Shadowbox for my FIL...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shadowbox for my FIL...

My FIL was in WWII and just had his medals in a drawer somewhere, so I snaked them without him knowing and put them in display in this shadowbox. He also gave.my son his uniforms so I took off a couple of patches, the brass (tried to polish it). We are going to give it to him tomorrow at Thanksgiving dinner. The flag was new,so I'm going to try and iron out some of the wrinkles, the Germany Occupation medal was lost so that's a replacement, but everything else is original.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Rick Modena; 11-25-2015, 02:12 PM.
    Originally posted by Silverback
    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Do you have a pic? My wife does lots of shadowboxes and I always enjoy seeing them.

Comment

Oh man, it didn't attach, holt up...
      Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
        My FIL was in WWII and just had his medals in a drawer somewhere, so I snaked them without him knowing and put them in display in this shadowbox. He also gave.my son his uniforms so I took off a couple of patches, the brass (tried to polish it). We are going to give it to him tomorrow at Thanksgiving dinner. The flag was new,so I'm going to try and iron out some of the wrinkles, the Germany Occupation medal was lost so that's a replacement, but everything else is original.
        That's cool man.

One of my brothers did that for my grandfather a couple of years before he passed. The same Christmas, I bought him a wooden model of the plane he crewed on (B-24), which was also fitting because he was a furniture / cabinet-maker most of his adult life. It was a teary-eyed Christmas Eve that year..

Apparently both became his most prized possessions, and always had to be in his view when in his recliner.

Comment

Very cool of you!

Comment

I had to bust out my old 10mp camera, it won't load from my phone for some odd reason.

Anyway, its my first time putting something like this together, I looked at alot of pictures of WWII vets shadow boxes and this is what I put together. I hope he likes it, better than his stuff sitting in boxes in his dresser drawer.

Comment

Nice! Just make sure the medals are in the right order!

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                Nice! Just make sure the medals are in the right order!

http://www.americanwarlibrary.com/display/
                Thanks, Craig. I still need to iron the flag and I'll move some stuff around. It looks like a couple are not in order. I also had another patch, but it was on his dress uniform and I didn't want to take that one off. It is a Indian head, I believe it was for the 2nd infantry.

Comment

That's pretty cool!

Comment

Very cool, H! It looks great. I need to re-do/update a few things on mine.
                    "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

awesome man

Comment

Awesome work.
                        "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

That looks good. I wish my grandfather would have kept his uniform or patches. All we have are medals and a campaign hat.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                            Thanks, Craig. I still need to iron the flag and I'll move some stuff around. It looks like a couple are not in order. I also had another patch, but it was on his dress uniform and I didn't want to take that one off. It is a Indian head, I believe it was for the 2nd infantry.
                            Yes, shield shape, black background with the white star and Indian head is 2nd Infantry Division. Same patch I wore in Korea in `94 - `95! In fact, it's still on the field jacket I kept.

Comment

If you find out what battalion / squadron he was in, I'd sure love to know!

Comment

Working...
                              X