No announcement yet.

round stuck in barrel (AR)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow that wasn't so bad. You might want to check the casing to see if there are any dents in the case itself. As CJ mentioned I had one mega catastrophic jam a couple of years ago that would make Mikhail Kalashnikov turn over in his grave.

Story goes that CJ, some friends and I are in the bush shooting shit. My Polish Tantal AK-74 variant is shooting lacquer coated ammo (steel cased) and as I am peacefully enjoying shooting rusted washing machines and huge industrial compressor tanks a jam takes place. Just like you I heard a click although my round went off. As I pull the charging handle to put a new round in it, it gets stuck. I take off the magazine and with a whack I get it clear. Check the chamber and holy fuck. The steel case is still there. Wholly and intact with the rim there. So its stuck right? FUCK. So I said lets un fuck this right now cuz I want to shoot some more. So I grab the cleaning rod attached to glorious AK and jam that shit with a push so hard that I thought it would push the case out. Nope not today said my AK and it decided it wanted to keep the rod. Ok so I said I am not shooting this anymore until we head back to camp. CJ and I take a look back at camp and I get my brass cleaning rod, jam that fucker down the barrel and take a mallet or firewood (I dont remember which one came first) and managed to punch a hole there the primer goes. (remember these are berdan primed cartridges). FUCK. Now I have to use the entire brass rod and try punching out the case along with the cleaning rod. This is where the hammer comes in hand. I wouldn't have personally worried about damaging the barrel as this problem was in the chamber, so I connect three brass rods and punch out the case. When I say punch out the case I mean, we punched the PISS out of it. Hammer and sickle along with 5 men that were wondering what could have possibly caused this. This jam took a good 20 minutes to get unfucked. I still have the lacquer coated case that caused this folly and it has a dent in the actual case. Could have been that my ammo picked up a small pebble or obstruction and jammed it in the chamber along with the case. Once it fired the case expanded along with the obstruction and left it to rest there. All in all it was an experience that I would not like to repeat again. I wouldn't say that steel cased ammo is bad because it can happen on nickel plated or brass cases as well. It was just your turn.

Glad your rifle didn't blow up. Oh yeah since my round was actually fired we heated up the chamber area, if your round didn't go off I would suggest avoiding that idea.
    First hand witness at the failure of public healthcare.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Fiux View Post
      Wow that wasn't so bad. You might want to check the casing to see if there are any dents in the case itself. As CJ mentioned I had one mega catastrophic jam a couple of years ago that would make Mikhail Kalashnikov turn over in his grave.

Story goes that CJ, some friends and I are in the bush shooting shit. My Polish Tantal AK-74 variant is shooting lacquer coated ammo (steel cased) and as I am peacefully enjoying shooting rusted washing machines and huge industrial compressor tanks a jam takes place. Just like you I heard a click although my round went off. As I pull the charging handle to put a new round in it, it gets stuck. I take off the magazine and with a whack I get it clear. Check the chamber and holy fuck. The steel case is still there. Wholly and intact with the rim there. So its stuck right? FUCK. So I said lets un fuck this right now cuz I want to shoot some more. So I grab the cleaning rod attached to glorious AK and jam that shit with a push so hard that I thought it would push the case out. Nope not today said my AK and it decided it wanted to keep the rod. Ok so I said I am not shooting this anymore until we head back to camp. CJ and I take a look back at camp and I get my brass cleaning rod, jam that fucker down the barrel and take a mallet or firewood (I dont remember which one came first) and managed to punch a hole there the primer goes. (remember these are berdan primed cartridges). FUCK. Now I have to use the entire brass rod and try punching out the case along with the cleaning rod. This is where the hammer comes in hand. I wouldn't have personally worried about damaging the barrel as this problem was in the chamber, so I connect three brass rods and punch out the case. When I say punch out the case I mean, we punched the PISS out of it. Hammer and sickle along with 5 men that were wondering what could have possibly caused this. This jam took a good 20 minutes to get unfucked. I still have the lacquer coated case that caused this folly and it has a dent in the actual case. Could have been that my ammo picked up a small pebble or obstruction and jammed it in the chamber along with the case. Once it fired the case expanded along with the obstruction and left it to rest there. All in all it was an experience that I would not like to repeat again. I wouldn't say that steel cased ammo is bad because it can happen on nickel plated or brass cases as well. It was just your turn.

Glad your rifle didn't blow up. Oh yeah since my round was actually fired we heated up the chamber area, if your round didn't go off I would suggest avoiding that idea.
      Yes 5 grown men taking turns getting physically winded trying to knock out the case. Think carnival mallet strength meter type swings.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Sounds like beer drinking fun right there
        Originally posted by Sean88gt
        You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
        Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
        You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

I have a wooden dowel just a bit longer than my barrel for for the AR I shoot steel out of. And a deadblow hammer. Though my FTE with steel all seem to be the chamber gets a little dirty then they get stuck. Cleaning the chamber after x number of mags seems to work to reduce the stickages.
          Jon

Comment

Working...
          X