Houston Zoo forced to take down 30.06

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houston Zoo forced to take down 30.06

Wonder if the Fort Worth Zoo could be visited next?

At the behest of the City of Houston which was prompted by a prominent Texas gun rights group, the Houston Zoo has been forced to remove all "no guns" signage from its premises.
    Attorney Edwin Walker with Texas Law Shield, a legal services firm for gun owners, sent a demand letter to the Houston Zoo and its corporate entity and the city's parks and recreation department on Sept. 3 asking that they take down all 30.06 (guns prohibited) signs at the zoo.
    A 30.06 sign can be used by a business owner to prohibit a CHL holder from bringing a firearm into business. The signs refer to Texas Penal Code 30.06 which forbids CHL holders from bringing firearms into locales with 30.06 signs in plain sight at the entrance or a "conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public."
    Walker noted in his letter that the zoo's 30.06 sign was in violation of Texas Government Code §411.209 because, though the zoo is privately owned, it sits on property owned by the City of Houston
    Accordingly, it is not a place where firearms or concealed handguns may be prohibited under Texas Penal Code §46.03 or §46.035.
    Walker planned on taking his complaint to the Office of the Texas Attorney General before the city stepped in.
    By Sunday, the signs were gone.

On Monday, zoo officials said in a statement that they were "investigating the legal implications of the request" as they honored it in the meantime.
    "We do recognize that this has the potential to confuse or concern our guests and members and we want to emphasize that this will not alter our number-one priority, which is the safety of our guests, employees and animals.”

Zoo spokesperson Jackie Wallace said the zoo has not yet heard what will happen in January when Texas’ new open carry laws go into effect.
    "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Lawyered.

Comment

The Ft Worth zoo doesn't even have legal placement. The sign is only readable after you pay and walk intonthe park right past the cashier. It looked odd as well and may not even be a legal sign at all. I have never been to the Dallas zoo but I read it has some similar issues about not being legal. Holefully they are both challenged
      I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

"We do recognize that this has the potential to confuse or concern our guests and members and we want to emphasize that this will not alter our number-one priority, which is the safety of our guests, employees and animals.”
        The main point of that quote is the last word. Safety of the animals. Zoo owners know if they have a loose animal and a bunch of CHLs the animal's life expectancy is short to none.
        Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
        There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren M View Post
          The main point of that quote is the last word. Safety of the animals. Zoo owners know if they have a loose animal and a bunch of CHLs the animal's life expectancy is short to none.
          Oh man, the media madness that would have ensued if a CHL got one of Dallas' escaping apes...
          "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
            Oh man, the media madness that would have ensued if a CHL got one of Dallas' escaping apes...
            That ape was a good ape. He didn't do nothing.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
              That ape was a good ape. He didn't do nuffin.
              fixed
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                fixed
                sigpic

Comment

30.06 sign to racist comments in less than 10 posts.
                  I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Working...
                  X