So I want to build a long range rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wickedblkgt View Post
    keeps it lighter, which I'm still learning why you would lighting a heavy barrel, seems counter productive.
    It is 99% aesthetic since it doesn't reduce that much weight. Also keep in mind a lot of button rifle barrel companies won't stand behind a fluted barrel. My advice is to pick a contour that offers good balance and weight while still being easy to carry.
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

I'm just now seeing this thread and I'm surprised no one has asked this so here it goes...

What are you going to do with the rifle? Hunting? Competition? FTR class? Tactical/Practical? Based on what you say will have SOME difference in the answer you get.
      Originally posted by Jester
      Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
      He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
      Originally posted by Denny
      What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
      FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

I will keep everyone updated as money can afford. I will more than likely go and buy the rifle ( Remington 700 ADL) tomorrow at Academy in .308 for $365. Next will be glass, I'm leaning heavy towards Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50.
        Before you do that, talk to us, I was recently in this situation and can potentially answer some questions based on your intended use of the rifle.
        Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
          Before you do that, talk to us, I was recently in this situation and can potentially answer some questions based on your intended use of the rifle.
          I'm not really sure why I want to build this rifle, I guess some has to do with the cool factor, maybe I would like to do some hog hunting( I'm not a hunter), maybe I would like to get into the sport of long range, I'm not really sure???? As gay as this sounds, it all started after I saw the new MagPul Hunter 700 stock and I wanted it.

Comment

And how cheap the Remington 700 ADL was.

Comment

If you don't know what you're going to use the rifle for then I would advise against an impulse buy. A long range competition rifle is going to be completely different than buying a hunting rifle. Plain and simple, know what you're getting into before buying a rifle.

You can use a plan jane rifle for competition but you're going to be at a severe disadvantage.

I'm sure the new magpul hunter stock is going to great for keeping the weight off of a rifle but it's not something I would put on a rifle I relied on accuracy for. Injection molded with an aluminum bedding pillar doesn't offer much in the way of rigidity. Choate & Hogue have been doing it for a long time and there's a reason a lot of people get rid of those stocks. You can feel the flex in the injection molded ADL stocks when you shoot one, that's why I got rid of mine.

Caliber is going to play a big part in what you want to do with the rifle.

Comment

I guess I want to build a tactical LRR, sence I can't justify spending $3500 on a scope and another $2500 on a gun. The 338 Lapua Barrett at Academy was pretty cool, but not for $8k.

Comment

I guess I want to build a tactical LRR, sence I can't justify spending $3500 on a scope and another $2500 on a gun. The 338 Lapua Barrett at Academy was pretty cool, but not for $8k.
                  Do you just want to shoot 1000 yards or do you want to compete? Throw us a bone here. You can spend $1200 on a rifle and $800 on glass and shoot 1000 yards. Doesn't mean the rifle is going to be super accurate but it'll get it done. At that point it's going to be more about your loading ability and your shooting ability.

Comment

Buy a rifle that is capable (not top of the line capable) of what you are wanting to do. Then as you practice and shoot to the rifles potential, start upgrading.

A Savage 10 or 12 (6.5 Creed, .308, .243) Ruger Precision Rifle (6.5 Creed, .243, .308) or Tikka CTR (.308, 260 Rem) would be perfectly serviceable for your current needs and have many upgrade options available. Good triggers, actions, and out of the box accuracy from all three of these.

Notice I didn't mention Remington... I don't think Remington offers any factory rifles that can compete with the 3 listed above. Their triggers are junk and would need to be replaced to even equal the 3 above. Their QC is lacking more and more...

Calibers, my thoughts.
                    good to 1000+ yards
                    Easiest to reload for (many many loads that will print sub-MOA groups)
                    Biggest selection of factory, off the shelf, match grade ammo
                    Good supply of "cheap" ammo as well

6.5 Creedmoor
                    Capable of 1000+ yards
                    Hornady match ammo available that prints sub-MOA groups in pretty much all rifles I know of, about $25-$30/box
                    Easy to reload for, brass is not as plentiful and only made by 2 or 3 mfgs right now
                    Better ballistics than .308 for long range work.

Capable of 1000+ yards (as long as the rate of twist is fast enough to to stabilize the longer heavier bullets, which it is in the Ruger)
                    Easy to reload for, brass can be made from .308, 7-08, 260, etc.
                    Not much, if any, match grade factory ammo
                    Not as good of selection of bullets as the 2 above.

