Investment only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Investment only

Does anyone have a firearm or multiple firearms that they don't shoot at all, just stay in the safe as an investment so to speak in order not to risk lowering the value?

I was going to say I shoot all of my guns but just realized I haven't shot the last 4 that I have bought. I need to go shooting. I can see the perspective of keeping certain guns as safe queens but I sure do have a hard time selling guns. So I don't think I could see it as an investment.

Comment

I have couple but only because I have 3 or 4 of the exact same thing I can shoot.

Comment

I have a Browning Citori 12 gauge O/U, yeah i know nothing special, that I use for sporting purposes. I shoot it all of the time. It is a special edition Maple Stock and I got it about 4 years ago. From time to time I like to check the market value of my firearms and see how they move. Typically not much, but always an increase. Anyways, this particular shotgun I have not seen anywhere for resale. Every place I have seen it for sale it is sold out and has been for a long time even on auction resale sites. Not only that, but the price has increased from what I paid for it by I want to say by over 20%. When I do go to sporting clay events, etc I get nothing but compliments as you don't see a gun like that anywhere. My question is, do I risk getting it swiped or dinged up and continue to use it regularly, or stow it away and have it be one of those special guns in like 30 years that is worth its weight in gold?

Looks like this:

Comment

I enjoy shooting but I think I enjoy collecting just as much. I have about 12 guns I've never shot. Some that i may never shoot.

Comment

No and I probably wouldn't. I know there are quite a few guns that keep going up in price but I enjoy shooting too much not to shoot everything at least once in a while.
            I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

I have been pack ratting Colt Delta Elites, S&W 10mms, Colt ARs, Colt Diamond Backs, Springfield imported SARs and any of the S&W match autos that I can find for the past 15 years as investments. I also bought every single sub $400 AK that I could find for a few years and cashed in big in the weeks after Sandy Hook. I do tend to shoot my guns though so I can not truly say that there are any that I do not want to shoot in an attempt to preserve their value. I do have an FMP G3 that I bought a pair of just after I turned 18 that I have never fired. It has been sold by me at least 5 times and it keeps finding its way back to me.
              Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

No. I shoot all of them. I do have one that is worth 5-6 times what I paid for it.
                sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                86 SVO - Sold
                '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

I wouldn't say stop shooting it but would say make sure to maintain it really well. At this point it's already been shot so the value isn't going to go down more because you're putting more rounds through it unless it's a ton of them.

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                  I have a Browning Citori 12 gauge O/U, yeah i know nothing special, that I use for sporting purposes. I shoot it all of the time. It is a special edition Maple Stock and I got it about 4 years ago. From time to time I like to check the market value of my firearms and see how they move. Typically not much, but always an increase. Anyways, this particular shotgun I have not seen anywhere for resale. Every place I have seen it for sale it is sold out and has been for a long time even on auction resale sites. Not only that, but the price has increased from what I paid for it by I want to say by over 20%. When I do go to sporting clay events, etc I get nothing but compliments as you don't see a gun like that anywhere. My question is, do I risk getting it swiped or dinged up and continue to use it regularly, or stow it away and have it be one of those special guns in like 30 years that is worth its weight in gold?

Looks like this:

Comment

Also overall buying a new gun as an investment can be risky. Something that seams good now may be in production for years to come which will bring down the value later down the line. unless you're specifically targeting older or specific types of short production guns I wouldn't put much stock into new models. I have quite the hook up but I personally get as many belgium BAR and A-5's that I can. I also have quite a few revolvers.

Comment

Originally posted by jewozzy View Post
                      Also overall buying a new gun as an investment can be risky. Something that seams good now may be in production for years to come which will bring down the value later down the line. unless you're specifically targeting older or specific types of short production guns I wouldn't put much stock into new models. I have quite the hook up but I personally get as many belgium BAR and A-5's that I can. I also have quite a few revolvers.
                      And see that wasn't my original intention. I agree. I bought this to use and the guy recommended the maple stock as a short run special edition. I was like yeah that's different and cool, price wasn't any different than a regular stock so I got it. Now I'm seeing how limited it really is and if I can preserve something nice as a collector piece, I can always buy another O/U.

Comment

The different wood does give it more uniqueness. The last A5 light that I bought I wasn't pay attention and there was a blonde one for the same price as the one I got mine for. My buddy snagged it and was instantly $2-300 more in the black than the one I got from the same year.

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                        And see that wasn't my original intention. I agree. I bought this to use and the guy recommended the maple stock as a short run special edition. I was like yeah that's different and cool, price wasn't any different than a regular stock so I got it. Now I'm seeing how limited it really is and if I can preserve something nice as a collector piece, I can always buy another O/U.

Comment

FWIW from what I've read online the maple stocks seem to be weaker than a walnut stock in regards to the shock absorption. It seems the walnut is able to flex a little more than the maple, whereas the maple seems to shear pretty cleanly along the grain.

That is a beautiful gun BTW. Maybe swap a synthetic or walnut stock onto it to play with and keep the stock furniture safe/clean for the future.
                          G'Day Mate

Comment

Working...
                          X