Hatchets¿

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hatchets¿

Any recommendations. I'd like to pick up a small hatchet or hunters axe.

I have a gerber that has worked well for over 10 years. Picked it because the plastic handle is lighter than wood when I backpacked. Honestly any hatchet you find a good deal on will probably be fine.
    I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Just make sure the head is good and heavy.

Comment

I picked up one of these SOG Tomahawks just because it was onsale and I was in a buying mood, but it has been surprisingly useful and held up very well to abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
            Just make sure the head is good and heavy.
            That's what she said.

Comment

SA Wetterlings and Gransfors Bruk are both very good choices, but the price reflects that. Any high carbon steel Swedish axe should be a good choice.

I have been eyeballing this [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-Carpenter-Axe-Carpenters/dp/B004SN1HGQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441807036&sr=8-1&keywords=Husqvarna+Carpenter%27s+Axe"]Husqvarna Carpenter's Axe[/ame] as an alternative, due to cost ($60 is easier to swallow than $130 - $180 for the first two I mentioned). I was actually thinking about buying it today. It also fits my needs a bit more, as I am looking at it for 'Bushcraft' style uses.

A lot of the decision on blade design and length is dependent on intended use. I am looking for something around the 20" mark, and intend to use it for camping, particularly back-country dispersed stuff, not formal campgrounds. But if you want something for splitting wood at home, a simple full length splitting maul would be more suitable.

I will say that I have one of these for home, and am not happy with it. It is not a full maul (just has the kick out pieces) and does not split hardwood that well (we burn mostly oak). For a maul, I would prefer something more like this, but with a wood handle.

My current camping axe is an Estwing all steel model, and while it works, I am not a huge fan. It just doesn't hold an edge as well as I would like.
              Last edited by Chili; 09-09-2015, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
                I picked up one of these SOG Tomahawks just because it was onsale and I was in a buying mood, but it has been surprisingly useful and held up very well to abuse.

This. Cheap and sturdy.

Comment

Chilli it sounds like we are both looking at the same things. The husqvana is a much better pill to swallow.

Comment

I have one similar in design to the husqvarna but it came from Lowe's with a fiberglass handle. It holds a edge well too.
                    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Council Tool makes a hatchet and boys axe that are a good value. I have a couple of their smaller camp hatchets and they have been good.

Comment

Polaris Trading/2 Hawks hands down.

http://www.2hawks.net/tomahawks/

Comment

Comment

If its good enough for bear...

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B0I2DBK/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1441845674&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=hatchet+bear+grylls&dpPl= 1&dpID=41qqvRrajQL&ref=plSrch[/ame]

Comment

Gerber or Fiskars... You could pay more, but if it's for occasional use, why?
                              "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Working...
                              X