Building an unregistered AR15?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building an unregistered AR15?

So I was talking to a buddy of mine earlier and he was asking me if I ever heard of building an AR so that you didn't have to register it. I've never heard of this before. Why would someone want to build an AR so it wouldn't have to be registered and what exactly does that mean?

It's not really an uncommon thing. Simply buying a stripped lower from and individual would keep it "unregistered". Even though registration isn't really a thing, some people call getting a background check a "registration".

Why people want this? I would imagine they fear the government is going to confiscate weapons and they'd rather not have uncle Sam know what they have.

...and then often times post everything they own on FB or Instagram lol.
    DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Jose, are you talking about an 80% lower? If so I have some Noreen Billet 80%.

Comment

No such thing as an unregistered AR15 unless you live in a state that requires such firearm be registered. There no registry federally for AR15s or any firearms that isn't NFA related

Comment

Ya he mentioned an 80% lower and having to drill out some stuff, should have mentioned that. I'm not very familiar with that, what exactly is that?

Not sure if I buy him stating that he wants to learn how to build one (unless there is a big cost savings) over just getting a cheap complete AR or a building a regular lower instead of going with an 80% lower. Unless he's buying into some paranoia of gun confiscations, committing a crime with it (doubtful), or just not wanting to be tracked by the goberment.

Comment

Oh and another question, there's really no paperwork that's tracked when you purchase a rifle right? Other than the receipt? I don't buy from a gun store to often and I can't remember if that was the case when I bought my AR from Grabagun a couple of years or so back.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
              Oh and another question, there's really no paperwork that's tracked when you purchase a rifle right? Other than the receipt? I don't buy from a gun store to often and I can't remember if that was the case when I bought my AR from Grabagun a couple of years or so back.
              The 4473 that you fill out has the serial numbers of the firearm(s) being transferred and is kept by the FFL for 20 years unless the FFL relinquishes their license. In which case the logs are turned into the ATF.

Comment

Originally posted by SBFORDTECH View Post
                The 4473 that you fill out has the serial numbers of the firearm(s) being transferred and is kept by the FFL for 20 years unless the FFL relinquishes their license. In which case the logs are turned into the ATF.
                Thanks for clarifying that.

Now on a lower, is there any similar paperwork kept for that?

Comment

The lower is the firearm, you fill out the 4473 for a lower when you buy it.
                  92 LX 5.0

Comment

So what is the difference between say a stripped lower and an 80% lower? Cost? Labor? Serial numbers? Can it be assembled with common house tools (I've never built an AR before so I have no idea)? You still have to fill out the same paperwork on both right?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to debunk what my friend is thinking because he's hard headed in his thinking. Plus I like to bust his balls and I want to make sure I have my facts straight.
                    Last edited by Jose; 11-12-2016, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Duh, should have Google'd this first but you guys helped.

Thinking about acquiring an 80 percent lower receiver? The ATF provided AmmoLand News with some important information for anyone deciding to build their own firearm.

So maybe his thinking is that if it's for personal use, he doesn't have to have a Serial Number on it and he thinks maybe that's "safer" somehow?

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                        So what is the difference between say a stripped lower and an 80% lower? Cost? Labor? Serial numbers? Can it be assembled with common house tools (I've never built an AR before so I have no idea)? You still have to fill out the same paperwork on both right?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to debunk what my friend is thinking because he's hard headed in his thinking. Plus I like to bust his balls and I want to make sure I have my facts straight.
                        an 80% doesnt have a serial number, I would imagine because it's not considered a a firearm, its just 80% of a firearm.
                        It can be done in your garage, but a jig is needed to do it best. I've seen some real hack jobs with only a dremel and a hand drill.

For best results you'd need a jig, a drill press and a dremel tool.

You buy the 80% lower, and then a complete kit (minus the lower obviously) which is just mailed straight to your house from someone like PSA.

Here's a $399 PSA kit.
                        DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Thanks everybody for clearing that up for me!

Comment

Here is a Noreen and a pic of the lower with a Jig on it ready to be drilled. No SR#, but you can never sell it. You make construct your own weapon as long as it conforms to the NFA. IE: full auto, etc....

Comment

You can sell your homemade weapons. You'll just be required to engrave your information on it, a model, caliber, and serial.

Comment

Working...
                              X