First handgun - Sig Sauer P938

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First handgun - Sig Sauer P938

I picked up a Sig P938 over the weekend plus a few magazines. I've never owned or shot a handgun. I took it to the range and put about 100 rounds through it. Fun stuff, not sure why I waited so long to get a handgun.

Being a total Newb to guns I went ahead and registered for a LTC course.

Newb question: Do you typically carry with one in the chamber, or no? Ain't gonna lie, I feel a little leery having a loaded firearm on me, even with the safety on. Right now I keep it in a holster with the magazine in it, but the chamber empty.

Locked and cocked. I forgot that I had one of the 938s in the safe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

How are the prices on those things? I need to get a subcompact.

Comment

From what I've seen market price on them is around $750ish

Comment

Originally posted by Buick355 View Post
          I picked up a Sig P938 over the weekend plus a few magazines. I've never owned or shot a handgun. I took it to the range and put about 100 rounds through it. Fun stuff, not sure why I waited so long to get a handgun.

Newb question: Do you typically carry with one in the chamber, or no? Ain't gonna lie, I feel a little leery having a loaded firearm on me, even with the safety on. Right now I keep it in a holster with the magazine in it, but the chamber empty.
          Nice first gun! Only way to carry would be cocked and locked. To much valuable time would be lost trying to chamber a round at a critical moment. Take your time but you'll eventually get comfortable with carrying it loaded.

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
          Don't forget the Glock 43 and S&W M&P Shield when looking at subcompacts.

Comment

Cocked and locked always. Took me a year to get my wife to carry that way. Finally just grabbed one of her arms and neck and said "I am a rapist or mugger, you need to shoot me, now what do you do?". That finally made her see my point.

It isn't going to "just go off" like everyone thinks. If you are worred about that, take the mag out and cock the gun with an empty chamber, put it in your holster, and wear it all day around the house doing shit. After 8 or 12 hours take it out and see with all that moving around that nothing happened.
            I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

From what I've seen market price on them is around $750ish
              But if you just want something for carry, I've seen the two tone ones go for around $500
              QuestionableContent-Awesome Webcomic

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                I like my Shield in .40 even though it has the safety...but it operates so easily with the thumb it's no big deal. Fits nicely in a pocket for Summer months when you don't want to screw with a holster.

Comment

Somebody needs to buy these 43's I have! I've got two I need to move.
                  "You don't so much drive it, more like poke it with a sharp stick and channel the fury when you piss it off."

FFL & LTC Instructor
                  http://firstresponsefirearms.com/
                  Factory Five MK4 Cobra
                  Build thread-http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17889
                  http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/BlitzAttack65/
                  www.wix.com/cdurhamwot/blitzattack-mk4-build
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                    Nice first gun! Only way to carry would be cocked and locked. To much valuable time would be lost trying to chamber a round at a critical moment. Take your time but you'll eventually get comfortable with carrying it loaded.

I picked up a new kimber micro 9 and love it so far. Only shortage on accessories is finding extra mags.

Comment

Originally posted by 01yz2nv View Post
                      Somebody needs to buy these 43's I have! I've got two I need to move.
                      How much do you want?

Comment

$425 out the door
                        "You don't so much drive it, more like poke it with a sharp stick and channel the fury when you piss it off."

FFL & LTC Instructor
                        http://firstresponsefirearms.com/
                        Factory Five MK4 Cobra
                        Build thread-http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17889
                        http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/BlitzAttack65/
                        www.wix.com/cdurhamwot/blitzattack-mk4-build
                        sigpic

Comment

My wife has the Blackwood edition, two tone with night sights, I think we paid $600 +tax at Bullet Trap.

I carry it more than she does, it's a nice little gun. The one thing I would recommend is, depending on the size of your hands, get a magazine with the pinky extension. It adds an extra round and gives your little finger someplace to go.

I also carry it cocked and locked in a Desantis (Fly Trap?) pocket holster. The outside of the holster has a ton of little grippy dots on it that make it stick in your pocket when you draw.

I really like the Hornady Critical Defense for carry ammo. In all the videos/test I saw that was one of the only rounds that had consistent mushrooming when shot trough denim into gel. The little polymer tip keeps the hollow point from packing up with cloth and failing to open.

All in all it's a good gun, you'll enjoy it.
                          G'Day Mate

Comment

Already got 3 magazines with the pinky extension! It fits my hand pretty well. Going to do my LTC course this Sunday with it.

Comment

I have two 938's. Great gun.
                              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Working...
                              X