Stamping felon on a driver's license

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stamping felon on a driver's license

Had a brief interaction with a middle school kid yesterday. He wanted to know if I was wearing a glock (because all black pistols are glocks) he went on to tell his buddy he was going to buy all the traditional juvenile gangster weapons (glock, uzi, ak). So I smarted off while they were taking them to iss that he would never get those as a felon, he responded that he would get them illegally anyway.

All of this got me thinking should drivers license have some indicator/stamp so that private sellers and retailers would instantly know who the are dealing with? I know it wont stop straw purchases but it would create a layer of complication.

Yeah right...Right after they stamp ILLEGAL on illegal aliens drivers licenses.

Comment

Kind of defeats the purpose of having your debt paid to society.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
        If their debt waw truely paid then a conviction and time served would not prevent them from voting or owning guns.
        I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

No. I know several felons that did their time and are great people now. Not every felon is a repeat offender. Some learn from their mistakes
          07 f250-family truckster
          08 Denali -baby hauler
          52 f1-rust bucket
          05 Jeep tj. Buggy
          livin the double-wide dream

Comment

Ask for a CHL.
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I knew this would be brought up, but in many situations serving jail time alone does not alleviate a person of the crimes committed against society.

Unlawful Possession Of Firearm = http://law.onecle.com/texas/penal/46.04.00.html

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
                I knew this would be brought up, but in many situations serving jail time alone does not alleviate a person of the crimes committed against society.

Unlawful Possession Of Firearm = http://law.onecle.com/texas/penal/46.04.00.html
                That is more along the lines of "we forgive, but we can't forget"

Comment

That is more along the lines of "we forgive, but we can't forget"
                  even the ACLU wont champion the removal felon in possession of firearms laws.

'if you dont want to do the time, dont do the crime'

Comment

even the ACLU wont champion the removal felon in possession of firearms laws.

'if you dont want to do the time, dont do the crime'
                    The aclu is blantantly anti-second amendment.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
                      The aclu is blantantly anti-second amendment.
                      doesnt matter no other political / social movement group would champion it either

Comment

doesnt matter no other political / social movement group would champion it either
                        They should. There is no reason that 100% of rights should not he restored after serving your sentence.

Comment

They should. There is no reason that 100% of rights should not he restored after serving your sentence.
                          except statistically most criminals just keep doing whats wrong until they get caught again.

Some of that is currently caused by the prison industry, some of its the failure to reform prisoners (cost, repeat offender failure rate), and some its placing the released back into the same environment. But there has always been the criminal element that prays on society, there has also been those who want revenge on society for putting them in prison, and there are the weak minded that fall prey to the more devious and divisive individuals.

Its like alcoholics some stop, some falter a couple times, while others never stop and there is no way of identifying which a person is

Comment

except statistically most criminals just keep doing whats wrong until they get caught again.

Some of that is currently caused by the prison industry, some of its the failure to reform prisoners (cost, repeat offender failure rate), and some its placing the released back into the same environment. But there has always been the criminal element that prays on society, there has also been those who want revenge on society for putting them in prison, and there are the weak minded that fall prey to the more devious and divisive individuals.

Its like alcoholics some stop, some falter a couple times, while others never stop and there is no way of identifying which a person is
                            A solution to that would be if you commit a crime and are sentenced to 15 years, it is 15 years and no less. No parole, no early release, and no 5 - 15 year sentences like we do now. You serve 100% of the sentence. Once out probation for a few years like we do now with heavy restrictions and monitoring. After successful parole rights are restored. Repeat offenders get mandatory heavier sentences. No plea bargains. No deals. You fuck up but serve time and correct yourself then I have no problems with you. I also think all.comforts in prison should be taken away; prison should be a horrible experience. Our legal system really needs to be cleaned up and fixed. As for the rights of felons, the way I see it if we dont want you owning guns, that basically means you cant be trusted and you should not be out of prison yet. That and a paid debt should literally mean a completely paid debt.

Comment

If their debt was truly paid then a conviction and time served would not prevent them from voting or owning guns.
                              I hire felons and would find a reason to fire them IF they DID NOT vote. Felons in TX can vote. Your statement is also an example of circular logic; a convict abiding by the law shows that they are not the equal to "Normal citizens".

A solution to that would be if you commit a crime and are sentenced to 15 years, it is 15 years and no less. No parole, no early release, and no 5 - 15 year sentences like we do now. You serve 100% of the sentence. Once out probation for a few years like we do now with heavy restrictions and monitoring. After successful parole rights are restored. Repeat offenders get mandatory heavier sentences. No plea bargains. No deals. You fuck up but serve time and correct yourself then I have no problems with you. I also think all.comforts in prison should be taken away; prison should be a horrible experience. Our legal system really needs to be cleaned up and fixed. As for the rights of felons, the way I see it if we dont want you owning guns, that basically means you cant be trusted and you should not be out of prison yet. That and a paid debt should literally mean a completely paid debt.

This path of thinking is why we have the highest rate of incarceration in the world with no end in sight except large bills far into the future paying for men not to be in the work force.

The problem is not too lax sentencing. The problem is that too many things have been made against the law that are not inherently wrong and that has taken time and resources away from real problems that we used to lock people up for.
                              Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Working...
                              X