No announcement yet.

The excrement just hit the fan, you have 5 minutes to grab your things and gtfo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After reading through this over a few days I'm realizing that I'm screwed if I had to bug out on short notice on foot

Comment

• Originally posted by Jose View Post
      After reading through this over a few days I'm realizing that I'm screwed if I had to bug out on short notice on foot
      You are not the only one...all you can do is just work with what you got

Comment

• No one has fishmox in their bug out bags? I guess I am the only one who thinks I will get a sexually transmitted disease.

I should be in good shape as I live on the edge of town and only 2 miles from the family farm.

Comment

• Originally posted by Machx2 View Post
          No one has fishmox in their bug out bags? I guess I am the only one who thinks I will get a sexually transmitted disease.

I should be in good shape as I live on the edge of town and only 2 miles from the family farm.
          I have it in mine.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• why are yall fucking fish?

jk

Comment

• Fishmox?

I was faced with this situation last Friday when a river flash flooded on us. Not quite an end of the world scenario but a bug out scenario none the less.

What I grabbed:

Switched from river shoes to hiking shoes (super glad I did this)
              Water (as much as I could carry)
              Energy bars and dried fruit
              My wallet/glasses/cellphone
              GPS
              Topographical map of the area
              Snake guards
              Walking stick
              Hat
              Frog Tog Poncho
              Camp Knife
              A couple bungie cords
              Rope

Most of this worked out well, we only ended up having to "survive" for about 6 hours before the helicopter got us but I feel I could have hiked for a couple days with this load out. Things I would have done differently is a) grab my gun b) Keep a signal mirror in my pack. we had a sat phone but this would have been invaluable if we didn't. c) have a dedicated back pack for this. I used a camera sling bag to bug out and it wasn't very comfortable or spacious

Things that paid dividends aside from water and food were a)having good shoes. If you have a bug out bag but shoes you can't hike in, you are doing it wrong. I recommend keens if you have wide feet or Merrells if narrow b) Frog Tog Poncho. I actually got this thing because it was only ten bucks at walmart and packs small; it was actually an afterthought because we didn't expect much rain, if any, at all. Tell you what though I was very glad I had this and if we would have had to sleep in the desert over night would have served well as a shelter or sleeping pad. C) A good knife; self explanatory.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Frogg-Toggs-FTP1714-09-Action-Poncho/dp/B007X5Z1S6/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1403836914&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=frog+tog+poncho[/ame]

I also bugged out with this solar panel, although I didn't use it during the actual bug out. It did however work well for the rest of the trip. You can get these for 80 bucks at Cabelas right now. It can charge one of those pocket chargers in about five hours. You can also plug your phone directly to it, although it charges slow. I had mine out on a sunny day and it charged my iPhone 1% every 4 minutes, so pretty slow. Make sure your phone is on airplane mode when you charge.

I also got the Goal Zero "Switch" which I wasn't very impressed with and will be returning. It charges your phone fast but takes a while to charge, doesn't hold a charge well, and gets hot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Danny46 View Post
                Fishmox?

I was faced with this situation last Friday when a river flash flooded on us. Not quite an end of the world scenario but a bug out scenario none the less.

What I grabbed:

Switched from river shoes to hiking shoes (super glad I did this)
                Water (as much as I could carry)
                Energy bars and dried fruit
                My wallet/glasses/cellphone
                GPS
                Topographical map of the area
                Snake guards
                Walking stick
                Hat
                Frog Tog Poncho
                Camp Knife
                A couple bungie cords
                Rope

Most of this worked out well, we only ended up having to "survive" for about 6 hours before the helicopter got us but I feel I could have hiked for a couple days with this load out. Things I would have done differently is a) grab my gun b) Keep a signal mirror in my pack. we had a sat phone but this would have been invaluable if we didn't. c) have a dedicated back pack for this. I used a camera sling bag to bug out and it wasn't very comfortable or spacious

Things that paid dividends aside from water and food were a)having good shoes. If you have a bug out bag but shoes you can't hike in, you are doing it wrong. I recommend keens if you have wide feet or Merrells if narrow b) Frog Tog Poncho. I actually got this thing because it was only ten bucks at walmart and packs small; it was actually an afterthought because we didn't expect much rain, if any, at all. Tell you what though I was very glad I had this and if we would have had to sleep in the desert over night would have served well as a shelter or sleeping pad. C) A good knife; self explanatory.

