remington 700 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• remington 700 question

My boss has a Remington 700 sendero model in 300wm. He is saying that the rifle is .5moa at 200 yards after the first shot of the day and is shooting out to 600 yards so far accurately. His complaint is that at 200 yards his cold bore shot is off like 4" and after that it is a tack driver. He is not comfortable shooting out to longer distances on a cold bore and said for hunting this is hurting him. Any advise from the crowd here or a reputable guy in the area that is great? He is shooting his own reloads that he has dialed in for the gun and as far as I know there are no modifications to the rifle.

Shot 2 is 2moa away from the first? Warranty issue.
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Everyone after that is within .5 or better of each other @ 200yds. He said it has been like this since he bought it.

Comment

Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
        Everyone after that is within .5 or better of each other @ 200yds. He said it has been like this since he bought it.
        Senderos have heavier profile barrels, and they're marketed as a premium rifle. I'd send it back, if it bothered me.
        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Sight in for cold bore and go hunting. It's not uncommon for factory barrels to have that issue.
          "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Is he cleaning the shit out of the barrel, down to bare metal or close to it, prior to each of these cold bore shots? Meaning, is every cold bore shot done on the next range trip after he had taken it home and cleaned from the previous trip?

It is not uncommon for a clean barrel cold bore shot to be off a couple inches at 100 yds. Double the distance to target and you double the distance from center to clean barrel cold bore shot placement.

This is what many competition shooters refer to as a "fouler" shot. Have to foul the barrel (deposit copper in the rifling grooves) so that it now makes contact with every bullet virtually the same way for every shot thereafter...

Now, if it is just cold bore and not bare metal cold bore, then there is an issue and it needs to be sent back.
            "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
              Sight in for cold bore and go hunting. It's not uncommon for factory barrels to have that issue.
              I've seen it before as well. Useless gun to me, but some guys can live with it. I've had a few barrels that did very odd things at different temperatures. I have no tolerance for it, if I can't iron it out after a few weeks of playing, I toss it.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
                Is he cleaning the shit out of the barrel, down to bare metal or close to it, prior to each of these cold bore shots? Meaning, is every cold bore shot done on the next range trip after he had taken it home and cleaned from the previous trip?

It is not uncommon for a clean barrel cold bore shot to be off a couple inches at 100 yds. Double the distance to target and you double the distance from center to clean barrel cold bore shot placement.

This is what many competition shooters refer to as a "fouler" shot. Have to foul the barrel (deposit copper in the rifling grooves) so that it now makes contact with every bullet virtually the same way for every shot thereafter...

Now, if it is just cold bore and not bare metal cold bore, then there is an issue and it needs to be sent back.
                I just asked about the cleaning and he is not doing that. He said if the rifle cools down completely it is like a reset.

Comment

There's a reason snipers keep a log for their cold bore shots. Some guns are just picky that way. When I get ready to hunt for the season I'll go and fire a fouler like BlackGT mentioned and not clean the gun till after the season is over just to clean all of the Kruoil out of the barrel.

I've read somewhere about a sniper (I don't remember what branch of service) that wouldn't clean his barrel until it had a couple hundred rounds down it. That particular barrel liked to have lots of copper fouling. I'm assuming if you put a bore scope down it while it was clean you'd see some pretty nasty rifling that needed to be filled with copper to make it shoot better. It was a sub MOA gun with a dirty barrel. Once he cleaned the barrel it wouldn't settle back down until he had 20 or so rounds back through it.

Comment

My Krieger takes 6 shots to settle in. I've only cleaned it twice in 800rds. Once after fire forming brass and the other at the 700rd mark just because I felt like it although it was still shooting sub 1/2 MOA.
                    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
                      I just asked about the cleaning and he is not doing that. He said if the rifle cools down completely it is like a reset.
                      Sight in for cold bore so he can hunt this year. Then send it back to CerbRemMarlington and tell them to make it right.

Then sell it and buy a Sako...
                      "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Working...
                      X