Long(er) distance pistol shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long(er) distance pistol shooting

Good friend and I did some shooting today. We had all sorts of guns, but had the most fun with my 4.2" SP101 .357mag and his 4" GP100 .357 mag. We were both shooting our own reloads.
    Started out at normal distances of 10-15yds. Got bored with the easy shooting so we decided to back it up a bit. Backed up to 70yds on the pistol range and were shooting at/hitting a swinging steel plate that measures 10" tall by 5" wide. It took a few rounds to learn where to hold, but once we figured it out, man was it rewarding hearing that Ding!
    Click all pics for video.
    Me with SP101 at 70yds

Friend with GP100 at 70yds

Went over to the rifle range and after sending some rounds down range with a few rifles, tried our hand at balloons at 100yds with our revolvers. We missed way more than we hit on our first to-round. Took a little break to rest the hands, then tried again. These were the first tries after the break. Seated with left elbow resting on the shooting bench.
    Me - SP101 - Balloon at 100yds

Friend - GP100 - Balloon at 100yds

All in all, we had a Blast shooting today!!
    Sorry, don't have a youtube account...
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Looks like fun. Nice shooting. I saw the .357 video on Facebook

Comment

Y'all need to tuck those elbows in, and lean forward!
      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Not sure what you mean by tucking elbows in. Straighten my right arm completely? Or you talking about rotating my elbows/shoulders down? If the latter, I can't shoot for shit that way. Maybe I'm not doing it right...

I am leaning slightly forward, but not as far as I see others leaning.
        "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
          Not sure what you mean by tucking elbows in. Straighten my right arm completely? Or you talking about rotating my elbows/shoulders down? If the latter, I can't shoot for shit that way. Maybe I'm not doing it right...

I am leaning slightly forward, but not as far as I see others leaning.
          You should try Weaver or Isosceles stance, and see which one you like.

Comment

Like yale said. Tuck ur elbows in and anchor ur arms toward ur torso. Low center of grav with a mor solid shooting profile. Ur elbows are not quite locked but close. BUT, If ur current stance works then more power to ya.
            Last edited by Tannerm; 02-16-2014, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Looks like im using the weaver stance and my friend is using the isoceles.

From looking, in either position you can keep your elbow(s) slightly bent so your elbow absorbs the recoil or lock the elbow and let the shoulders absorb the recoil.

All comes down to preference.

Comment

Originally posted by Tannerm View Post
                Like yale said. Tuck ur elbows in and anchor ur arms toward ur torso. Low center of grav with a mor solid shooting profile. Ur elbows are not quite locked but close. BUT, If ur current stance works then more power to ya.
                Are you high?
                Originally posted by Theodore Roosevelt
                It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming...

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
                  Looks like im using the weaver stance and my friend is using the isoceles.

From looking, in either position you can keep your elbow(s) slightly bent so your elbow absorbs the recoil or lock the elbow and let the shoulders absorb the recoil.

All comes down to preference.
                  Pretty much. Weaver comes from the old point-shooting crowd, but it's still applicable. Isosceles and modern isosceles dominate the competition circuits, but that's because it was developed for them.

Comment

Working...
                  X