Python

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CJ View Post
    That's like comparing a Porsche 911 to a Toyota Camry because both have a 6 cylinder and complaining about the back seat room. That's not what the gun was built for, that's not it's intended purpose. The Python was built to showcase decades of gunsmithing refinement and experience with their old Colt action. The best gun they could make when price wasn't an option. The security six will go bang 6 rounds in a row for the cool price of $500 - just like any gun in it's price range. It's not going to have a 4lb single and 7lb double pull, and it isn't going to group 2 inches at 100 yards. If it had the capability and quality of a python then you'd have a point about reliability and a million rounds down the tube. There are guns like the MR73 and Korth which have that kind of reliability and the quality but they are extremely expensive, more so than a python. That's the trade off.
    I have a security six that you need to test fire. The single action is ultra smooth and light; while the double action is a touch over 8lbs. Accuracy you ask? Of the dozens that I have owned this one is like no other in terms of accuracy. I have had to put a lot of work into it to get it that way though.

I did not know that the Manurhin was an expensive gun. I got one with a lot of finish wear earlier this year for $500. It is currently at Simmons getting reblued.
    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I have owned many Security sixes, single sixes, GP-100's, SP-101's. While they are a good gun for the money, it is a Fred Flintstone weapon compared to a Colt Python.

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
        I have a security six that you need to test fire. The single action is ultra smooth and light; while the double action is a touch over 8lbs. Accuracy you ask? Of the dozens that I have owned this one is like no other in terms of accuracy. I have had to put a lot of work into it to get it that way though.

I did not know that the Manurhin was an expensive gun. I got one with a lot of finish wear earlier this year for $500. It is currently at Simmons getting reblued.
        I'd love to fire your ruger six for sure. Those manurhins are the century surplus clapped out service pistols with the cheap sights, etc. The commercial manurhins are almost a completely different gun, different components, sights, finish, barrel options, etc. They usually sell for 3k-5k depending if you can actually find one. Many enthusiasts regard them on the level of Korth's, believe it or not.

$500 surplus service MR73

$3000+ commercial MR73

I've been looking for one for quite a long while. Granted, I can't look every single day, but with weekly or biweekly searches, I've only found 2 commercial MR73 for sale in the US, both were the .38 target guns. They are very rare, and from what I've been told they were import only guns, custom orders. I don't believe Manurhin or any vendor stocked or marketed them. You had to know about them.
        Last edited by CJ; 08-01-2014, 11:38 PM.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

One of you board advertisers needs to become an importer. Barring that, we use one down here to get stuff from Europe, so if anyone finds anything on a gun board over there they want, give a holler. Fair warning though, the exchange rate is going to eat up anything close to a good deal you find.
          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I'd love to search a french gun website, if they even exist.

edit: http://www.calligari.net/manurhin-mr73-sport-t614.html

€600, or about $800 US. Not fucking bad. Now to import it, literally impossible with a private seller.
            Last edited by CJ; 08-01-2014, 11:51 PM.
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I'll take it.

Comment

Oh shit! There is a 10mm I can get on board with!

Comment

I'd love to search a french gun website, if they even exist.

edit: http://www.calligari.net/manurhin-mr73-sport-t614.html

€600, or about $800 US. Not fucking bad. Now to import it, literally impossible with a private seller.
                  I'll ask, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                    I just called George's. It is $1100.
                    Any details if it functions? If you grabbed it you can buy me a beer sometime assuming it turned out to be a good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
                      Any details if it functions? If you grabbed it you can buy me a beer sometime assuming it turned out to be a good deal.
                      No idea. It's gone.

Comment

I'd love to fire your ruger six for sure. Those manurhins are the century surplus clapped out service pistols with the cheap sights, etc. The commercial manurhins are almost a completely different gun, different components, sights, finish, barrel options, etc. They usually sell for 3k-5k depending if you can actually find one. Many enthusiasts regard them on the level of Korth's, believe it or not.

I've been looking for one for quite a long while. Granted, I can't look every single day, but with weekly or biweekly searches, I've only found 2 commercial MR73 for sale in the US, both were the .38 target guns. They are very rare, and from what I've been told they were import only guns, custom orders. I don't believe Manurhin or any vendor stocked or marketed them. You had to know about them.
                        My Manurhin is a commercial model. It had water splashed onto it and the blueing looks like paint that was smeared by a solvent soaked rag but there was no pitting. I got it from a guy in a bar on 6th St while watching the Super bowl this year. He told me about it and walked out to his car and got it for me; he was convinced that it was a total loss. It came with several sets of grips, spare parts, and sights. Simmons does really high grade blueing and agreed to comp the job because I sent in 4 model 12s for them to restore. It will be early next year before I get it back.
                        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

My Manurhin is a commercial model. It had water splashed onto it and the blueing looks like paint that was smeared by a solvent soaked rag but there was no pitting. I got it from a guy in a bar on 6th St while watching the Super bowl this year. He told me about it and walked out to his car and got it for me; he was convinced that it was a total loss. It came with several sets of grips, spare parts, and sights. Simmons does really high grade blueing and agreed to comp the job because I sent in 4 model 12s for them to restore. It will be early next year before I get it back.
                          Yeah, post up pics when its done.

Comment

Want to sell any of the grips? The mr73 I have now has the Troush (sp?) grips, kinda want to change them.

Comment

WTMF. I have never really paid much attention to these guns until this thread. My buddy has one of these in the 357 variety that he has threatened to give me and is going to leave to me if I out live him. I have screwed around with it and shot it before but never realized they were so damn expensive. Why are they so high? He cleans it ever so often and talks about it like it was his baby but I never understood the obsession. I think he may have actually carried it on duty many many moons ago. I will get a pic next time we are over there.
                              Whos your Daddy?

Comment

It's a hand fitted production gun nothing like it has ever been produced or likely will be at it's price point.
                                "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Working...
                                X