10/22 issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10/22 issue

Anyone ever heard of a stuck case with a Ruger 10/22? My brother has a brand new one, unmodified. His son was making the pew pew and was supporting it with his off hand under the magazine well. Anyway it went pew pew pew pew poof and shot a bunch of powder burn into his palm. My brother sent me pics and you can see the brass in the flash of the camera. Case head is either blown off or ripped off. He couldn't find out why the gun would not cycle another round. With your bare eye you can't see it. It took the flash to catch in a picture. Told him to take a cleaning rod and a .22lr jag and see if it will catch the case first.

Ammo was cheap Tula.
    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Sounds like an ammo issue, not a gun issue.
    If all else fails, take the barrel off to get at the stuck case easier.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

It happens. It sounds like it was a shitty piece of brass, and that's the problem. He can knock out the case with a wooden dowel or a piece of brass rod, if he doesn't have a cleaning rod.
      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Could this have been some of the recalled Winchester that was overloaded?

Edit: Overlooked the OPs last sentence.
        Last edited by Samhain; 02-19-2014, 07:59 AM.
        Originally posted by Broncojohnny
        Would you like your reparations in 5.56mm or 7.62mm?

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
          It happens. It sounds like it was a shitty piece of brass, and that's the problem. He can knock out the case with a wooden dowel or a piece of brass rod, if he doesn't have a cleaning rod.
          That is what I told him. He actually argued for a little bit that there wasn't a case in there still until I had him look at the pictures he sent me.

Cheap Tula ammo is what I attributed it to. I wouldn't think that the extractor on a 10/22 bolt could rip the case head off and the fact my nephew had powder burns (very minor, rubbed dirt on it to make it better) tells me the charge fired out the back of the case pushing the bolt back and charge down past the magazine. I wonder it the projectile might still be stuck in the barrel. I need to have him look.....of course he will notice while trying to clear it too.

Comment

10/22 issue

I am willing to put money on an overcharge. I didn't even know Tula was making 22 now. I thought they stuck to crappy steel case center fire stuff.

I would be real hesitant to shoot any more of that lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
              I am willing to put money on an overcharge. I didn't even know Tula was making 22 now. I thought they stuck to crappy steel case center fire stuff.
              Apparently they have moved on to crappy brass case rim fire stuff

After all of the stories (here, net) I honestly dont even think of buying the stuff, even when its the only ammo on the shelf.
              Originally posted by Sean88gt
              You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
              Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
              You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtracer View Post
                Apparently they have moved on to crappy brass case rim fire stuff

Not willing to label it crap yet. Winchester of all people just had a massive 22 recall due to overcharge. The lot of M22 I have is slightly undercharged. I don't know why a previously reliable company is producing shit ammo. I heard some rumor about a new primer formulation standard, maybe they are having issue getting it dialed in?

Comment

He is over it and is going to get a cleaning rod today. Can't believe he doesn't have one.

He has already ready to toss the ammo.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                    He is over it and is going to get a cleaning rod today. Can't believe he doesn't have one.

He has already ready to toss the ammo.

Does he live up near you? I would be glad to lend him a jag if he can't find one or give him a hand getting the case out.

Comment

Nah, he stays in Arlington somewhere. Kind of a couch surfer since he works 14 on 7 off.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                        Nah, he stays in Arlington somewhere. Kind of a couch surfer since he works 14 on 7 off.

Well the offer stands. If he feels like heading to Watauga I would be glad to give him a hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
                          Well the offer stands. If he feels like heading to Watauga I would be glad to give him a hand.
                          Thanks, I appreciate it.

If nothing else is learned this is at least a lesson in problem solving for him. I told him that malfunctions happen. Rare for a 10/22 so I was glad to see it was shitty ammo. At first it sounded like his brand new gun for my nephew was a lemon since they only put 30 rounds through it. He will get it figured out and be smarter because of it. I told him to wait around for his son to get out of school today to fix it so he can use the lesson.

Comment

Not a problem man, sounds like he has some learning to do regarding firearms anyhow.

Comment

Working...
                            X