Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another STG44 turned in at police buyback (this time, destroyed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another STG44 turned in at police buyback (this time, destroyed)

"If I’m in possession of an antique, I’m going to do a little research before I give it away for next to nothing. Someone in Los Angeles wasn’t that smart.

Yes, that appears to be an authentic, World War II-era Sturmgewehr 44, the first-generation assault rifle. It’s worth perhaps $30,000 according to an estimate of the worth of another StG44 collected in a similar buy-back in Connecticut last year, but the LAPD doesn’t appear to have the class the Hartford PD did. Hartford allowed the rifle to be sold to collectors so that it could be preserved as the historical artifact that it is, and give the provider fair-market value.

The indication here?

The LAPD got away with near theft, and unless it is separated for special treatment, this historical artifact will likely be melted down into re-bar. For the children, or something.

Historically, gun buybacks are politically popular but cost thousands to teds of thousands of dollars and do nothing to reduce violent crime."
    Originally posted by lincolnboy
    After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Doh!

Comment

bought and paid for police chief sure looks excited.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

They can't even give it to a museum or something, or keep it in a display/training arsenal? What a shame...
        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
          They can't even give it to a museum or something, or keep it in a display/training arsenal? What a shame...
          They could if they really wanted to.

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
            They get Form 10'ed. Think of it as government life support for machineguns. They are still "alive" but no one can ever enjoy them.
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Gee, if only there were a federal agent on the board whose specific purview was firearms transfers. Surely he could make a courtesy call, or maybe even intervene and do some good.

Comment

Watch video if you want to rage:

More than 800 firearms were collected over the weekend during the city's annal gun buyback program, the mayor's office announced Monday.

Guy is so smug about destroying "the grandaddy of the assault rifle".

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
                  Watch video if you want to rage:

More than 800 firearms were collected over the weekend during the city's annal gun buyback program, the mayor's office announced Monday.

Guy is so smug about destroying "the grandaddy of the assault rifle".
                  Except for collectors/museums, guns are just tools/trash/useless and the older the more useless. Collectors are the only ones that care. Politicians with agendas don't. This one will probably turn into scrap just like the thousands before it.

Comment

The board watching that video:

Comment

Ok, well as a collector and history junkie it pisses me off.

Comment

Working...
                      X