DFWMustangs.net AK build party

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Neogeek23 View Post
    Just poking in to say I'm still interested. I have a receiver flat, was told months ago to wait for kits to drop back down to ~$200. I guess that isn't happening? Where are y'all getting your kits from?
    There is a bunch of things really coming into play here. The Obama scare is one of them, stocks are starting to come back. However, thanks to Bush 41 and the barrel ban, most of the kits available now are either virgin kits, or they have cut barrels. Either way you need to prep a new barrel. The issue with that is you have to do a lot more work (parkerize barrel, headspace, drill barrel, drill for sights, align sights, etc.). Since AK's can vary in difficulty greatly, we need to know what everyone is doing before we set up a plan. If you have an 80% receiver than you're one of two that does. Is your's a bent flat that needs to be drilled, or is it an unbent flat that is already drilled?

As for parts kit prices, they still seem to be inflated. Good deals are out there to be had, but they are usually from individuals. An ideal AK kit to buy would be one with an original barrel. All you do with those is rivet a receiver on them.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• The barrel ban was Bush 43 in 2005.
      Originally posted by lincolnboy
      After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

• Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
        The barrel ban was Bush 43 in 2005.
        I thought it originated with Bush 41? Maybe that was another one.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• The specifics of importing different firearms and firearm components are very convoluted. To be even more specific I do not believe that the barrel ban was a law, just an ATF reinterpretation of a different law. However the administration and Congress did nothing to stop it in 2005.

Comment

• Yeah I really do not know much about importation ban/fiat. It's far too confusing. But that makes sense for the time period, I do remember when an original barrel with a parts kit was the standard.

Comment

• Indeed, it gets even more confusing when you realize that you can import what they call nonsporting barrels with no issue. Like, for some reason saiga barrels come in just fine and last time I checked a semi automatic 7.62 saiga is as lethal as a semi automatic 7.62 saiga with a pistol grip.

Comment

• Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
                Indeed, it gets even more confusing when you realize that you can import what they call nonsporting barrels with no issue. Like, for some reason saiga barrels come in just fine and last time I checked a semi automatic 7.62 saiga is as lethal as a semi automatic 7.62 saiga with a pistol grip.
                Right. It's silly. If the gun meets "sporting" requirements the barrel can pass through. I guess on parts kits it's the barrel itself? If it's threaded it gets banned, I assume, I don't know for sure. Or it may possibly be based on the rifle in assembled form. It's only a matter of time before building your own gun from parts kits is a thing of the past.

Comment

• Projects

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                  I need to know how many people actually have AK parts kits they want to build, what type of kits they are (virgin, kits that need to be demilled, underfolder, yugo etc.)I also need to know what kind of receivers you have.

The reason I've put the build party on the back burner is we've had many people people say they bought tools, but none of them ever coughed them up when I asked for all of them to see where we were. If people do not buy the build jigs and tools we just can't do this. All of the tools combined we will need are probably close to around $700-1000.

Also, I need to know how many people have kits that need to be demilled (torch cut, receiver stubs). The reason being is we cannot demill kits at the build, it takes far too long and that's on top of an assembly that takes far longer than an AR-15. So anyone with a parts kit that needs to be demilled must do the demilling themselves beforehand. If we have 10 guys wanting to build AK's I *might* be able to build 1 in the entire evening if it needs to be demilled. I will be more than happy to give any instructions on how to do it, it's just too time consuming.
                  I am currently working on a Bulgarian underfolder milled kit that I'm converting to a stamped receiver. I had to buy front & rear trunnions and barrel, and I'm having the guy that I bought the receiver (completely heat treated) and the barrel from to do the barrel mount & headspacing now that I have finished the drilling. I hope to have this one ready for CeraKote sometime in January. I will be doing more practicing on riveting before attempting them on my unit.

I also have 3 bent but undrilled receivers (not heat treatd). I have picked up a Hungarian AMD 65 parts kit from GunBroker.com I will need to pick up a barrel and some more U.S. components for this one. I am still looking into building a full stock unit, but a lot depends on funds. As far as tools, I have the riveter made from a Harbor Frieight bolt cutter, a 20 ton press, and the barrel/trunnion jig for it. I also have an air chisel that I made a tip for. I have a 220 spot welder, but I haven't had a chance to procure or make the modified tips yet. I also have 2 drill presses and a large air compressor. I have a large table-top convection pizza type oven for cooking CeraKote and powder coat. I have a MIG welder, an Arc welder, and an acetylene rig, but not TIG or Plasma. I also have a Unimat 3 lathe/mill that comes in handy sometimes, plus several types of sanders & grinders.
                  Last edited by dnchrist; 12-05-2013, 01:08 AM. Reason: add info.

Comment

• Originally posted by dnchrist View Post
                    I am currently working on a Bulgarian underfolder milled kit that I'm converting to a stamped receiver. I had to buy front & rear trunnions and barrel, and I'm having the guy that I bought the receiver (completely heat treated) and the barrel from to do the barrel mount & headspacing now that I have finished the drilling. I hope to have this one ready for CeraKote sometime in January. I will be doing more practicing on riveting before attempting them on my unit.

I also have 3 bent but undrilled receivers (not heat treatd). I have picked up a Hungarian AMD 65 parts kit from GunBroker.com I will need to pick up a barrel and some more U.S. components for this one. I am still looking into building a full stock unit, but a lot depends on funds. As far as tools, I have the riveter made from a Harbor Frieight bolt cutter, a 20 ton press, and the barrel/trunnion jig for it. I also have an air chisel that I made a tip for. I have a 220 spot welder, but I haven't had a chance to procure or make the modified tips yet. I also have 2 drill presses and a large air compressor. I have a large table-top convection pizza type oven for cooking CeraKote and powder coat. I have a MIG welder, an Arc welder, and an acetylene rig, but not TIG or Plasma. I also have a Unimat 3 lathe/mill that comes in handy sometimes, plus several types of sanders & grinders.
                    Impressive collection of tools for AKs. Hearing that list makes me glad to have mostly ARs; a punch set and barrel/combo wrench gets it done.
                    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

• I'm not building but do have a plasma if needed. It's portable if there is 220v and a compressor. Just let me know if I need to bring it.
                      Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
                      There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

• Would I need all those special tools if I had a compleat Or 100% receiver?
                        sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
                        🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

• Originally posted by soap View Post
                          Would I need all those special tools if I had a compleat Or 100% receiver?
                          yes, there are plenty of special tools required.

Comment

• I wanted to build an underfolder FML.

🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

• Originally posted by soap View Post
                              I wanted to build an underfolder FML.
                              I just built an underfolder, we can do it. Just remember that you need a special receiver for those, depending on what kind you build.

Comment

• When was Keith going to do the build party?

🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

Working...
                                X