Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rifle Competition (small group, hunting style course designed for First Timers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rifle Competition (small group, hunting style course designed for First Timers)

Anyone interested in a friendly but competitive "hunting" style match? (100-400yds)

I have never shot a match before and these two guys know what they are doing and decided to setup a match. Entry is $50 and its not a big payout:

1st= $100
    2nd= $75
    3-5= $Entry Fee refund
    Prize table: Game cams, optics, free long range lesson from Jason and free ammo certs from Chad.

They also are going to have some prizes that have been donated by their vendors and others who have contacts. Chad is from DallasReloads.com and Jason was part of Team Tejas so both are pretty handy guys.

Check out the link, match is March 15th in Wolf City and one guy who lives in town has talked about bringing his smoker with him so we might have some BBQ. Also we plan on having some beers afterwards.

I am a socially introvert person so this was a big step for me to go out and be friendly and willing to meet new folks, though this is something I want to do. This will be a small group (35 at most) though we still need a couple of more folks to sign up so that it will be profitable to Chad and Jason for their time, effort and supplies.

If interested, click http://www.texashuntingforum.com/for...pe#Post4954287

Hunting Challenge- Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and Details

Come show off your gear and shooting ability! We plan to gear this match for hunters and first time "match" shooters. We want targets big enough for hits, but small enough to make it challenging. Range Officers will provide plenty of assistance and guidance, if needed.

Date: Saturday, March 15th, 2014
    Time: Check-in begins at 8am, Confirm rifle zero at 100 yards (highly encouraged!) from 8-8:30 am. Match starts at 9 am til about 12 or 1 pm, or until complete
    Cost- $50 per shooter
    Location- Wolfe City, TX
    Number of shooters- 35
    Round Count- 50 rifle rounds (bring 60 just in case)

1st place- $100 cash
    2nd- $75 cash
    3rd-5th get their $50 entry fee back
    There will also be some prizes. Jason will donate a free shooting lesson and Custom Reloads will donate some ammo certificates, and maybe a raffle or two.

SIGN UP- Go to www.dallasreloads.com, and on the top right of the home page you will see "Hunting Challenge- Rifle Competition". Click on link, and follow the directions. Payment is due upon sign-up by mailing a check payable to:

Jason Garvey
    2560 King Arthur Blvd
    Suite 124 PMB 72
    Lewisville, TX 75056

Non refundable payment is due immediately upon sign-up. There will be a max of 35 shooters. Once the 35 shooter limit is reached, we will have a waiting list. Entry form is time stamped and money received will be the deciding factors on when the 35th shooter limit is reached.

Competition will be held Saturday, March 15th. The location of the match will be just outside of Wolfe City, TX, between Wolfe City and Bailey, near Highway 11. Cost is $50 per shooter.

Rifle and ammunition information: Max speed limit of 3100 fps! No FMJ bullets. Calibers we could NOT run are 22-250 or 223 Rem running faster than 3000-3100 fps. Anything faster than 3100 fps will dent the steel, or poke through the steel. If you have a question on this, please contact us. Your fast, hot-rod rounds (like a 257 Weatherby) would not be allowed, simply due to the speed of the bullet and damaging the steel targets. Your 308 Win, 270 Win, 7 Mag, 300 Win Mag, should be fine. Round count should be around 40-50 rounds, with each stage having no more than 3 to 5 rounds per stage. The idea of this match is to expose hunters to some challenging and fun courses of fire, while putting you under the time clock for the added stress to make a hit. Scopes that can dial for elevation are welcomed. This match is geared for the basic factory hunting rifles, not the high end competition rifles. Bring any shooting gear you will need to shoot this match- bipods, back packs, ruck sacks, rear sand bags, etc. Each shooter will have a set up time, and then their stage will begin. If you need a loaner rifle, I will offer up my bolt gun 270 Winchester and my suppressed Remington model 7 in 300 Black Out, if you pay for the ammo.

