PA CHL for a new TX Resident...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PA CHL for a new TX Resident...

My Dad moved from PA to TX to retire. He is currently remodeling a place and is unable to take a TX CHL class, but has every intention to do so. I know he is good for open carry on his property and so forth. However, for concealed carry now that he is technically a TX resident - does his PA CHL apply at all? Mostly he keeps a 380 in his truck, but otherwise would that cover him for walking around (concealed) in Lowes/HD...etc? I know there is reciprocity (sp?), but I'm concerned that his address is TX now and not PA that TX law would consider it invalid. Having a hard time finding details on this particular one and was looking for opinions/facts/links to outline it.

For the time being I advised him to assume it is invalid outside of his property/vehicle.
    Originally posted by MR EDD
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

does he have a residence in PA? Has he lived in TX for a year?

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
      does he have a residence in PA? Has he lived in TX for a year?
      No residence in PA and has been here for about 3 weeks.

Comment

I'm thinking that if the PA licensee if valid it would probably suffice. Carrying in a vehicle is covered under the castle doctrine.

He cant apply for a Texas chl until he has been a Texas resident for 6 months (I was mistaken on the year)

Comment

Personally, I would just tell him to stick to keeping it in the car and carrying it on his property until he can get a Texas CHL. Seems like the risks outweigh the rewards in this scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
            I'm thinking that if the PA licensee if valid it would probably suffice. Carrying in a vehicle is covered under the castle doctrine.

He cant apply for a Texas chl until he has been a Texas resident for 6 months (I was mistaken on the year)
            6 months won't be a problem. He probably won't have his place finished before then and the regular state laws should cover him for that.

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
            Personally, I would just tell him to stick to keeping it in the car and carrying it on his property until he can get a Texas CHL. Seems like the risks outweigh the rewards in this scenario.
            At this point I concur. If anyone had a reference to a law that outlined every detail - I would tell him differently (Already told him not to conceal carry in stores...etc). For now as mentioned he'll be fine at house/property and in truck. Yeah, any common sense cop would likely bust his balls a little but not haul him in or anything. Just can't be sure of that and it's ultimately my Dad's responsibility to get the paperwork/training/CHL class squared away.

Comment

Working...
            X