260 Rem
                    Capable of 1000+ yards
                    Not much factory match grade ammo
                    Ammo cost can be high
                    About equal to 6.5 Creed in performance but uses a little more powder as well.
                    Loading with Long heavy bullets could mean the OAL may exceed your magazine length of you have to reduce powder charge to seat bullet deeper in case which gives an edge to 6.5 creed with heavy bullets for long range work.
                    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Do you just want to shoot 1000 yards or do you want to compete? Throw us a bone here. You can spend $1200 on a rifle and $800 on glass and shoot 1000 yards. Doesn't mean the rifle is going to be super accurate but it'll get it done. At that point it's going to be more about your loading ability and your shooting ability.
                      I don't think I want to compete, I don't think I can afford it😢

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
                        Buy a rifle that is capable (not top of the line capable) of what you are wanting to do. Then as you practice and shoot to the rifles potential, start upgrading.

A Savage 10 or 12 (6.5 Creed, .308, .243) Ruger Precision Rifle (6.5 Creed, .243, .308) or Tikka CTR (.308, 260 Rem) would be perfectly serviceable for your current needs and have many upgrade options available. Good triggers, actions, and out of the box accuracy from all three of these.

Notice I didn't mention Remington... I don't think Remington offers any factory rifles that can compete with the 3 listed above. Their triggers are junk and would need to be replaced to even equal the 3 above. Their QC is lacking more and more...

Calibers, my thoughts.
                        good to 1000+ yards
                        Easiest to reload for (many many loads that will print sub-MOA groups)
                        Biggest selection of factory, off the shelf, match grade ammo
                        Good supply of "cheap" ammo as well

6.5 Creedmoor
                        Capable of 1000+ yards
                        Hornady match ammo available that prints sub-MOA groups in pretty much all rifles I know of, about $25-$30/box
                        Easy to reload for, brass is not as plentiful and only made by 2 or 3 mfgs right now
                        Better ballistics than .308 for long range work.

Capable of 1000+ yards (as long as the rate of twist is fast enough to to stabilize the longer heavier bullets, which it is in the Ruger)
                        Easy to reload for, brass can be made from .308, 7-08, 260, etc.
                        Not much, if any, match grade factory ammo
                        Not as good of selection of bullets as the 2 above.

260 Rem
                        Capable of 1000+ yards
                        Not much factory match grade ammo
                        Ammo cost can be high
                        About equal to 6.5 Creed in performance but uses a little more powder as well.
                        Loading with Long heavy bullets could mean the OAL may exceed your magazine length of you have to reduce powder charge to seat bullet deeper in case which gives an edge to 6.5 creed with heavy bullets for long range work.
                        Very informative, thank you!

Comment

I don't think I want to compete, I don't think I can afford it😢
                          With that being said, you want something that's capable of hunting and can shoot 1000 yards, which comes down to caliber.

As BlackGT said, both 6.5CM & .308 will do it, 6.5CM just does it faster and straighter. Plenty of guys are running 140gr AMAX in the PRS without any issues. I've seen the 140gr AMAX take down deer plenty big. Hornady happens to make match ammo with the 140gr AMAX for $25-$30 a box. Think of the 6.5CM as the new .308.

The .308 will do it as well, I was banging steel at 1000 yards with a 175gr SMK just a couple weeks back.

If I were in your shoes I would find a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5CM, add an Atlas Bipod, and a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50, with a set of Vortex Rings. That'll do more than you need for right under $2500 and will still give you room to grow if you decided to start into competition.

Comment

With that being said, you want something that's capable of hunting and can shoot 1000 yards, which comes down to caliber.

As BlackGT said, both 6.5CM & .308 will do it, 6.5CM just does it faster and straighter. Plenty of guys are running 140gr AMAX in the PRS without any issues. I've seen the 140gr AMAX take down deer plenty big. Hornady happens to make match ammo with the 140gr AMAX for $25-$30 a box. Think of the 6.5CM as the new .308.

The .308 will do it as well, I was banging steel at 1000 yards with a 175gr SMK just a couple weeks back.

If I were in your shoes I would find a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5CM, add an Atlas Bipod, and a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50, with a set of Vortex Rings. That'll do more than you need for right under $2500 and will still give you room to grow if you decided to start into competition.
                            Game changer. I started doing some research on this, and I'm pretty impressed. The Ruger precision is everything rolled into one ie: stock, barrel, bolt, etc. Thanks for the advice. Where can I fine one at a good price????

Comment

Game changer. I started doing some research on this, and I'm pretty impressed. The Ruger precision is everything rolled into one ie: stock, barrel, bolt, etc. Thanks for the advice. Where can I fine one at a good price????
                              Good luck finding one.
                              "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Been wanting to build a 1000 yard gun as well. Buy a 308 Remington 700 ADL and then start with a nice stock and scope and you'll have a really nice shooter already. Upgrade from there.

Comment

Working...
                                X