Good .22 LR pistol?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good .22 LR pistol?

After my last range trip with the 10/22, I'm getting my youngest nephew more interested in shooting and now thinking about a .22 LR pistol. My original thought was a Ruger 22/45 but I've read on here in the past that they are PITA to clean/maintenance. Would that still be the same assessment? What are some other good choices out there? Any thoughts on a .22 conversion for a 1911 or Glock?

I have an M&P and is a ton of fun to shoot. Only downside is that the mags are really hard to find extras of and it only comes with one.

Comment

buckmark.

god bless.
      It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

The new Ruger MkIII's and 22/45's are supposedly a lot easier to break down and clean. The previous MkII's were much harder. A Ruger Single Ten would be pretty damn cool, too.
        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I bought a Smith and Wesson 22A a few years ago to plink with and let my kids shoot. I couldn't be happier with it how it shoots and its accuracy. Was on sale for $199 @ Cabelas, but had Academy price match.

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
            The new Ruger MkIII's and 22/45's are supposedly a lot easier to break down and clean. The previous MkII's were much harder. A Ruger Single Ten would be pretty damn cool, too.
            I had a mkIII a few years back and just chose not to clean it, lol. I also liked my gsg1911 I got from Adam. Apparently they have issues, but this one ran like a top.
            Last edited by VaderTT; 03-20-2014, 01:21 PM.
            Ded

Comment

I have a 1911 in .22, a 22/45 lite, and a M&P 22. I seem to ALWAYS pick the 22/45 up first because they make a speed loader for it. After a few hundred rounds loading mags by hand is bullshit. The M&P 22 is reliable as hell though.

Comment

22/45 MkIII is a great little gun. The slab side 4" is also a bit lighter. Really not too much trouble to strip/clean.

Comment

Ruger Mark III/IV. Many aftermarket parts. Shoot it and never clean it. Great guns.

We have the Lite version of the 22/45 and two Mark III Hunters. Shot it yesterday in fact. Fun fun fun guns!

Nice thing is you can go steel shooting in the Rimfire class with these. You start from "low ready" and not in a holster. Stupid fast shooting without the recoil!!!!

We looked for several weeks and got lots of opinions from fellow competitive shooters and the gun store geeks. Ended up with these 3 and have not regretted it at all.

at the very least do not buy a Sig Mosquito. You MUST run premium ammo through it or it jams like mad.

Comment

Another vote for Ruger.
                    WRX

Comment

The Ruger SR-22 seems to be a decent gun from what I've read, is very light, and you can get one with a threaded barrel

I mention this one over the Mark III just because most younger guys want something that looks a little more tacticool than a Mark III. How old is he?

Comment

ruger vote

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                          The Ruger SR-22 seems to be a decent gun from what I've read, is very light, and you can get one with a threaded barrel

I mention this one over the Mark III just because most younger guys want something that looks a little more tacticool than a Mark III. How old is he?
                          That's cool, but I recall CJ posting about having trouble finding a .22 pistol that would run with a can on.
                          Ded

Comment

22/45 is the best .22lr pistol there is in my opinion. I think I've been through all of them.

Cleaning them can be a bitch, but once you learn how to drop the hammer back (you understand what exactly is happening) it's pretty straight forward. It has very low action weight (doesn't jam when it gets dirty), and for about $50 shipped you can get a fantastic 3lb trigger and remove the stupid mag safety.
                            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I know you all hate them but my P22 runs like a top suppressed or otherwise. Only issue I EVER had, S&W/Walther fixed. The detent for the safety would let the safety drop intermittently between shots.
                              Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Working...
                              X