Removing light rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing light rust

I went camping for four days last week and carried my Kimber mostly in an IWB Comp-Tac CTAC holster from the time I woke up till I went to sleep. Rarely did I carry it in my paddle holster as I was worried about printing and I was with a group of 10-15 people most of whom I work with.

Anyway it was pretty hot and I sweated alot while hiking and doing other activities and I did not wear an inner shirt to avoid direct skin contact like I usually do. I noticed when packing up Sunday morning I had some slight rust on the slide, beaver tail, and hammer that contacted my skin. Basically most of the surfaces that contacted my skin that were not covered by the holster.

Is there a cheap method to clean up the rust and keep it from getting worse? I was thinking about getting some fine steel wool and some sort of gun oil and cleaning it up that way. I'd rather avoid sending it in right now to get it refinished if possible. I'll post some pictures up later this afternoon once I get home from work.

This really reinforces my need for a good "camp" gun rather than carrying a 1911. Something along the lines of a Ruger SP101 or an XD/Glock.

A rag with some quality penetrating oil usually works for light surface rust.
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Hit it with a little Kroil.

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Comment

Pour some tussin on it, lol!

You need a G-32 for camping and shit, brah.
          Originally posted by Silverback
          Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

I have always used rem-oil and a cleaning patch on it until it clears up. If that doesnt work, use a soft bristle tooth brush.
            Originally posted by lincolnboy
            After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
              Pour some tussin on it, lol!

You need a G-32 for camping and shit, brah.
              LOL! Out of tussin, pour more water on it, now you have more tussin

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
              I have always used rem-oil and a cleaning patch on it until it clears up. If that doesnt work, use a soft bristle tooth brush.
              About to use just that. Thanks for the info.

Comment

0000 steal wool and gun oil

Comment

Just use a brillo pad it will be fine...
                  First hand witness at the failure of public healthcare.

Comment

throw it away and buy a new one, it's worthless now!

Comment

Used a soft brush and CPL (that's all I had) to clean it up some last night and it seemed to do the trick short term. I'm going to give it a couple of days and see how's she looking. I should have taken some before pictures but I cleaned it up late last night and the battery on my camera was dead from not charging it up after the camping trip. LMAO at Matt! I got a killer deal on it so it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Comment

If you want some insurance against future rust you could have the gun ceracoated. There are a bunch of local guys who do it for cheap and can keep the same color scheme or you can change it to whatever you want.

My carry pistol has been ceracoated and it rests against my skin all day and there is no noticeable wear on it. I highly recommend it!
                        Originally posted by lincolnboy
                        After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
                          If you want some insurance against future rust you could have the gun ceracoated. There are a bunch of local guys who do it for cheap and can keep the same color scheme or you can change it to whatever you want.

My carry pistol has been ceracoated and it rests against my skin all day and there is no noticeable wear on it. I highly recommend it!
                          That's my long term plan and to get it done to both of my 1911's. Anyone local you can recommend?

Comment

I always use Flitz metal polish on a rag, then go over it lightly with gun oil, works great.
                            satisfaction is the death of desire...

its still "We the people"...right?

Comment

Working...
                            X