup.military.com/2013/02/ar...#ixzz2Llh9G61l
    Kit Up!
    Originally posted by Jester
    Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
    He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
    Originally posted by Denny
    What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
    FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

So HK makes their piston ARs/SAWs, FN makes their gpmgs and rifles, and beretta makes their pistols. American manufacturers are getting hung out to dry it seems.
    Originally posted by lincolnboy
    After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
      So HK makes their piston ARs/SAWs, FN makes their gpmgs and rifles, and beretta makes their pistols. American manufacturers are getting hung out to dry it seems.
      I wonder if this is also by design in the event a ban is attempted?

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
        That doesn't make sense. Colt Defense is a completely different company than Colt's Manufacturing Co.

Defense contractors do not pander to civilians, so they would be completely unaffected by any type of ban on a civilian's ability to buy certain firearms. Hell, we can't buy new MGs but they still make M2HBs here (FN makes them too).

Comment

I thought the FN stuff came out of their Georgia plant. I know that when they converted their M16A2s over to the flat top uppers and M4 Barrels, a lot of those were FN conversions.

Who was it that made the M2 barrels? Saber Defense? Before the government shut them down.

I would like to see them carrying more 14.5" or shorter M4s here with full auto triggers. Most of the ambushes here are close contact. For further engagements the SAW, M240, Mk19 and M2 works much better then slinging 5.56 into the mountains. The current M4 down in the valleys here works best as a M203 carrier. That can be countered with the argument for the HK M230a1 in stand alone configuration with collabsable but stock. I would rather drop a 40mm HE round on top of them then dump a magazine into the rocks and bushes as an enemy they can't see. Let the LMG stuff deal with keeping their heads down.
          Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Still see any m79s around Keith?

Comment

Still see any m79s around Keith?
              SEALs and some SF units carry them. I have shot the HK M230A1 and it is a fucking blast to shoot. This SGT was just handing me HE as fast as I could load, sight, fire, eject. I posted pics on the old board of it. For the weight savings, I don't see where you would want to lug the M79 over the new HK one.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                This process began well before the current rush and 2A conflict, so the announcement has no correlation to the current political climate

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                  I thought the FN stuff came out of their Georgia plant. I know that when they converted their M16A2s over to the flat top uppers and M4 Barrels, a lot of those were FN conversions.
                  My understanding is that they are made stateside per the contract.
                  "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                    SEALs and some SF units carry them. I have shot the HK M230A1 and it is a fucking blast to shoot. This SGT was just handing me HE as fast as I could load, sight, fire, eject. I posted pics on the old board of it. For the weight savings, I don't see where you would want to lug the M79 over the new HK one.
                    Interesting. I would love to see vids of you blowing shit up with the m230 dude! That being said you gotta love the m79 if anything for its nostalgic value. Or hell, maybe I watched Terminator 2 too many times as a kid.

Comment

But all these gun companies are stopping sales to LEO/GOV, they'll be begging for guns....

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
                        My understanding is that they are made stateside per the contract.
                        That makes sense. We can not even book tickets for our employees on nonAmerican based airline carriers.

Interesting. I would love to see vids of you blowing shit up with the m230 dude! That being said you gotta love the m79 if anything for its nostalgic value. Or hell, maybe I watched Terminator 2 too many times as a kid.
                        I wished I had some videos. I was still a KBR employee and even though the contract was coming to an end I didn't want to chance there being proof of my shenanigans. Never got to shoot the M79 but the weight savings alone with the new HK device has got to be enormous.

Now I am stuck behind a desk and don't get to go play anymore. Got to fire the M240L, M40, M14 converted to EBR (fun out to 750m) M4, M9 at bases I have been stuck on. Even got to learn how to make water charges for breeching doors and played with 1pound C4 bricks and time delay fuse and detcord.

Comment

Really cool man. I heard the M240L is one slick handling GPMG compared to the B model. Have you ever shot a mark 19 or anything else insane like a 20mm or an AT4?

Comment

Really cool man. I heard the M240L is one slick handling GPMG compared to the B model. Have you ever shot a mark 19 or anything else insane like a 20mm or an AT4?
                            Here you go. Exactly 3 years and 1 day ago I posted these

Shot the Mark19, M2 and an AT4 as a Marine many moons ago. Yes the L is much finer than the B or G models. I pulled it out the truck and could tell it was much lighter that is when the SGT said "yeah, it is the new L for light, much lighter than the others". I have hung rounds in a 60mm, 81mm and a 120mm mortar also.

Comment

Damn Keith, after having done all the stuff you have done and shot all the stuff you have shot I am seriously surprised that you are even the slightest bit interested in normal pistols and rifles. It's like a formula one driver trying to get his jollies off in a Cobalt SS, lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X