Rust on my new Delta Elite?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust on my new Delta Elite?

Is this rust? Why is this happening? When I sold my kimber it had the same stains (much worse) and it was rarely used. Now the colt is starting to do the same thing.. I use hops 9 oils. Its obviously something I'm doing..

'merica motherfucker

I changed Grips, main spring housing, magwell, all springs, added bullet proof slide stop, and beaver tail because the stock grip safety made my hand webbing bleed after 20 rounds. I'm thinking about Novak target sights, but I just don't want to wait months for them to mill it. The GI sites are good.
    sigpic
    Tags:

Were you using the same magwell on the kimber?

Comment

it's the same drop in type, but not the actual one. Wilson combat. When I had this problem on the Kimber, the "rust" was pretty much everywhere that was covered by the grips. I thought it was a bad set of VZ grips that didn't react well to cleaners.
      sigpic

Comment

Are you sweating all over it and not cleaning it correctly?

Comment

What material are those grips?

I would side with racrguy on this that sweat, oils and such will stay trapped under the grip and cause corrosion. Gotta remove grips and oil the metal from time to time.
          Last edited by Ruffdaddy; 02-09-2015, 07:52 PM.

Comment

And is there any metal around thay region contacting the frame?

Comment

Sweat contains lots of salts... Salts cause massive corrosion. Use lube liberally. That's why I use CLP. It gets into everything and under the grips etc.

My recently acquired blue DE is getting a few parts changed out soon as well. As soon as the new grips arrive I will do it all at once. I'll post up a few photos before and after too.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                Are you sweating all over it and not cleaning it correctly?
                I don't think so? It's only been at the range once and it was indoor. It will most likely be a safe queen.

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                What material are those grips?

I would side with racrguy on this that sweat, oils and such will stay trapped under the grip and cause corrosion. Gotta remove grips and oil the metal from time to time.
                The original grips are rubber. These are wood, but I do have a thin layer of rubber that wraps underneath for the front finger grooves.

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                And is there any metal around thay region contacting the frame?
                Nope.

How exactly do I clean under the grips? I assumed that there should be zero oil/moisture. I did find some gunk around the grip screw attachments that looked like dried up hoppe's goo.
                sigpic

Comment

You won't stop all moisture...and wood will definitely soak it up. If it's a safe queen...just store it with the grips off and lightly oil or wax the bare metal.

Comment

If you have bare metal (especially steel) it MUST have some sort of oil on it, otherwise it's going to rust. Are you cleaning it with harsh solvents, or just using a bit of oil and using it to clean all of the carbon out of the gun? The only time I would think about using a solvent to clean a gun would be if a good oil and a soft brush/lint free towel wouldn't get it off, and that's after I worked at it for a while. Take my thoughts with a grain of salt, I'm new to the gun game, but I'm not new to keeping machinery clean.

Comment

How are you storing it? Putting a fresh cleaned firearm in a plastic bag or tight plastic box will cause these kind of stains. Most solvents these days are "green" and have more moisture in them than they used to. They need a few days to "gas' all the moisture out. I like to store mine open in a safe with humidity control.

Comment

Kroil, problem solved.

Comment

Dude, that gun is f'ed up and defective - I'll give ya 150 cash.
                          Originally posted by MR EDD
                          U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Working...
                          X