First AR purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First AR purchase

bought an assembled ar15 from a guy. spikes lower, LMT upper. he mentioned it needed the bolt to be staked, head space checked, and castle nut torqued before firing.

i'm totally ignorant to these guns.

would any of you fine gentlemen mind helping me do these things mentioned and just generally check over the entire rifle and make sure it's correctly done?

I'd greatly appreciate it.

-nick-
    Last edited by dsrtuckteezy; 12-14-2013, 06:47 PM.

also, any recommendations on a cheap low pro gas block so i can run a red dot?

Comment

Nice looking AR. I have been throwing around the idea of one for awhile now, specifically a Colt LEO model.

How is .223 now? Has it come back on shelves like 7.62 has, and is the pricing decent?

Comment

no clue man. this is my first rifle ever besides a ruger 10/22.

i want to keep it simple. low profile gas block, red dot, buis, and maybe a different handguard and grip

Comment

You need some more long guns!

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
            no clue man. this is my first rifle ever besides a ruger 10/22.

i want to keep it simple. low profile gas block, red dot, buis, and maybe a different handguard and grip
            That isnt really keeping is simple dude.

Just take off that carry handle and throw on a rear iron sight and an optic, Nothing wrong with the post you have.

Run a front post and an eotech on a few of my guns and it works fine. Looks like this:

Originally posted by lincolnboy
            After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Or a primary arms microdot
              Originally posted by Theodore Roosevelt
              It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming...

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
                That isnt really keeping is simple dude.

Just take off that carry handle and throw on a rear iron sight and an optic, Nothing wrong with the post you have.

Run a front post and an eotech on a few of my guns and it works fine. Looks like this:

simple compared to soap's shit! if i can find a decent priced optic that works with the front sight i might do that.

do you just remove the red dot when you want to use irons, or does yours flip to the side?

Comment

Originally posted by Probie View Post
                  Or a primary arms microdot
                  that looks like a good deal. will that work with the front sight?

Comment

simple compared to soap's shit! if i can find a decent priced optic that works with the front sight i might do that.

do you just remove the red dot when you want to use irons, or does yours flip to the side?
                    I just roll with front and rear irons. I have a mount called an eotech dominator:

When I want to use irons I just turn off the dot. This isn't my gun but I run this setup sight wise:

And LOL @ soap comment.

Comment

ahh i see, that's cool. i wonder if that mount will accept something other than an eotech.

i really dont want to drop 500+ on an optic at the moment

Comment

ahh i see, that's cool. i wonder if that mount will accept something other than an eotech.

i really dont want to drop 500+ on an optic at the moment
                        Yes, they will. They are just standard picatinny mounts so anything aught to work.

Comment

so this should work with the front post and what looks to be a flip up rear sight? also is it acceptable to use red loctite on the gas key screws, or it a must to stake them?

Comment

Yes that should work great with the front post. As for the gas key I usually just stake them with a punch.

Comment

Headspacing should not be an issue with an ar-15. For the castle nut find one of us that has the tools and get it torqued to spec.

Comment

Working...
                              X