Black powder rifles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black powder rifles

Looking to extend my hunting season a bit but don't know much about them. Would like a Thompson center fire or similar but don't know whether cva, traditions, or others are worth a damn. Any input appreciated.

Thompson is kinda the standard it seems. What state are you hunting in to extend it? Some say bp omly ehile others say muzzle loader only.

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

I'm in Virginia, all styles of muzzle loader seem to be okay here.

Comment

I would get one that can use pellet powder and shotgun primers. That makes things much easier. Just remember they take more maintenance as the stuff burns nasty and is corrosive or used to be. Also you can't unload them without firing which is something to think about.

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk
        "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

That's what i am looking for. I've read about some good clean burning powders or pellets available now that people are saying they can shoot a dozen or two times without needing to clean. i don't anticipate firing it more than 5 times this season after sighting it in so thats kind of a secondary concern to function.

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
            That's what i am looking for. I've read about some good clean burning powders or pellets available now that people are saying they can shoot a dozen or two times without needing to clean. i don't anticipate firing it more than 5 times this season after sighting it in so thats kind of a secondary concern to function.
            Dude, I just sold my muzzle loader. I'd have brought that thing to NC if i'd known you were looking. It was nothing special, some gander mountain off brand, but it was reliable as hell. I just didn't shoot it often enough.
            Matts1911SA - XBox Live Gamertag

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
              I have a few black powder rifles from my days in NC and loved it more than rifle season. I have a Thompson and also a Knight. My Knight is an inline that uses pellets and percussion caps. The newer ones use shotgun primers. I actually have a scope on the Knight and can shoot accurately at 100 yards. It's a .50 cal and I shoot sabots with it.

I'd recommend looking at the Knight rifles unless you just want the older style with a side hammer. The other nice thing about the Knight is you can just unscrew the back and unload it without firing.

Comment

The T/C guns are really nice.
                ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

With black powder, one finds out where the saying,
                  "Shower with a friend" came from.

Every time it is loaded it needs to be fired.
                  Every time it is fired, it has to be cleaned!

They are fun and real cheap to run.

Comment

I love BP weapons. Always fun to shoot. You'd better have good aim cause your only getting one chance. But yeah like everyone has said cleaning them is just a dirty nasty chore. I remember the first time I took my buddy's Kentucky flintlock to the range. I couldn't find flash powder so we used pistol powder shot a three foot flame from the flash pan and scared the shit out of everyone next to us. Always a good time. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ended up getting a CVA optima v2 today. really excited to use it, and more so because it adds a month to my season.

Comment

Working...
                      X