Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/bbcode/url.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/bbcode/url.php on line 2 Bows and crossbows. School me - DFW Mustangs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bows and crossbows. School me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bows and crossbows. School me

My brother and I are interested in getting into both. But I'm a noob at them and don't want to get junk. So, y'all with experience, gimme input on good brands on both and wha to look for. Pics or links to whatever u recommend please. Thanks!

P.S. this will be for fun and target shooting. Then slowly get into hunting.

I've been wanting one of these for some time now.

This website is for sale! tac15.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, tac15.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

Both can get expensive fast, just as firearms do. That being said it can be a love/hate thing some live to bow hunt and will only want to hunt with a bow. I have hunted archery and rifle, personaly I archery hunt just to get into the woods earlier as I'm happiest in the outdoors in general. I use an antique PSE and like it for what it is. With archery fitment is everything, after picking something out get measured for draw then have it set.

Crossbows don't really matter as long as a decent optic or sight system is used.
      "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by bigmuskie View Post
        I've been wanting one of these for some time now.

This website is for sale! tac15.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, tac15.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
        Wow It lists for $1,299 on their site! Have you seen any real world pricing on it? I know most places sell at less than MSRP.
        92 LX 5.0

Comment

You will get more enjoyment from your kills with a regular compound/recurve bow over any cross bow.

They are both expensive to get into and dont hold value worth a crap. Most of your high quality bows range from 650-1200 bare bow, no sights nothing. Head over to archerytalk.com and buy used. Id buy new if you know your going to keep it forever.

Look into some 3D shooting events and visit them before you even step into a archery store. This way maybe you'll meet someone who will help you find what you need. Archery stores are very well known for doing whatever it takes to make a sale. Even if its completely wrong for you.

After shooting my first animals with a compound bow, for the rest of my life if i can pull one back thats what im hunting with. Even during rifle season, ill still be in the stand with my bow.

NEVER PULL BACK AND DRY FIRE A BOW. Bad things will happen. Never pull one back without a arrow nocked and pointed a safe direction. Most dry fires happen when your just pulling it back and your fingers slip, or the release aid fails. I never take the chance and always have a arrow nocked.

Comment

Just pick up a PSE package deal when they go on sale at Bass Pro. I have that compound bow and it wasn't too expensive...it came ready to shoot. All I had to do was buy arrows. I've added a couple of extras later on. I'm dead on at 30 yards but I think its ideal range is 20 yards for a live target with quick reflexes.

Comment

I'm not afriad to shoot out to 40 yards at relaxed live game. I hold my own out to 60 shooting targets.

You have to practice archery. As far as hunting with them it can be a feat in itself to getbthe thing drawn back and not get busted. It makes me feel like I've gave them a fair chance. Gun hunting is too easy here.

Comment

I bought a Mathews a while back and thought I was going to get into bow hunting. Enjoyed shooting targets at the house, never could get into the hunting. I enjoy my stand and whiskey too much to sit in a tree.....

Comment

Originally posted by bobs94formula View Post
                  Wow It lists for $1,299 on their site! Have you seen any real world pricing on it? I know most places sell at less than MSRP.
                  If remember correctly, it's been roughly a year now since I had priced the Tac-15, but I believe they were around the $1,299 price then. As much as I think they look cool, I've been hesitant to spend that kind of money on a crossbow.

Comment

I shoot Bowtech myself. Go to a shop and have your bow fitted to you. Don't buy something off the shelf and hope it fits. Make certain you have your arrows cut to the proper length. If you buy cheap junk now you will only end up replacing it with quality equipment later.

Comment

Subed.

I have been thinking of buying a bow lately.

Comment

I also suggest your first bow have a easily adjustable drawlength. It will change as I have yet to meet anyone who hasn't changed atleast twice.

Most people go to long and its usually the shops fault. The reason is they have those lengths in stock and can make a sale.

I'm down two inches from my profesional shop fitting. After a shoulder surgery from overextending.

Comment

If any of you are thinking about getting into bowhunting, I highly advise you to slide down here to Pigeon Road Sporting Goods. You WILL NOT find a better pro shop for archery. If I had stayed in PA, and decided to start bowhunting, I'd have thought pretty hard about getting on a plane and going to see them.
                          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
                            I'm not afriad to shoot out to 40 yards at relaxed live game. I hold my own out to 60 shooting targets.

You have to practice archery. As far as hunting with them it can be a feat in itself to getbthe thing drawn back and not get busted. It makes me feel like I've gave them a fair chance. Gun hunting is too easy here.
                            that's why I like bow hunting...for the challenge. I still gun hunt though. I can hit targets all day. What I was referring to above is when hunting deer beyond 30 yards, my bow isn't quick enough. I have to factor in the deer's reaction. They'll squat down and start to haul ass before my arrow gets there, lol. Maybe the high dollar bows don't have that problem, idk. But for me, the PSE works fine and is challenging enough.

Oh, and if you do get a package type deal, you still need to get it fitted to you, which Bass Pro can do.

Comment

When I first started, I bought a Mission Riot bow $499 all set up. I love this bow and knowing what I know now, would buy it again without hesitation. Mission is a subdivision of Matthews. Bought mine at On Target Archery in Canton. Real nice guys.

A few months ago I swapped some hot rod parts for a Wicked Ridge Warrior crossbow. Excellent CB for beginner, shoots fast, accurate as hell and won't break the bank.

Now I wanna start bowfishing. Maybe I'll make a thread...

Comment

Working...
                              X