Help with AR-15 5.45 questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with AR-15 5.45 questions.

Hey guys, since I still have an abundance of 5.45 cans back home and when I hit stateside this August I want to build an AR-74 or AR-15 in 5.45.

Questions are.

Where can I get a good upper with nickel boron or melonite coating to prevent having to clean the shit out of my ar once fired rather than having it corrode with the prime salt.

Most important question. Are AR-15 Pmags or standard USGI mags proprietary just for the 5.56 and 300BLK cartridge or can they work with slight modification on 5.45 cartridges as well?

I think Brian would know some of these since you own a couple...

Tnx
    First hand witness at the failure of public healthcare.

Originally posted by Mr_Fiux View Post
    Hey guys, since I still have an abundance of 5.45 cans back home and when I hit stateside this August I want to build an AR-74 or AR-15 in 5.45.

Questions are.

Where can I get a good upper with nickel boron or melonite coating to prevent having to clean the shit out of my ar once fired rather than having it corrode with the prime salt.

Most important question. Are AR-15 Pmags or standard USGI mags proprietary just for the 5.56 and 300BLK cartridge or can they work with slight modification on 5.45 cartridges as well?

Tnx
    I have an LWRC 5.45 that cleans very well, nickel boron.

AR15 pmags cause issues, I have a specific metal mag with a different follower that works flawlessly... Don't remember exactly what the specs are but can verify when I get back home.

Comment

Dude, how long will you be home?
      Originally posted by lincolnboy
      After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
        Dude, how long will you be home?
        I pray over 2 weeks perhaps 3. I still have to buy the tickets but August is my window of opportunity. Ireland and Russia are prioritized since its like $30 to fly right now.
        First hand witness at the failure of public healthcare.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Fiux View Post
          Questions are.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=xstu4260mls

Pmags work well up to about 20 rounds with 5.45x39, then the shape of the rounds cause them to nose dive. I have had very good luck with the C-Products mags, but I had to bend the lips to get them to work. I've toyed with the idea of putting the C-Products followers in a pmag, but I've never got around to it.

I personally only own 1, my 11.5" SBR and I love shooting it. I don't have a NB barrel either, I just drop the upper/BCG into a warm soapy sink and let it soak for about 10 min, then bore clean, oil and re-assemble. My AK gets the same treatment.

If you need to get rid of some of that 5.45..I might know a guy...

Tnx
          P.S. Hit me up when you return stateside, we'll go shooting together (got some new toys)

Comment

Working...
          X