Queens man found with AK-47 assault rifle, 17,000 rounds of ammunition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Denny
    I've got the TLETS hook up. It's just a NCIC inquiry.
    If they just run the number it will not tell you if it is stolen or not. The way guns are added to the hot sheet is a bit confusing but there is a method to the madness and you have to feed in the details exactly in the right way to get real results.
    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

What are you talking about?
      There have been 10s of millions of guns made since they started requiring serial numbers on them and it is not uncommon for guns to have the same serial numbers so they require more details such as the manufacture, caliber, gun type, barrel length and a general description to accurately add a gun to the feds hot list. Running just the serial number is pointless and the feds do not track stolen firearms just by the serial number.
      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

no man, that's not how it works.

Comment

If you get a hit from the serial number, then you go into detail.
          I have reported them stolen before but I have never tried to run them.

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
            There have been 10s of millions of guns made since they started requiring serial numbers on them and it is not uncommon for guns to have the same serial numbers so they require more details such as the manufacture, caliber, gun type, barrel length and a general description to accurately add a gun to the feds hot list. Running just the serial number is pointless and the feds do not track stolen firearms just by the serial number.
            Sort of.

If you get a hit from the serial number, then you go into detail.
            Yes

Cars are the same way for some reason now days. I can run a plate or serial number and get what is called a soundex. Then I have to eyeball it and see what state it is from, make, model, etc.

We have confirmed on stolen guns based on a serial number hit at first with no make or model. Then we do the leg work and start calling PD's to see what is in the report and what identifiers they have.

They do require a minimum amount of fields to be entered and the more the better. I have never entered the barrel length though. I could see it happening though on some SBR's etc.

Sometimes the reason we have to do the leg work is just older records. They just didn't require the same stuff ten years ago they require now.
            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

So, we gonna have a thread for serial number check for DFWM members?
              "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                Baba and Grimp are sounding like a couple of pretentious twats.
                I know all the info on mine because I don't want to spend money on junk. I know who owned it and how it was cared for/used. Plus I'm interested in history, so I like to research the MFG of the firearm as well as dating them and learning of any quirks.

I also don't want something that has a built in surprise and blows up the first time I pull the trigger.

Plus I mainly buy older shotguns and hunting rifles, from older men or their widows, most of which are the first owners of said guns.

All of my pistol purchases have been retail and my ARs have been gun show lowers and built by me.
                G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by Grimpala View Post
                  I know all the info on mine because I don't want to spend money on junk. I know who owned it and how it was cared for/used. Plus I'm interested in history, so I like to research the MFG of the firearm as well as dating them and learning of any quirks.

I also don't want something that has a built in surprise and blows up the first time I pull the trigger.

Plus I mainly buy older shotguns and hunting rifles, from older men or their widows, most of which are the first owners of said guns.

All of my pistol purchases have been retail and my ARs have been gun show lowers and built by me.
                  Or so they say...

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                    Or so they say...
                    I'm thinking that I can trust people who've attended church with my grandparent's for decades.
                    G'Day Mate

Comment

I'm thinking that I can trust people who've attended church with my grandparent's for decades.
                      Okie dokie.

Comment

That is what many of Bernie Madoff's clients/victims thought as well.

Comment

and dick Cheney. his infamous bird hunting gun went for 5 digits in auction.

Comment

Originally posted by Tremor14 View Post
                            and dick Cheney. his infamous bird hunting gun went for 5 digits in auction.
                            I don't believe that Dick has ever been accused of theft. It is very common for high end custom shotguns to sell for 5 digits.

Comment

no but its a dirty gun that was commissioned in a crime, whether it was read in a verdict or not.

Comment

^^^ It sounds like you have never bird hunted before. Getting hit with pellets from other hunters is not uncommon.

Comment

Working...
                                X