Rifle won't group off a bipod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rifle won't group off a bipod?

Went to the range today and decided to take the savage 12 with me.i haven't shot it in almost 2 years so I pulled it out last night and cleaned the bore an oiled it up. Got to the range and shot a few rounds. Nowhere even close, guess it got knocked around a little. Try and sight it in and it's shooting more like a shotgun than a rifle. No real pattern or one shot would be perfect next a mile off. Throw the gun onto my cheap 30 rest and its back go 1in 5 shot groups. Go back to the bipod and its all over the place.

Tried different things. Loaded the bipod up, Different grips, even my father tried and same results. Bipod = bad . Rest = good.

Rifle info
    Savage 12vss
    22-250 factory loads
    Factory choate stock
    1 piece base/luepold style rings.
    Unknown number of shots down the barrel, I bought it used. But ever had a problem till I tried to shoot off bipod.

At first I thought it might have been the forearm flexing. But wouldn't it be the same amount of flex bipod vs rest?

To much flex in the stock causing contact with the barrel
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

See - thx for the response. That was my first guess also. But wouldn't the stock still flex off a rest also. Or is it aleaviated bc a rest has a larger contact patch?

Comment

Partly that and the bipod will twist on the attachment point which causes flex
        "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Working...
        X