Thoughts on AR in 5.45

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on AR in 5.45

Anything bad about owning one? I sold my 5.56 Bushmaster I while back and looking at buying another one and it's hard to beat the price on a 5.45 rifle right now. What are the cons about buying one???

I've heard they're perfectly fine to have. You'll have to clean your gun every outing though since all that 5.45 surplus ammo is corrosive.

Comment

That doesn't sound like a bad thing than and should just lead to better habits cleaning a rifle out.

Separate question. Can AR's chambered in 5.45 be changed over to 5.56 with just an upper swap? I know I've been around weapons for a long time but I never really knew the answer on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
        That doesn't sound like a bad thing than and should just lead to better habits cleaning a rifle out.

Separate question. Can AR's chambered in 5.45 be changed over to 5.56 with just an upper swap? I know I've been around weapons for a long time but I never really knew the answer on that one.
        They do swap, but a 5.56 lower internals may not work on a 5.45 upper assembly. 5.45 lowers will generally have heavier springs and hammers to ignite a primer on a 5.45 cartridge.

Comment

So, 5.45 LPK would work for both?
          Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
          There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren M View Post
            So, 5.45 LPK would work for both?
            I would assume so.

Comment

I have a spikes 5.45x39 upper. Everything on the upper is melonite coated. The spikes came with a nickel boron bolt. I clean it after every trip to the range. I just stick it in the sink and spray it with windex and douse it in warm water. My first outing at the range sucked! I upgraded to a Spikes T-2 buffer. It shoots like a dream now. It also needs a heavy trigger spring as well. The ammo is corrosive and gross. However I don't feel guilty about shooting it at all. The only thing that could be touch or go is Mags.

I would say go for it!!

Comment

Still doing my research and came across this article. Pretty good read.

I've been sitting on this article for some time. ?Much thanks to? Tam ?for prodding me into finishing and publishing it. ?I will update thi...

Comment

Why not just get a Saiga (or whatever they're called now) in 5.45? Seems like running 5.45 in a DI gun is a pain in the butt.
                  ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

My SBR is an 11.5" 5.45x39 and i had to upgrade the trigger spring to get it to punch through the old Rusky primers in my surplus ammo.

Other than cleaning it after every outing, it's a CHEAP AR to operate...I bought two spam cans of 1080. I still have 300 or so rounds left of the first one, and the second one is still sealed.

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                      Why not just get a Saiga (or whatever they're called now) in 5.45? Seems like running 5.45 in a DI gun is a pain in the butt.
                      This would be my recommendation. The conversion is easy, they are cheap guns, and they are true Izhmash russian AK's. You can mount optics to them as well. I would think you could convert a Saiga AK for the same price as buy an AR upper. I'm pretty sure it could be done.
                      Last edited by CJ; 10-01-2013, 05:00 PM.
                      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I have one..... Well, only as of yesterday.... Wonder if I can use a. 5.56 can on it though?

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
                          I have one..... Well, only as of yesterday.... Wonder if I can use a. 5.56 can on it though?
                          Given a thorough cleaning afterwards, most say 5.45 in a 5.56 can won't be an issue other than a slight increase in db.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                            Given a thorough cleaning afterwards, most say 5.45 in a 5.56 can won't be an issue other than a slight increase in db.
                            I don't have a suppresor on mine but I do have a dynacomp in 556. Seems to work fine.

Comment

If you wanna try one I have an upper I am looking to sell

Comment

Working...
                              X