I also bugged out with this solar panel, although I didn't use it during the actual bug out. It did however work well for the rest of the trip. You can get these for 80 bucks at Cabelas right now. It can charge one of those pocket chargers in about five hours. You can also plug your phone directly to it, although it charges slow. I had mine out on a sunny day and it charged my iPhone 1% every 4 minutes, so pretty slow. Make sure your phone is on airplane mode when you charge.

I also got the Goal Zero "Switch" which I wasn't very impressed with and will be returning. It charges your phone fast but takes a while to charge, doesn't hold a charge well, and gets hot.
                Fishmox is Amoxicillin for fish. Kicker is, it is actually human grade and the same stuff you would get with a prescription for an infection.

Comment

• Thanks for the tip on fishmox. I've made 3 bob's now. One for me, the wife, and my son. Bugging out on foot would be terrible. Ideally you bug out very early, otherwise you are going to have to hunker down at costco until most idiots are gone.

I give boss troggs ponchos 5 thumbs up. You can buy a heavier duty version on amazon. You need one if you ever have to be outside in weather.

Comment

• Originally posted by Machx2 View Post
                    Fishmox is Amoxicillin for fish. Kicker is, it is actually human grade and the same stuff you would get with a prescription for an infection.
                    Does it come in pill format or powder?

Comment

• Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
                      Does it come in pill format or powder?
                      pills.
                      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• 91coupemike's badass truck!

god bless.
                        It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

• Figure this is as good as a place to post it as any. I read about Ruger coming out with a "take down" version of their SR-556 a few weeks ago but forgot about it until I came across these videos today.

It may not be an SBR but I happen to like the gas piston Ruger AR's and having a "Takedown" version of the SR-556 would come in handy in a SHTH/Bug Out situation.

Comment

• I'm headed to the Colorado Mountains on Friday. Bought a 45W tri-panel solar kit with voltage monitor. We will see how it does. I will be using my campers 12V battery as a storage device. If it goes well and keeps it charged, I may add a second battery onto the tongue for more storage.

Basically want to keep the battery charged for water pump, lights, being able to charge the wife's laptop (she is in school and needs to work offline on some projects longer than her battery will allow)

Comment

• So I finished reading this book One Second After a couple of weeks ago and between that, the end of Fear the Waking Dead and the return of The Walking Dead I thought about this thread. Pretty crazy read and a lot more realistic than a zombies apocalypses but it had me reevaluating my current situation; food, water, gas, firearms, ammo, etc.

I don't have a BOB but I do have much of my camping stuff in stackable plastic boxes that I use for storing it. My camping trip to New Mexico last year I bought my first water filter and I'm already of thinking of upgrading that. This year I bought a Goal Zero solar panel setup with a battery generator that I used on my camping trip this year to New Mexico. Comes in handy and a lot more convenient than charging everything in the truck but this also has me thinking about upgrading. Finally, I have a lot of canned foods and food in a big freezer in the basement that honestly I have no idea of it's age. Time to start clearing that out and dating anything new I have and rotating it.

Just wondering if anyone has given this any thought recently.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jose View Post
                                So I finished reading this book One Second After a couple of weeks ago and between that, the end of Fear the Waking Dead and the return of The Walking Dead I thought about this thread. Pretty crazy read and a lot more realistic than a zombies apocalypses but it had me reevaluating my current situation; food, water, gas, firearms, ammo, etc.

I don't have a BOB but I do have much of my camping stuff in stackable plastic boxes that I use for storing it. My camping trip to New Mexico last year I bought my first water filter and I'm already of thinking of upgrading that. This year I bought a Goal Zero solar panel setup with a battery generator that I used on my camping trip this year to New Mexico. Comes in handy and a lot more convenient than charging everything in the truck but this also has me thinking about upgrading. Finally, I have a lot of canned foods and food in a big freezer in the basement that honestly I have no idea of it's age. Time to start clearing that out and dating anything new I have and rotating it.

Just wondering if anyone has given this any thought recently.
                                Why freezer foods? Mountain house food is excellent and can be stored dry for like 25 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X