No announcement yet.

sleepers 2014 deer thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's at a hard angle and distance to judge age.
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Ive got other pics. he is either 3.5 4.5. Id have to see the lower jaw to make sure.

Hopefully i can find out.

Comment

My dad got this 8 Saturday night. Hit him with a 110gr Accubond at a little over 160yds.

Comment

Nice one.

Comment

Nice, my season has been shitty. I hit this one and got 24 inches of penitration on the arrow, but could never find the deer the next day. I shot it right at dusk and didnt want to push it. The arrow entered back going forward towards opposite shoulder.

I technically should have hit liver/lung going by the blood. We tracked it for about a half mile before blood stops and opens up into a huge area with 5 feet tall thick grass. Grid searched for a few days with no luck.

Since then ive always been in the wrong spot at the wrong time. I am only hunting two stands this year. Still cant get it right haha.

The one i lost

Comment

That sucks I have yet to loose one and that's my biggest fear bow hunting. I passed up a buck is all I've done. I have a 10 with tiny G1's with 16" spread and a 2 year old body. If he makes it another year or two he will be a monster.

Comment

Its the first buck ive lost. With the blood trail i had it was easy to follow but once he hit that grass it was impossable to know where he went. I lost a doe last year in the same grass. You can walk all year and have a small hope of running into them if the coyotes havnt carried it off.

I passed 140inch 6x5 yesterday morning. He is 3.5 year old deer. If he does what im thinking he will do he should go 170-180 if he blows up. He already has amazing mass just needs length.

Comment

Damn sorry to hear that man! Hopefully you'll at least find the rack one day. I'm still skunked for a bow kill this year, lot of little things jacked me up this weekend, some my fault some not. Goes with the territory of hunting public.

Comment

I bought a small piece of land in Ranger Texas (10 acres) last month. I have yet to see any deer in person mainly due to me setting up box blind and cutting trails and shooting lanes. I have a ton on my cameras may need some help aging them if possible. I am not experienced enough to tell. Come Wednesday and Thursday I'm finnaly going out there just to hunt.

Comment

Last edited by krazy kris; 11-10-2014, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Young imho, but i know midwest deer.

Shoot what makes you happy, thats what counts.

Comment

Yeah I figured 2 maybe, tiny babies compared to what you are used to seeing lol.

Comment

I look at the gut and front leg placement on the body.

Young deer have that race horse look. Its also nice when they are in groups as there is a significant body size difference here.

Good luck man. I sat this morning at a chilly 8 degrees with the wind it was negative 4. I need to kill something soon or im buying stock in hand and feet warmers.

Comment

To add to what sleeper said. Tarsal gland color is a easy way to distinguish young and old early in the year. A 4+ deer will be dark or black while a young deer won't until rut.

Comment

Thank y'all

Comment

Working...
                                X