Suggestions on a gun safe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions on a gun safe

So I'm looking to buy a gun safe in the next month or so and I'm looking for any good deals. I missed out on one at Academy a couple of days ago for $350 but it wasn't in store and would have cost $100 to ship to me (not to mention taxes). I'm not looking for a big capacity as I've only got 6 long guns right now. What I'm looking is for one in the $500-600 range with some sort of fire proof rating. Type of lock doesn't matter to me much. What other features should I be looking for?

This is what I've found so far but not sure if it's a great deal or not.

I've looked at a lot of safes over the past year. I have two now. I wish I'd have gotten one really big one to start but none of my closets are really well laid out for a 40 gun safe.

I'm convinced safes are like oil filters. Most are made by a few manufacturers and there is a lot of repainting and rebadging. So the name on the safe and manufacturer aren't one in the same in most cases. Everyone has a safe with their name painted on it, but that has little to do with where it is made.

Now the particular safe you have picked out at Academy with the features it has for the price is a great deal IMO. I'd pull the trigger on it for sure.

I have a similar 24 gun safe and it easily holds my 7 long arms and 14 pistols. I also have a lot of important documents stored inside and some other valuables. It has room enough to hold the wife's jewelry etc too when we go on vacation, etc.

I prefer combo locks over electronic locks even though they come with back up keys. That's just me. I look for steel gauge and fire rating first and foremost along with size.

Jose, go for it. At that price point and size you aren't going to find a much better safe IMO.

Comment

Although I know everybody says to always get a bigger safe than what you need and I have the space for a bigger safe, money is going to be a limiting factor for me right now. Both in purchasing more firearms and in purchasing a bigger safe. So I'm trying to maximize my dollars by buying the best safe I can afford. Although this has an electronic lock and I'd prefer a manual one, it pretty much has all the other features I want. Barring anyone else pointing out a better deal, I might try to pick this one up this week. Thanks Anthony for your opinion!

Comment

I have what apears to be that same safe mine looks just like it but it has a picture of a cannon on bottom. This is my firtst safe and it does not hold as many guns as it says IMO. I never thought about interior layout but it does not allow room for scoped rifles with out staggering or turning sideways. You also have the lean them back some what and that eats up room in the safe. Overall I am happy with it. I did add an extra shelf in the top that allows for documents and such. I would also suggest that before you bolt it down that you figure lighting out and drill and run wires. Battery lights are not great and you have to hold the light while moving stuff around.
        sigpic

Comment

Jose, I got a Liberty Centurion 12 for about around 700 from a local dealer. I like it alot.

If I get another, I'll always keep this one as a closet safe and put the larger one in another area.

I know its not Fort Knox, if someone really wants to get it they will find a way. Its very secure for what I need it for.

Comment

I'll second the combo lock. It's a pain, but you don't have to worry when the battery dies or the electronics fail.

I think if I had to do over, I'd get a safe with an external hinge, but I'm more than happy with the Liberty safe I bought.

Could I recommend you get one with bolts also on the top and bottom of the door? A little more work involved for the BG trying to pry open the door.
            Last edited by GhostTX; 02-02-2015, 11:37 AM.
            "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Well crap the Cannon safe is not available in store and will cost an additional $99 to ship to my house. Not sure if it's worth it or not as I'm still having to pay taxes along with that.

Any suggestions on where else to look locally or would it be worth shopping online?

Comment

I bought my safe from Costco last year and curbside delivery was included in the price.

Comment

Jose, a friend of mine worked for this place for a couple of months, and they usually have new safes on display at the gun shows. From what he told me, they get trade in safes from time to time, and you might be able to pick up one and save a few bucks. I wanted to get one that wasnt a gun safe, but with some woodwork on the inside, it would have been really easily. He quit before they were ready to move it, so I didnt really worry about it.

A-1 Locksmith Arlington employs a friendly team of licensed and insured Arlington locksmiths for your automotive, commercial and residential locksmith needs.
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

$350 safe? Buy a locking door handle and put it on a closet door.
                    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

In my opinion you're not going to beat the bang for the buck for Costco safes. Every once in awhile they have them in store at an even lower price.

They are not high end or anything, but plenty functional for the average person trying to stash away guns.
                      Originally posted by MR EDD
                      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I noticed that these people posted this safe marked down to $599 here recently...
                        Give them a call and see what they have, they also deliver as well.

Comment

I love when the, "if it doesn't cost 6 digits, the safe isn't worth" it people come around. Are the cheaper safes going to protect your stuff like a $2-3k unit, probably not. However, unless you expect to have an italian job style break in occur, you will probably be ok. May suffer a busted lock, but your average smash and grab theif ian't going get your goodies.

Don't poat your firearms all over the interwebs and brag about your hoard of AR15's and barrett .50's and you won't be a prime target.

I picked up a winchester 24 gun at Tractor Supply for $550 on Black Friday. Seems to be a solid safe so far. Is it constructed with 64 inch steel walls, no. Could it be breached easy with proper equipment, sure, can't they all? Are my guns much safer than in a "locked closet with a hollow door"? Of course
                          Originally posted by Leah
                          Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                            I love when the, "if it doesn't cost 6 digits, the safe isn't worth" it people come around. Are the cheaper safes going to protect your stuff like a $2-3k unit, probably not. However, unless you expect to have an italian job style break in occur, you will probably be ok. May suffer a busted lock, but your average smash and grab theif ian't going get your goodies.

Don't poat your firearms all over the interwebs and brag about your hoard of AR15's and barrett .50's and you won't be a prime target.

I picked up a winchester 24 gun at Tractor Supply for $550 on Black Friday. Seems to be a solid safe so far. Is it constructed with 64 inch steel walls, no. Could it be breached easy with proper equipment, sure, can't they all? Are my guns much safer than in a "locked closet with a hollow door"? Of course
                            I agree. Unless a person comes knowingly prepared they won't be getting in. With the right tools 10-20min is all it takes to even get into the more expensive safes.
                            "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Gun safe

Get one with a UL approved lock and a UL approved Burglary rating and at least 30-45 min fire. Fire rating doesn't have to be UL, UL fire ratings raise the price a lot.
                              Lock being electronic or mechanical is your preference, UL electronic locks you can change your own combo and they have a non volatile memory. Mechanical locks you can't change your own combo (need a locksmith or safe tech) and will prob out last everyone on here if treated properly. Electronics rarely die without trying to tell you first.
                              Most safe companies warrant e locks for 2 years.
                              American Security, Liberty and Fort Knox have the best customer service in the industry, bar none.

Comment

Working...
                              X