Match details:
    We plan to gear this match for the first time "match" shooters. We want targets big enough for hits, but small enough to make it challenging. Stages would consist of steel and reactive targets out to 300 yards. Some shooting positions would be from a bench, prone, standing off-hand, kneeling, off a T-post, off a barricade, and out a deer blind window. Reactive targets would be 2" clay pigeons, steel coyote targets, steel 4" poppers, KYL (know your limits) and any other steel targets or stages we can think of and can come up with. All stages would have a generous time limit to complete the stage. Most targets will be a "HIT" or a "MISS". Whoever has the most points at the end, wins! Here are a few of the ideas we have so far:

KYL (know your limits)- steel
    Shooting Off T-post
    5 shot- 1" Dot drill at 100 yards
    Coyote- steel
    Pepper poppers- from the front of a shooting chair mounted on a truck
    2” Clay Pigeons, 4” clays between 150 and 200 yards
    Deer stand shot- steel plates
    Gobbler chair shot- with shooting sticks
    Prarie Dog poppers off truck
    Plus more!
    Maybe a few bonus stages mixed in.

We are thinking about 8-10 stages, maybe 12.
    Last edited by Gtracer; 02-27-2014, 01:26 PM.
    Originally posted by Sean88gt
    You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
    Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
    You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

I was wanting to go hut it will be over a 3hr drive one way for me. Still might though.
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

I'm going out of town or I would be pretty interested. Looks like a fun time!

Comment

That is in my back yard, I used to live in Wolfe City. I am not skilled enough to participate though
        Originally posted by Leah
        Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

I need more ammo...begrudgingly going to zero 3 rifles and don't want to shoot that ammo.

It seems like a REALLY good time though.
          Originally posted by MR EDD
          U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
            That is in my back yard, I used to live in Wolfe City. I am not skilled enough to participate though
            I have never hunted nor have I ever participated in any shooting competition before. They are also going to have a sight in period (100yd) from 8-8:30AM where they will also be providing pointers and assistance.

Trust me, the last thing these guys want is a stray bullet leaving the course, they will assist anywhere they deem fit. Chad and Jason also will have a few personal rifles for folks who dont even own a rifle. This was designed with a beginner/novice in mind.

Come on out, it won’t happen unless more folks sign up; as of right now we are short some folks.

I also am having to drive from Irving, but hell, I wont be doing anything before 1-2 anyways on a Saturday so why not. A little shooting, little eating and some beer afterwards, fun to be had and lessons to be learned.
            You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
            You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

I may entertain it closer to the date if you need people. Right now, I can't commit to Saturday's that far out because work is so busy

Comment

I may entertain it closer to the date if you need people. Right now, I can't commit to Saturday's that far out because work is so busy
                Understood, they will not be cashing any checks until 2 days out and if it does not happen, Jason will not be cashing the checks

Comment

Sounds like a lot of fun. May be interested. Will know by tomorrow if I'm a definite yes.

<--- 3,000th post!!!!
                  "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
                    Sounds like a lot of fun. May be interested. Will know by tomorrow if I'm a definite yes.

<--- 3,000th post!!!!
                    Sounds good, the more the better

Just a FYI folks, spots are reserved based off payment received so no need to let anyone know though it is nice. Just send in $50 to Jason in a personal check and your good.

Chad and Jason both do not want to go off of post stating that people will join just to show up and only have 15 shooters which is why they are going off payment received.

Comment

Stop by the Cowboy Cafe in Wolfe City for a burger.

Comment

Yeah, I was told to STAY AWAY from any burger places in and or around the area...especially one that looks like a little blue house

Comment

Heh, there has never really been a good food joint. The rawhide cafe wasn't terrible, though it hasn't been around in years. The two biggest stores in town are the liquor store and the dollar general. The Grocery store went out of business a few years ago.

Comment

the two biggest stores in town are the liquorstore and the dollar general. The grocery store went out of business a few years ago.
                            lol

Comment

sounds fun am going to check and see if I am off.. would be going from Waxahachie / Red Oak area if anyone wanted to carpool
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X