Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cut down shotgun barrel.

Long story short.

Have a super cheap mossberg 88 with a 28" barel down to 18.5" but don't really want to do it myself and I don't want to spend $75-100 on another barel particularly.. Anybody recommend a smith around Iriving area to do it for me? (Near my office)

You're going to spend the same amount of money. Better to have both.
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Lathe ?

Comment

Just remember that the OAL also comes into play. Can't have a barrel length shorter than 18 inches (46 cm) or an overall length shorter than 26 inches (66 cm). Without a stamp that is.

The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device.

Comment

Why do you not want to DIY?

Wrap the barrel with a piece of masking tape at the point you want to cut it, make sure it's straight/not wrinkled, this will help ensure a square cut. Use a cutoff wheel/angle grinder/hacksaw, file it a bit, cold blue and move on. Super simple and easy.
          G'Day Mate

Comment

I did this on an SBS and its really not hard to get a square cut. I would use a cold cutting method like a hack saw. The more challenging part is getting the front sight installed right if the barrel is not ribbed.
            Last edited by NoClassic; 10-17-2016, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Measure twice, tape it up, measure twice again, cut with hacksaw or bandsaw. Reblue the edge after ypu dress it with a file. I did a SBS for my brother. Took 5 minutes.
              Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Watched enough youtube on the subject to last me a lifetime and did it myself last night. Came out great and as was mentioned earlier made sure to follow guidelines on minimum length.

For reference I used: Tape, Pipe Cutter to Mark, Hacksaw to finish, File, Cold Blue, Done.

Thanks all!

Comment

If you are still looking for an 18.5" barrel they have a sale going right now.

Comment

Working...
                  X