Smith and Wesson 38 S & W? MODEL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smith and Wesson 38 S & W? MODEL?

Does anyone know anything about these pistols? My dad inherited from his father. I know it's a 38 S&W

Besides the serial number, the only writing on this is across the length of the barrel on the top. It reads: Smith & Wesson Springfield, Mass, USA Pat'd Jan. 24. 6. July 11. 6. Aug. 24. 69 reissue July 25. 71. May 11. 80. Jan. 5. 82.

serial number is 124,XXX
    Last edited by MULEY4X4; 01-31-2014, 12:40 PM.

Comment

I'd be willing to bet you can look up the patent dates and see when they renewed after 82'. This will at least give you a window though or a good chance to find out more about it.

As far as S&W goes, from what I have read as I also have a pistol I was curious about, you have to write S&W and they will look into their archives for that pistol and then provide you a written letter back with the provenance of the piece.

I can’t give you the direct web address as my company blocks firearms related web sites though I just Googled "how to find out information about my S&W pistol" and the second Non-ad result is what you are looking for.
      Originally posted by Sean88gt
      You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
      Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
      You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

That looks like a Model 3, but it may be a repop. If it is, and it's a .38, it should also be .38-40, which is actually a .40 bullet. Get its value estimated for insurance. Jackson Armory in Dallas is a good place to get that done, unless you know a shop that specializes in antique stuff closer to you.
        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
          That looks like a Model 3, but it may be a repop. If it is, and it's a .38, it should also be .38-40, which is actually a .40 bullet. Get its value estimated for insurance. Jackson Armory in Dallas is a good place to get that done, unless you know a shop that specializes in antique stuff closer to you.

My dad has it. We are having the trouble with the model number. They all look fairly similar. why did they not mark them with the model at the time?

Comment

Originally posted by MULEY4X4 View Post
            My dad has it. We are having the trouble with the model number. They all look fairly similar. why did they not mark them with the model at the time?
            Because it was the only model they made, and only the third numbered model at that. If you had a Model 3, you just had a model 3. You ordered it how you wanted, and that's it. Stocking dealers had to decide how to order them. Modern repops say things like, "Schofield," and, "Russian," depending on how they're configured, because they're built to copy specific runs of pistols. That's the really fun part: They changed features without changing names, or any explanation. I'd honestly take it to Jackson Armory, and see what they can tell you about it.

Comment

Any idea on rough value??

Comment

Zero, lol.

Comment

Working...
                X