If you could only buy one suppressor...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YALE View Post
    Will none of them provide the rejection in writing?
    No clue

Comment

Love my SWR Octane 9 HD2. I specifically bought mine for 9mm platforms as I have a SBR and a Glock 22 (17 conversion) in 9mm. But the bonus that I can shoot .22 and .300BLK Sub is neat. Plus the baffles come out for cleaning.

You can also change the pistons out.

I've popped a few rounds and it was impressively quiet. No louder than a nailgun

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
        Love my SWR Octane 9 HD2. I specifically bought mine for 9mm platforms as I have a SBR and a Glock 22 (17 conversion) in 9mm. But the bonus that I can shoot .22 and .300BLK Sub is neat. Plus the baffles come out for cleaning.

You can also change the pistons out.

I've popped a few rounds and it was impressively quiet. No louder than a nailgun
        Only issue I have with the Octane is the shape, are you still able to see the factory sites or would I need to go spend $600 on a RMR or $300 on a FastFire III?
        Originally posted by Sean88gt
        You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
        Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
        You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtracer View Post
          Only issue I have with the Octane is the shape, are you still able to see the factory sites or would I need to go spend $600 on a RMR or $300 on a FastFire III?
          I hate to ruin your day, but an osprey is no better. That asymmetrical design is still a gimmick. It doesn't clear non-suppressor sights. Doesn't fit in handguards, looks absurd on rifles, isn't serviceable, and isn't full auto rated. Every gun I've shot an osprey on I couldn't use the sights. Hell, it doesn't even clear the MK23 sights. You still need high rise sights for it, and those work on a standard symmetrical can.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
            I hate to ruin your day, but an osprey is no better. That asymmetrical design is still a gimmick. It doesn't clear any non-suppressor sights. Doesn't fit in handguards, looks absurd on rifles, isn't serviceable, and isn't full auto rated.
            why you son of a....

I saw a guy post a photo of his FN with the Osprey and he had about 2/3 of the sight line still visible which is what led me to belive the sales pitch. I am all ears on a decent 45 can and from what I am reading, the Octane is just that.

I can even change out the pistons so perhaps, 22lr could be even quieter on this 45 can than most other, though I do understand a dedicated 22 can is favorable.

I can afford both, just not the $400 in tax stamps though if I were to sell my Witness Match 10mm, I could. Just not sure I want to do that yet...

Once again, I can always pick up another pistol later, may not be able to get another can...decisions, decisions.
            You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
            You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

Well, you wouldn't want to shoot .22 in a can that isn't serviceable. It's not to say an osprey isn't a good can, it's just far more limited than most cans. If it was only going to be for pistols shooting jacketed rounds, it's fine. The osprey is 1oz lighter, 1/2" shorter, and it's better balanced than the octane, that's it's advantage. My experience with them is they cover up most every sight, but it's close enough that you can imagine where you're shooting. However, for a proper sight picture, either can requires new sights.
              Last edited by CJ; 04-09-2014, 09:17 AM.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Well, you wouldn't want to shoot .22 in a can that isn't serviceable. It's not to say an osprey isn't a good can, it's just far more limited than most cans. If it was only going to be for pistols shooting jacketed rounds, it's fine. The osprey is 1oz lighter, 1/2" shorter, and it's better balanced than the octane, that's it's advantage. My experience with them is they cover up most every sight, but it's close enough that you can imagine where you're shooting. However, for a proper sight picture, either can requires new sights.
                Not to open another can of worms but are there any pistols that come ready to mount or do they all require some degree of milling and drill/tap process?

Comment

Not to open another can of worms but are there any pistols that come ready to mount or do they all require some degree of milling and drill/tap process?
                  sure, the USP tactical is completely ready for a can. It has suppressor sights and it's threaded and ready to go. Same with that new sig tactical fnx or whatever it' called with the cut slide for an rmr.
                  Last edited by CJ; 04-09-2014, 09:27 AM.

Comment

sure, the USP tactical is completely ready for a can. It has suppressor sights and it's threaded and ready to go. Same with that new sig tactical fnx or whatever it' called with the cut slide for an rmr.
                    Love me some Sig, I'll have to check that one out

Comment

Nope, but I have a CTC laser grip and it's dead on.

Comment

Okay, I have been a bit indecisive as to what I am going to purchase, part of that is due to lack of a big budget. I have to keep reminding myself that eventually, I do plan on moving and at that point, I can hopefully purchase additional suppressors.

Quick facts:
                        My budget is $1220 including stamp(s)

I have pricing on the Harvester 30($565OTD), the Octane 45 ($660OTD) and the AAC Ti-Rant is ($670OTD) not including stamps. However, I really would like to get the most fun out of it as I do not hunt nor do I shoot competitively, all for fun.

With that said I have taken ya'lls advice and started looking into the Sparrow ($379OTD) and integral barrels, specifically for the 10/22.

Huntertown has a Fusion T22 that is pretty cool, they will also let you send the unit back to have it re-chambered in any caliber you want assuming it is a rim fire cartridge. Then there are YHM, Thompson Machine...etc

I am overwhelmed with ideas and a limited budget which is making this decision more difficult than necessary. I REALLY want a .30 can though only because I think they are pretty cool, I don’t hunt right now so this would be for paper punching which leads me back to the 10/22, I just love the "Hollywood" quiet they offer.

I need some help; I am going mad over here...

Comment

Huntertown has a Fusion T22 that is pretty cool, they will also let you send the unit back to have it re-chambered in any caliber you want assuming it is a rim fire cartridge.
                          Hmm.. I don't get it? Why not buy a sparrow which already suppresses every rimfire? (and even some center fire)

Comment

Hmm.. I don't get it? Why not buy a sparrow which already suppresses every rimfire? (and even some center fire)
                            Well, I haven’t ruled anything out yet; I am just trying to get a better bearing on where I need to focus.

I like the extra quiet you get from an integral, but I like the versatility of the Sparrow and being able to swap it to different weapons.

If you haven’t noticed, I am a bit indecisive at times

Comment

At this rate I'll never be able to save for my future. Just placed an order for a SilencerCo Sparrow SS from Silencer Shop. If that wasn't bad enough, I don't even have a suitable host for the dang thing. Take that back, I do have a Savage 17 HMR that would gladly carry the little can around on its back.

Comment

I was going to jump on the sparrow bandwagon myself however, I did some research on the spectre ii and for $290ish, I'm going to go with it. Doesn't have the sparrows patented half tube design, but it is identical in every other aspect as far as ratings, versatility. It also does not have the first round pop mono baffle designs have.
                                Don't have a host nor do I have any 22 ammo, but I'm eyeballing the Savage mark ii FV-SR and figure i can pick up some ammo somewhere along the way.

Bought my harvester yesterday from Phaux, can't wait to pick it up.
                                Last edited by Gtracer; 04-20-2014, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X