Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions on a couple of possible buys (.45 ACP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on a couple of possible buys (.45 ACP)

Well, I picked up a XDs 45 and I like the idea of a 45 pocket gun, though it is not much fun to shoot. Of course, it is a sub compact and I don’t think many are fun to shoot coming from that category.

So, I am back into 45, I wanted a G29 but the reduced barrel length really doesn’t do much for velocity and stability so I felt the larger yet slower 45 was perfect for a sub compact pistol.

Well now I am wanting another toy, but more so to go shooting at the range and have fun. I am torn between a couple of options:

Eaa Witness Match 45 (I have the 10mm version) $580ish
    XDM-C 45 $600ish
    CZ97 B (or BD) $500
    STI Spartan 5" $630ish

As stated, I only have one other .45 and it is the XDs, I thought about the XDm as perhaps it would fit my hand a bit better, though I plan on keeping the XDs just because of its small size.

I know they prices for these guns vary, but they are all pretty close to each other +/- $75; I have been using Gun Broker for pricing.

Just looking for opinions from current owners or any experience you may have. I see a XDm in the classifieds though I am curious why they are selling.
    Originally posted by Sean88gt
    You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
    Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
    You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

I just picked up the XD45 compact to try for an every day carry. I'm sure I'll end up with a sub compact sooner rather than later but I couldn't find anything that I liked enough to want to buy.

Oh and I want to say Eaa Witness Match 45 but that Spartan is pretty tempting, especially with it being in stock at Grab a Gun.
    Originally posted by Jester
    Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
    He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
    Originally posted by Denny
    What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
    FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
      I just picked up the XD45 compact to try for an every day carry. I'm sure I'll end up with a sub compact sooner rather than later but I couldn't find anything that I liked enough to want to buy.

Oh and I want to say Eaa Witness Match 45 but that Spartan is pretty tempting, especially with it being in stock at Grab a Gun.
      Yeah I found out about the Spartan last night though I have yet to handle one. However, seeing as it is based off the original 1911 design (as so many are) I am sure it would feel right at home in my hand.

I never really liked the original XD, the top always seemed a bit "tall" or top heavy for lack of a better description. Of course, I am judging a book by its cover here, though they just never appealed to me. The XDs is my first Springfield.

The reason I am leaning towards the spartan is the grouping and accuracy straight out of the box, plus there are a ton of mods you can do. I was at the range this past Sunday and a guy next to me was shooting a Nighthawk Preditor III and it was boringly accurate. I cant afford a $3.5k gun so I started to look around which led me to STI.

Really want to hear from CJ as well with regards to EAA Match 45 as I think he owns one.

So I am torn, another compact (XDm) that is perhaps a bit more comfortable even though I have yet to get my CHL (coming soon). Though I can just keep shooting the XDs until I become comfortable. I already have the grip extensions, Slip on rubber grip, Me-Pro night sights and a sight pusher so there is no getting rid of it...yet lol
      Or a tack driver that is just a blast to shoot
      You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
      You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

I'd say grab the Spartan, unless you can find the Witness in stock.
        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
          I'd say grab the Spartan, unless you can find the Witness in stock.
          I can find both in stock and at prices better than most online "stores". Gunbroker has become a new addiction of mine, that and their "Buy Now" option. Plus if you buy from out of state, no sales tax.

Though I will say the Spartans tend to run a bit high on there, though you will see one or two every now and then pop up for around $600

So you would chose the Witness over the Spartan? I know the Witness Match I have is AMAZING, though I wasnt sure how the .45 stacks up

Comment

Originally posted by Gtracer View Post
            Yeah I found out about the Spartan last night though I have yet to handle one. However, seeing as it is based off the original 1911 design (as so many are) I am sure it would feel right at home in my hand.

I never really liked the original XD, the top always seemed a bit "tall" or top heavy for lack of a better description. Of course, I am judging a book by its cover here, though they just never appealed to me. The XDs is my first Springfield.

The reason I am leaning towards the spartan is the grouping and accuracy straight out of the box, plus there are a ton of mods you can do. I was at the range this past Sunday and a guy next to me was shooting a Nighthawk Preditor III and it was boringly accurate. I cant afford a $3.5k gun so I started to look around which led me to STI.

Really want to hear from CJ as well with regards to EAA Match 45 as I think he owns one.

