VZ58, AK-47, or AK-74

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VZ58, AK-47, or AK-74

Looking to purchase one of the above rifles. Found the VZ58 at AIM for $499. What would I expect to spend on an AK? Which ones to avoid or which ones to look for. I do not currently own any AK variants so any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

The VZ58 is not an AK. They share exactly zero parts in common.

That said, the VZ58 is a pound lighter than an AK, is milled instead of stamped, has a bolt hold open, can be reloaded with strippers, is easier to work on, and has more ergonomic controls.

IMO, for the money the VZ can't be beat.
    Originally posted by lincolnboy
    After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

the folding stock sucks.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Aim has an OK deal on the VZ right now. $499 buys you a rifle, 5 mags, sling, and bayonet.

Comment

I would own a VZ next if I had to pick from the three choices. If I thought I could paint it black and dress it up like an AR to fool my wife, I would have bought the one that Chris had for sale a month back.
          Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

I found mine to be pretty accurate, the front sight was canted though. I really hated the folding stock. Actually it was the worst stock I've ever felt, personally. After shooting it once I decided either the stock went or the gun did. With a fixed stock it has a much nicer cheek weld. However, the stocks (like most eastern bloc countries) are way too short for me. I really wish it had another inch or two of pull. The trigger is okay. The selector is nice, but I find my big hands ride up on it and it can be uncomfortable since it's so sharp. The pistol grip on the gun is really short, I usually have a finger hanging off. The mag release is very weird, you can only release the mag from the left side, the trigger guard prevents you from releasing the mag with your right hand. With my big ass fingers I have trouble getting it to release quickly, I usually end up grabbing it with the side of my finger. The gun is lighter and a lot slimmer than an AK, but that weight translates into a little more pop on recoil. Peculiar thing about the rifle is how the bolt opens wide, and it ejects straight vertical. But, other than that it's not a bad rifle. It's interesting and unique, but overall I didn't find anything that stood out about it. I primarily bought it because it was so weird.

Personally in 7.62x39, I enjoy shooting my AK's more, and particularly my underfolder. Any one of these guns is a good choice, they all work well. My favorite AK is my Beryl.
            Last edited by CJ; 03-14-2014, 10:59 PM.
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I agree with CJ about everything he listed except for the size. For me it works out to be perfect. I am not a huge fan of the mag release and the proprietary mags. Paying $20 or so per mag is less fun than the $7-$8 I pay for AK mags.

Comment

One of each!

I have an ak74, ak 47, RPK 47, and M92. Do not have the VZ. The lack of common parts turn me off the VZ. The wasr ak47 I traded for last year gets the most time at the range.

These seem to be getting good reviews and are only $100 more plus atlantic says they'll inspect for the infamous CAI canted fsb. That would open you up to all kinda of aftermarket and surplus parts to customize and repair with.

Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1Run View Post
                  One of each!

I have an ak74, ak 47, RPK 47, and M92. Do not have the VZ. The lack of common parts turn me off the VZ. The wasr ak47 I traded for last year gets the most time at the range.

These seem to be getting good reviews and are only $100 more plus atlantic says they'll inspect for the infamous CAI canted fsb. That would open you up to all kinda of aftermarket and surplus parts to customize and repair with.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/comp....html?Itemid=0
                  That's not bad. But what I REALLY need is this:
                  http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/mili...ck-detail.html
                  "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

looks like a late model multi fuel turbo diesel model. Those are the ones to get.

Comment

Haha thats going to be my next rig pig!
                      ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

thanks for all the replies guys! I do like the VZ for its weirdness factor, but just wondering if I would like an AK better. The folding stock is one of the drawbacks. Is there an aftermarket option? CJ has offered to let me fire all three of these at his range and hope to be able to take him up on it!

Comment

This thread makes me want a CZ 527 carbine.
                          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                            This thread makes me want a CZ 527 carbine.
                            You want a pretty and expensive bolt action SKS?

Comment

Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
                              You want a pretty and expensive bolt action SKS?
                              Nope!
                              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Working...
                              X