Steel ammo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel ammo?

Is there a problem with shooting steel ammo like Brown Bear or Wolf (I think thats the name of it)? I've heard some people that think they know it all say not to shoot it. But they have some on ammunition to go pretty cheap. 1000 rounds for $200. And if it is just plinking ammo would there be a problem with it? Just wondering?

I normally just buy PMC. Figured i'd ask before i buy it and it be horrible or something.

The brands that you mentioned are not the best quality but using them will not hurt your gun; just your target.
    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

My personal opinion is this..
      It depends on the gun.
      The 2 you mentioned are fairly dirty rounds. They will dirty up your gun much faster than better quality stuff.
      Now if you are talking about a SKS, AK or even a CETME, go for it.
      If you are shooting an AR, I would not.
      The gas system will put a lot of residue back into the chamber and you will need to clean very often.

Comment

I've put close to 1000rds of polymer coated TULAMMO. Had 3 stuck cases, none of which were bad. The bolt was ripping the lip off the case when you left the round chambered for a bit. It was cold and rainy which might have contributed. From what I've gathered is has to do with the steel casings not explanding in the chamber, allowing gas and other debris gunk up around the shell. After a couple hundred rounds that gunk starts to get real grabby. Definitely do not use brass after steel...as the brass expands and could cause a serious stoppage that a bore rod wouldn't fix. Steel is OK as long as your kit can handle it. Some just can't.

Comment

Put a couple hundred rounds of Tula through my AR the other day with no problem, wasn't all that messy either but I am also used to cleaning up my other rifles which are .22LR and just get filthy really fast. Also shoot the cheap stuff through my pistols and never have a problem there either.
          Jon

Comment

I've got into the habit of cleaning my guns the night I shoot them or the day after. I was just afraid to shoot it and it mess up my gun or something. Most I've shot in one night was ~200 rounds of PMC. Just was gonna get ready to order some more ammo and didn't know if I should just stick with PMC or try sowe cheaper rounds.

Comment

Clean your piece more often but it saves money. I've used 9mm Tula and we had a couple that the slide didn't lock back on the last round. Also had a couple FTL. They seem to be weaker loads but we didn't notice it being any dirtier than brass we shot before, just weaker.

I have 400 rounds at home of 55 grain .223 I need to shoot and see how it does.

Comment

Steel is fine, just dirty.
                "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

It all goes bang, just do not field the stuff.

Steel versus brass after fielding-

Originally posted by lincolnboy
                  After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

when you say "field" the ammo.....what are your refering to?

sorry may be a newb ? but i am a newb

RESIDENT ELECTRICIAN AND WIRING GURU!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RuStYpNuS View Post

x2 i dunno what means exactly? Like outside to get wet? And should I just buy the 500 rounds and see how my gun goes through it?

Comment

Originally posted by GSXRK5 View Post
                        x2 i dunno what means exactly? Like outside to get wet? And should I just buy the 500 rounds and see how my gun goes through it?
                        Should be fine, man. If you're worried you should buy a couple boxes of 20 at $3.99 to make sure your rig will shit and get with them.

Comment

Originally posted by RuStYpNuS View Post

C'mon man, you know..."fielding". When you stick it in your ruck for a long hump.

Yeah, it means using it out in "the field", i.e. for an extended time in the outdoors (and all kinds of weather), like in combat.
                          "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
                            C'mon man, you know..."fielding". When you stick it in your ruck for a long hump.

Yeah, it means using it out in "the field", i.e. for an extended time in the outdoors (and all kinds of weather), like in combat.
                            Ahhhh lol so for range use only then!!! I'm gonna order the 500 rounds and check em out. If my gun blows up you guys can shoot the rest free of charge!!

Comment

Originally posted by GSXRK5 View Post
                              Ahhhh lol so for range use only then!!! I'm gonna order the 500 rounds and check em out. If my gun blows up you guys can shoot the rest free of charge!!
                              Dibs!!

RESIDENT ELECTRICIAN AND WIRING GURU!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X