Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Senate Passes Tax-Free Holiday to Spur Gun Sales

This is good news:

The state Senate on Thursday gave the green light to a proposal to designate one weekend a year when Texas shoppers would not have to pay sales tax on guns.

The state Senate on Thursday gave the green light to a proposal to designate one weekend a year when Texas shoppers would not have to pay sales tax on guns.

Senate Bill 228 by Sen. Brandon Creighton, R-Conroe, would create a sales tax holiday for firearms, ammunition and hunting supplies during the last weekend in August. Texas already has tax holidays for two other kinds of products: school supplies and energy-efficient appliances.

The proposed tax break — which Creighton calls a Second Amendment tax holiday weekend — would come one week ahead of hunting season and one week before a similar weekend in Louisiana. Texas would lose $3.6 million per year in tax revenue under the proposed legislation, according to an estimate from the Legislative Budget Board.

"Since 2009, retailers in east and southeast Texas have been at a competitive disadvantage when it comes to their Louisiana counterparts," Creighton said in a statement. "Providing this sales tax break prior to the start of hunting season will be an economic driver for small businesses and will provide our hunters much deserved savings."

Mississippi and South Carolina also have similar tax holidays for guns, according to the lobbying arm of the National Rifle Association, which supports the Texas proposal.

“This bill supports lawful gun ownership and encourages Texas sportsmen and their families to spend their money here at home," Tara Mica, state liaison for the NRA Institute for Legislative Action, said in a statement.

The measure, which was approved by the Senate on a vote of 21-10, now heads to the House.

Texas would lose $3.6 million? There's that much tax revenue in guns in one weekend. Say a gun is $500, at 8.25%, that's $41.25 in tax. Divide it out that's 87,272 transactions.
    "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Awesome!

Ok, who wants what?
      Originally posted by lincolnboy
      After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
        Texas would lose $3.6 million? There's that much tax revenue in guns in one weekend. Say a gun is $500, at 8.25%, that's $41.25 in tax. Divide it out that's 87,272 transactions.
        Also consider the fact that every gun owner will want to stock up on ammo for the year, on that one day, easily spending a few hundred per person, more for families with kids that enjoy shooting.

Also, who buys just one gun?

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
          Just divide $3,600,000 by 8.25% for total anticipated sales.. Almost $44 Million in sales seems a bit steep for a weekend, but as has been mentioned, many people may choose that weekend to stock up and save some cash..

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
            Awesome!

Ok, who wants what?
            I have a pretty big list.
            Originally posted by Marisa
            we women are all irrational and emotional and insane...some just hide it better than others.

truth.

Comment

Awesome!

Ok, who wants what?
              I'll get you a glock. Just to troll you
              WH

Comment

I have one... but if you order one and buy it from me, then give it to me that would be cool.
                Originally posted by lincolnboy
                After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Awesome!

Ok, who wants what?
                  I wouldnt mind adding a rather basic AR-15 (I want one with the carry handle on top) or a Mini-14 to my pretty slim collection.

Comment

Private sale is still the way to go if you can find what you want.

I'm not sure I can see those number being met, but with Cabelas, BPS and the smaller stores like Academy, DSG...etc, it COULD be possible and then all the accessories...etc.
                    Originally posted by MR EDD
                    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                      Private sale is still the way to go if you can find what you want.

I'm not sure I can see those number being met, but with Cabelas, BPS and the smaller stores like Academy, DSG...etc, it COULD be possible and then all the accessories...etc.
                      problem with private sale is, most the time they want what the gun costs new. Ive picked up some decent deals, but most my deals were from slickgun or gunbroker

Comment

But in response to the op, I can just hear the liberals crying
                        WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                          But in response to the op, I can just hear the liberals crying
                          Yep that's good news in itself

Comment

Working...
                          X