The Truth About Barrel Length, Muzzle Velocity and Accuracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dee View Post
    Yeah. I just finished up the chapter and it was a good bit interesting. The 2 bullets tested were .308 diameter in the 308 winchester were the 175gr Matchking and the 175gr Berger OTM. The Bergers showed less deviation in group size due to better balance and jacket consistency. The Sierra had more deviation but is also more of a mass produced bullet. Also having a SG above 1.5 allows for best accuracy at long range close to the transonic range. I do know Berger has a calculator available know that factors in twist rate and gives you a more accurate sg calculation.
    I'm planning on running a 175gr SMK for 1000 yard, and I'll switch to a Berger for competition.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

The 175 are a pretty good stand by these days. The 185 Jaugernaut Hybrid by Berger is one of the best out of the 308 case though and the 190gr Sierra MK is z good substitute.
      "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
        The 175 are a pretty good stand by these days. The 185 Jaugernaut Hybrid by Berger is one of the best out of the 308 case though and the 190gr Sierra MK is z good substitute.
        I'm trying to avoid the proprietary weights because I want a cheap practice round as well as my competition projectile to both shoot somewhat similar trajectories. I'll spend afew months working up a load I like and then get some turrets made. Right now I'm waiting on my barrel still. Some of the guys like the 155 scenars, but man I don't need that kind of wallet rape. I feel like I wouldn't enjoy it as much.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
          I'm trying to avoid the proprietary weights because I want a cheap practice round as well as my competition projectile to both shoot somewhat similar trajectories. I'll spend afew months working up a load I like and then get some turrets made. Right now I'm waiting on my barrel still. Some of the guys like the 155 scenars, but man I don't need that kind of wallet rape. I feel like I wouldn't enjoy it as much.
          I used the 155gr Sierra Palma with great results and its a bit cheaper than the Lapua. The Sierra, Berger and Lapua are very similar in BC compared to the other 155 offerings. I can look at the Litz bc for you to compare them if you want. I've found his numbers to be far more accurate than manufacturer published bc data.
          "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Working...
          X