Pinned and welded muzzle device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinned and welded muzzle device

I have a Colt Competition 14.5 RR AR that has a pinned and welded muzzle brake. I am wanting to replace the free floated hand guard and obviously have to get the brake off first. I am wanting to re use the brake if possible, but after 2 evenings with a drill press and 6 bits later I am ready to have this thing cut off! Anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the brake, or know someone local that could do it for me?

Thanks
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    - George Washington

A die grinder where the weld is should work.
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

I'm not the most knowledgeable on AR's, but why would you have to remove the Brake/Flash Hider to install a free float hand guard? Is the brake huge or something?
      "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

gas block items have to slide off the muzzle end of the barrel. Most of those are .750" or even less. Most muzzle devices are larger.
        Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
          I'm not the most knowledgeable on AR's, but why would you have to remove the Brake/Flash Hider to install a free float hand guard? Is the brake huge or something?
          In order to remove the barrel nut and gas block you have to remove the muzzle brake.
          "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
          - George Washington

Comment

Ah, got it... Dremel with cutoff wheel might work as long as it's not a super thick weld.
            "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
              Ah, got it... Dremel with cutoff wheel might work as long as it's not a super thick weld.
              The problem is the weld is about 3/32" in diameter and is down into the brake, i used my dremel to grind it down flush, but the weld continues into the brake. I tried drilling it out, but I've gone through 6 bits (going slow and using cutting oil)and have made it down maybe 1/8", it's a thick weld and tough as hell!
              - George Washington

Comment

Originally posted by FireMedic331 View Post
                The problem is the weld is about 3/32" in diameter and is down into the brake, i used my dremel to grind it down flush, but the weld continues into the brake. I tried drilling it out, but I've gone through 6 bits (going slow and using cutting oil)and have made it down maybe 1/8", it's a thick weld and tough as hell!
                You are just going to have to resign to the fact you are going to destroy that break. Get after it.

I have heard of people drilling and tapping their break. Then running a set screw (4-20 should be small enough) and then using silver solder to close it up for a weld.
                Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

You can also cut off your gas block, and use a clamp on style gas block after, but the easiest thing to do is just get a new muzzle device.
                  ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Working...
                  X