Buying/Selling Guns Online Etiquette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying/Selling Guns Online Etiquette

So having bought and sold a few guns online locally, I've always been good with describing what I'm selling, asking a fair price, dealing with haggling, keeping in contact with the person until we meet up, and also being flexible on a meeting location. Usually when I'm selling I'll go a little out of my way to meet the person within reason. When buying from someone, I expect the same. Usually this has worked out really good for me.

The reason I'm bringing this up is the one recent deal I'm working on. I was looking at buying a rifle from a guy locally. I texted him at the number he had listed to see if it was still available (he's been trying to sell it since November of last year) and he was quick to respond back that it was still available. He had gone done from $1000 to $900 in that time and I figured I'd see if he'd go down another $50. When I texted him this he didn't respond back for a couple of hours and he said he didn't want to go below $900 but that he would think about it. So I let him think about it but never heard back from him. The following day I texted him back and said I would do it for what he was asking if he was willing to meet somewhere local to me (he lives near Denton) and he was slow to respond back again. This goes on for the next few hours where he responds back and I reply and have to wait for him to hear back from him.

He finally tells me he's having some family issues he's dealing with and also vehicle problems but can meet me near my office which is closer for him than my house. So I tell him I only go in once or twice a week and won't be in till the following week at this point. So we agreed to meet the following week (which happens to be tomorrow). I happen to go into the office the following day after talking to him and ask if we can meet than. I don't hear back from him till the next day and he tells me he wouldn't have been able to meet me than anyway. So I say OK, I'll text him the day before we meet to make sure everything is good. Fast forward to today, I text him this afternoon and 10 hours later I haven't heard back from him.

Maybe I'm wrong but when someone has been trying to sell something for a few months and you have someone willing to buy it for what you are asking for, you jump on it. Or maybe that's why it hasn't sold after a couple of months. Guess I'm just venting right now but it was something I was really interested in buying.

Kinda seems sketchy on communication. That alone is not a good sign. I've met people a good bit and have always done my best to communicate.
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

If it doesnt pass the "smell test" dont do it.

When im trying to sell something, i go out of my way to accommodate the buyer.

I would expect the same when im the buyer.

Comment

When communication starts breaking down like that, I chalk it up in the loss column and keep looking. Not worth my time to deal with people like that. Like you said, if he really wanted to sell it and had someone offer asking price, then he would jump all over it and accomodate the buyer. Since he didn't, he must not really want to sell it. Time to keep looking and just cut off all communication.
        "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

sounds like he might be dealing with some family issues and/or some vehicle issues
          http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Let that dude find another buyer.
            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Eh, I've had almost the exact same thing happen to me, it was just a terrible seller in the end.

I saw a Ruger Mini 14 online and contacted the guy asking if he was interested in trading a Glock 22 for it as it was the fugly black tacticool one. But hey, it was still a ruger mini 14.

The communication was terrible and he and I went back and forth, even tried meeting at two different gas stations (and getting stood up with BS excuses) before I gave up on the deal.

Then randomly a few days later he apologized for standing me up twice and would meet me at a QT really close to my house. Lo and behold he showed up and traded me straight up with a few extra mags included.

Ended up hating the Mini 14 and sold it for way more than I had in the Glock.

Whenever I deal with a bad buyer, I always remind myself "well it couldn't be any worse than that one time..."

Comment

I'd pass. I don't chase down people to give them money.

Comment

Maybe that is why he hasn't sold it...
                  2012 GT500

Comment

Well I gave this guy another chance this morning. I texted him at 8am and he replied back 30 minutes later. He asked what my schedule was like and I hit him back right away with the 1 hour window I'd like to meet as I have some meetings this afternoon. Never heard back from him. 3 hours later I head into the office and text him back saying I appreciated his time and that I was no longer interested. He text me back fairly quickly apologizing that he's been really busy and he's sorry he couldn't respond back in a timely manner.

What gets me is that I offered to go pick it up from him if he would knock off $50 for my time and trouble and that's when he said he'd have to think about it. Oh well, guess I'm going to buy a gun safe sooner than later.

Comment

Some peoples kids shouldn't have internetz. I hate dealing with dumb fucks, if you place a public AD, you should respond to anyone that is interested and at a minimum take down your AD once you have sold it. And also don't place the AD if you don't have time to follow through on the sale.
                      Originally posted by Silverback
                      Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

I don't reply to people who clearly haven't read my ad. I also tend not to reply to low ballers if I have other people on the hook.

With that said, dude sounds like a flake
                        http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Sounds like an average CL seller.

Comment

It wasn't for a gun but I drove a little over an hour to meet a guy. Whenever I got there I text and called him. He never answered. I stayed there for about 45 minutes. Never heard back from him..

Comment

Originally posted by FastFord19 View Post
                              It wasn't for a gun but I drove a little over an hour to meet a guy. Whenever I got there I text and called him. He never answered. I stayed there for about 45 minutes. Never heard back from him..
                              This thread is not for your weekend sexual escapades....
                              "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Working...
                              X