So I am torn, another compact (XDm) that is perhaps a bit more comfortable even though I have yet to get my CHL (coming soon). Though I can just keep shooting the XDs until I become comfortable. I already have the grip extensions, Slip on rubber grip, Me-Pro night sights and a sight pusher so there is no getting rid of it...yet lol
            Or a tack driver that is just a blast to shoot
            CJ's has a standard Witness and it shoots very similar to a 1911 so I'm sure the Elite Match shoots even better.

I shot both the XDS in 9mm and .45 and I had a problem with the sights. It seems like the sights were off on both pistols and I couldn't put my shots where I wanted them. Granted this was a range gun, so that could be the culprit.

If you'd like to shoot an XD, let me know, I've got the XD Service model in 9mm and I think it's perfectly balanced for a pistol.

How does the XDm shoot? I've shot 1 XDm in .40 and for whatever reason the gun just felt loose. The mag, slide, trigger and all. Don't know if it was just that one pistol (belonged to a friend) or if that's how they all feel, but I wasn't impressed with it to say the least.
            Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.

Comment

I can find both in stock and at prices better than most online "stores". Gunbroker has become a new addiction of mine, that and their "Buy Now" option. Plus if you buy from out of state, no sales tax.

Though I will say the Spartans tend to run a bit high on there, though you will see one or two every now and then pop up for around $600

So you would chose the Witness over the Spartan? I know the Witness Match I have is AMAZING, though I wasnt sure how the .45 stacks up
              Yeah, I would choose the Witness, but I'm just not in love with 1911's.

Comment

CJ's has a standard Witness and it shoots very similar to a 1911 so I'm sure the Elite Match shoots even better.

I shot both the XDS in 9mm and .45 and I had a problem with the sights. It seems like the sights were off on both pistols and I couldn't put my shots where I wanted them. Granted this was a range gun, so that could be the culprit.
                I actually had the same problem, so did the RO's that were around as I let them take a whack at it. 10yd's, 5 shots, I didnt even hit paper which was a first for me. To say I was suprised would be modest, I was concerned lol.

One of the RO's squated down so that he could use the table as a rest and managed to put 5 of 5 in a 4" group so I knew at that moment it was me. I worked on my technique, adjusting minor things here and there and found a way to get about a 6" grouping at 10yds which I am sure will improve over time. The sights do appear to be off a bit, the front sight specifically, though I took a caliper to the front sight and it is dead center. The sights themselves are a bit low, which requires me to raise the firearm a bit higher than I am used too, though I still feel this is the best CCW for the money. I paid $475 out the door for this XDs

If you'd like to shoot an XD, let me know, I've got the XD Service model in 9mm and I think it's perfectly balanced for a pistol.

How does the XDm shoot? I've shot 1 XDm in .40 and for whatever reason the gun just felt loose. The mag, slide, trigger and all. Don't know if it was just that one pistol (belonged to a friend) or if that's how they all feel, but I wasn't impressed with it to say the least.
                Thanks for the offer and the XDm feedback. They look like solid pistols though I have yet to handle one, I am suprised that it felt "lose".

Comment

Yeah, I would choose the Witness, but I'm just not in love with 1911's.

Well hell, the Witness is even less expensive than the Spartan, looks like this might be an easy choice afterall.

Comment

You could just buy a longslide upper in 45 and use it on your current Witness Match.

I have a Witness match in 9mm and a standard Witness in 40, but have a long slide in 10mm that swaps in perfectly. You can buy direct from EAA, but the longslides show up occasionally on gunbroker.

Comment

Originally posted by BigTex71 View Post
                      You could just buy a longslide upper in 45 and use it on your current Witness Match.

I have a Witness match in 9mm and a standard Witness in 40, but have a long slide in 10mm that swaps in perfectly. You can buy direct from EAA, but the longslides show up occasionally on gunbroker.
                      This is the smart way which is probably the way I should go, but I have this obsession to have my gun safe looking like CJ's one day...and buying just the slide I will not achieve this goal

lol

Comment

Not gonna lie, I am suprised there is no love for the CZ 97 B in here.

Based off no experience or just no likey, I am curious?

Comment

I've venture to say that many of us feel the same way about the CZ as we do the Witness since they're pretty much the same platform.

Comment

You're almost talking about the same gun, just scaled up a bit.

Comment

You're almost talking about the same gun, just scaled up a bit.
                              True, I guess the Match would be a step up from the basic design

Okay so how about this:

Witness Match or CZ97?

I am guessing the Match

Comment

Working...
                              X