Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a run of the mill AR15 w/ M855 hit at 1000 yards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a run of the mill AR15 w/ M855 hit at 1000 yards?

For a while now there has been a lot of talk about how ineffective the 5.56 service round is. It’s all over the internet gun boards and the popular slick
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Good read and all but it makes me feel worse about my shooting abilities.
    Originally posted by Marisa
    we women are all irrational and emotional and insane...some just hide it better than others.

truth.

Comment

This is pretty appealing for me. I'm in the process of putting together a build with hopes of good accuracy to 400 or so with a 14.5" barrel. Instead of the MK 262 Sierra MK/Nolser CC I'm going to give the 77gr Berger OTM's a try.
      "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Thanks for the post CJ. I have always planned a SPR MK12 and a 20" Service Match build. Maybe it is time to find a couple barrels.
        Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

See, this must be a lie because I heard a neckbeard at the gun store today saying that .223 is only accurate up to 300 yards.
          Originally posted by lincolnboy
          After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

The video of Travis Haley hitting a steel plate at 750 yards with 300blk with a red dot was my proof
            2012 GT500

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
              See, this must be a lie because I heard a neckbeard at the gun store today saying that .223 is only accurate up to 300 yards.
              marines qualify out to 500 yards with m16s.. I remember the 300 and 500 yard lines were where i did my best shooting. *edit* with iron sights!
              ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

Originally posted by matts5.0 View Post
                marines qualify out to 500 yards with m16s.. I remember the 300 and 500 yard lines were where i did my best shooting. *edit* with iron sights!
                This. We shot out to 500 regularly with irons. Learn to gauge windage, distance estimation and learn how to shoot properly and it'll reach out and touch someone.

Comment

Yep, any firearm is only as accurate as the trigger operation device.
                  "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by matts5.0 View Post

So does US Army. I had irons as well. Bad news is my eyes are much older but my optics now are much better.

Comment

Hood has a 1000 yard range. The target was a gigantic 5' circle.
                      I couldn't even see it at 1000 yards to be honest, I think partly because the range is never used and brush was in the way when in the prone position.

The target end was old school like in the movie Sgt York. There was a pit just in front and below the target. When the target was hit you'd wave a big black circle in area of the hit.

When I was in the target pit, very very few hits were made.
                      DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Originally posted by 71pantera View Post
                        So does US Army.
                        They haven't in a long time. When I went to basic in 2002 we only shot out to 300 meters.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
                          They haven't in a long time. When I went to basic in 2002 we only shot out to 300 meters.
                          I went through basic in 95 and it was 300 (thought yards) as well. Still, it always felt good and frankly I don't shoot the M4 variants that well - pick up the A2 and it's like nothing to make nice shots at range.

I do not participate in the "AR/M16/M4" arguments because of this first hand experience. Even at 500 yards I could see this being a reasonable shot.

However, I also don't mistake the AR/etc as a sniper gun. I consider it a gun to put rounds down range - even if it takes 2-3 shots to hit a smaller target - who cares?

However, I would find 1000 yards a difficult shot with irons just based off vision problems alone. I believe 300 and below is optimal for most users and most situations - but yes the rifle can do so much more without fancy gear, free float barrels and so on.
                          Originally posted by MR EDD
                          U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                            I went through basic in 95 and it was 300 (thought yards) as well.
                            Nah, military uses meters.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
                              Nah, military uses meters.
                              Camp Pendleton is a 500 yard range. The range Marine's use in MCRD Paris Island is a 500 meter range. I always have remembered that difference since a meter is farther than a yard, the PI guys use that as a feather in their hat over us Hollywood Marines.

But in general you are right.
                              Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Working...
                              X