No announcement yet.

What makes a good "camp" gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just snagged the Blackhawk I've been hunting for a song, in .44 Special. That might also be an option, Jose.
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
      I just snagged the Blackhawk I've been hunting for a song, in .44 Special. That might also be an option, Jose.
      Although I like the ballistics of the .44 Special I'm probably going to keep this at a .38 Special/.357 Magnum caliber to keep it compatible with my other revolver. Eventually I'd like to get a Marlin lever action in .38 Special/.357 Magnum as a Camp Carbine. If I had concerns for bigger animals like bears the .44 Special caliber would be at the top of my list.

Would did you get the Blackhawk for if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
        Although I like the ballistics of the .44 Special I'm probably going to keep this at a .38 Special/.357 Magnum caliber to keep it compatible with my other revolver. Eventually I'd like to get a Marlin lever action in .38 Special/.357 Magnum as a Camp Carbine. If I had concerns for bigger animals like bears the .44 Special caliber would be at the top of my list.

Would did you get the Blackhawk for if you don't mind me asking?
        It was marked $449, but I got it for $399 (it was used). The cool part is, it's one of the flattop reissues, and Lipsey's is the only distributor they come from. I had a Bisley one ordered, but it would've been almost $600. I'll do the grip-frame conversion at the house, and save a little cash this way. Hell, I may just throw a set of grips on this plow-frame, and try to really get out cheap.

Comment

That's why I'm leaning towards right now, a Ruger SP101.

Like I mentioned, mostly Texas state parks. As far as wildlife, mostly two legged but on the four legged variety just things that might be found around here (which rules out bears). I would also be concerned for any animals that are rabied, and foxes, cougars, etc.
          I know someone with a Ruger SP101 and he loves it, I shot it and even with 357 rounds it was manageable with my small frame.

Comment

So I thought I'd do a little update to this thread. I still do not have what I would call a "camp gun" and after spending a week camping in a national forest in New Mexico last August, I gave this a lot of thought during that trip. I carried a 1911 and an LCR .357 Magnum and honestly I felt a little under gunned.

Although we never saw an animal bigger than a small deer, I sometimes had the thought of a bear in the back of my head. We also had very little traffic in the two different spots we camped at with virtually no traffic after it got dark. One night we had our tents shined on by a flashlight by God knows who and couldn't figure out WTH happened as no vehicles had passed by so whoever shined the lights on us did it on foot. Kinda had my cousin, my friend, and I little spooked.

Anyway after reading through this, I kinda wished I had packed my shotgun with me for the trip. The two other guys I camped with were a little spooked from night one and they kept my LCR in their tent while I slept with my 1911. Anyway I think I'm leaning towards a large frame Glock, probably a 21 in .45 ACP and pick up a 10mm conversion barrel. Still want a Ruger SP101 though but I think the Glock will come first.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of conversion (.45 ACP to 10mm) with a Glock? I think I've brought it up before regarding a .40 S&W to 9mm but now I'm curious about the bigger caliber. I'm hoping I can get away with a barrel and recoil spring swap and hopefully won't have to touch the extractor.

And some obligatory pictures from New Mexico.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
              Anything but glock.
              Sell me your door stop then.
              sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
              🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

I have a Glock 32 for sale in the classifieds with ammo. .357 mag performance out of a semiauto with double the capacity of a revolver...
                "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Okay I just recently got a Glock 20 gen 4. It's 10 mm and can be converted to 357 sig or 40 S&W with a barrel swap: same mags. The Glock 21 is the same frame. So if you have a glock 21 slide and barrel you can shoot 45 acp too. Then you can get a 460 Rowland barrel. Some company makes a 50 GI conversion slide too. Apparently you can shoot 38 super on a 20 slide too but need a lighter recoil spring.

I got the pistol for its firepower and versatility. I'm still no glock fanboy. I've got ghost inc trigger parts coming today.

My thinking way 45 rds of 10mm is a whole lot of firepower in a pistol case. That will stop most anything which is why the g20 is a very popular back country sidearm.

Wanna shoot one, holler and we will hit up a range? I may go again Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
                    I have a Glock 32 for sale in the classifieds with ammo. .357 mag performance out of a semiauto with double the capacity of a revolver...
                    Appreciate the offer and it looks like a good deal but I'm looking for something that can shoot .45 ACP as I have a lot of that due to owning a few 1911's.

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
                    Okay I just recently got a Glock 20 gen 4. It's 10 mm and can be converted to 357 sig or 40 S&W with a barrel swap: same mags. The Glock 21 is the same frame. So if you have a glock 21 slide and barrel you can shoot 45 acp too. Then you can get a 460 Rowland barrel. Some company makes a 50 GI conversion slide too. Apparently you can shoot 38 super on a 20 slide too but need a lighter recoil spring.

I got the pistol for its firepower and versatility. I'm still no glock fanboy. I've got ghost inc trigger parts coming today.

My thinking way 45 rds of 10mm is a whole lot of firepower in a pistol case. That will stop most anything which is why the g20 is a very popular back country sidearm.

Wanna shoot one, holler and we will hit up a range? I may go again Saturday.
                    Appreciate the offer. I've shot every Glock caliber with the exception of the new 42 in .380. I know some people are finicky with the grip angle and "heavyish" trigger pull but I'm OK with it. I was hoping to be able to get away with just a barrel and magazine swap and not have to buy a new slide. I'll be doing more research over on Glock Talk. I know I've saved a thread from over there on this conversion.

Comment

Sounds like a 21 is in your future, or a 30. Both come in sf flavor.

Comment

And some obligatory pictures from New Mexico.

Details on this campsite? Looks like a good one. Hows the hiking?
                        "You don't so much drive it, more like poke it with a sharp stick and channel the fury when you piss it off."

FFL & LTC Instructor
                        http://firstresponsefirearms.com/
                        Factory Five MK4 Cobra
                        Build thread-http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17889
                        http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/BlitzAttack65/
                        www.wix.com/cdurhamwot/blitzattack-mk4-build
                        sigpic

Comment

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

For a basic woods gun, I'd just go with a G20/29. Some guys have made the 10mm to 45 conversion work in their 21/30s, and others have had to modify the extractors to make it work....based on what I've read. The barrel in my G29 seems to lock up fine in my G30, but I don't ever plan on testing it to see if it'll shoot. Just not a conversion I'd want to depend on.

Comment

I would get a G20, don't even think about carrying a .45 to defend yourself again large predators. .45's do very poorly in thick skin animals.
                              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I took the G20 apart tonight and installed a Ghost Inc. trigger bar and spring kit. It seems a bit better in dry practice but it is still not a very nice trigger. I will probably take it to the range again this weekend and see how my accuracy is with it. I don't expect it will be 1911 like or even XD like, but hopefully I can learn to get decent with this gun and trigger.

I will be changing sights next. That rear sight is too visible and detracts from focusing on the front sight.

It's also a heavy and large pistol for a polymer gun. Of course 700 ft lbs of energy times 15 rounds is about the most a guy can carry in a pistol.

I'm going camping next weekend. I will probably take my Sig 1911 since it is reliable and has very bright night sights on it or maybe my P227. If I had night sights on the G20, I'd probably take it.

Comment

Working...
                                X