Recoil? .223 vs .243 for my 15 year old daughter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recoil? .223 vs .243 for my 15 year old daughter

So my daughter and I are going on a school sponsored FFA hunting trip next month. She has a single shot .223 and a 20g auto that she handles the recoil just fine. I would prefer a larger round since she is shooting deer. I have never fired .243 so i cant judge if she can handle it. Would like some input from u guys on the difference between .223 and .243 recoil before i buy her a new rifle.

Bout the same to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
      Bout the same to me.
      Thanks kinda of what i thought. Is the knock down that much better from a .243 v .223?

Comment

Performance on deer will be wonderful with .243.
        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

.243 if shooting deer for sure. I think they feel about the same, but would not shoot a deer with a .223 unless it was all I had. It is legal, but not really good unless you feel like tracking for a while.
          I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
            Performance on deer will be wonderful with .243.
            I killed my first deer with a .243, and still use the gun often. Great round. I dropped an 8 pointer in 10 yards with it. BTSP 100 grain right through the lung.

Comment

.243 back in the day around midwest Kansas atleast was what almost everyone had. Could shoot light enough loads for coyotes etc and bigger heavier loads for deer etc.

In my mind prob more deer have been shot with a .243 and the Remington corlok round than any other combo lol.

Comment

Appreciate the responses. My next question is, should i go with the remington 770 or the savage axis xp. Both r around $300 and have a scope package. Remember this is for a 15 year old that only needs an entry level rifle that will drop a deer at 100 to 150 yards. I would like to stay at around $300.

Comment

Don't overlook the Ruger American in that price point. They're making some great rifles for entry level shooters, and if she's small there's no upcharge for a youth-length stock. If you get ready to start looking at them hard, slide over to Star Arms in Stephenville on a Saturday and see my very good friend Monte. I'd bet money on him having 2/3 of those on the shelf.
                  ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Savage or Ruger, Yes! no no no to a Remington 770!
                    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Ive had a Remington 700 in .243 since I was 12 or 13. If you want, we can take her out and let her try it out, see if it's too much for her. I doubt she would notice the difference in it and a .223.
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                        Ive had a Remington 700 in .243 since I was 12 or 13. If you want, we can take her out and let her try it out, see if it's too much for her. I doubt she would notice the difference in it and a .223.
                        Thanks for the offer, but i think i have decide on the remington 783 in .243. Im pretty sure she can handle the recoil fine after everything u guys have said.
                        Last edited by 2000 vert; 09-26-2016, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Picked up a Remington 783 in .243 for her today. Seemed like the best option out there for the money. It was 329 at academy. Thanks for all the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by 2000 vert View Post
                            Picked up a Remington 783 in .243 for her today. Seemed like the best option out there for the money. It was 329 at academy. Thanks for all the advice.
                            You should be able to get a Remington 700 ADL in .243 for the same price if not much more. It'll greatly open up your options for upgrades later on.
                            Originally posted by Jester
                            Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
                            He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
                            Originally posted by Denny
                            What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
                            FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Working...
                            X