Originally posted by dmdakota View Post
    No.
    What else does a chronograph tell you?
    Originally posted by Broncojohnny
    HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
      What else does a chronograph tell you?
      see my post above I've been constantly ninja editing, it pretty much explains the idea.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by dmdakota
        When Did I say that? I stated people use federal as a benchmark if you do not get this I cannot help you. I never said federal shot any better than a handload.
        Because good handloaded ammo tailored to your gun is better than factory match ammo.

With out a chronograph to measure what you are doing NO it isn't.
        Why do you think most shooters use Federal gold medal match as a standard?
        you are not tailoring anything by grouping at 100 yards except what it will group at 100 what happens past that? You don't know because you don't know how fast it is moving and the speed difference between your rounds.
        Right there.

edit: ew, caught you before the delete.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I was not talking about which ammo grouped better I was stating that you are not tailoring anything by looking at groups at 100 yards.
          "The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those
          who vote for a living."

Comment

I was not talking about which ammo grouped better I was stating that you are not tailoring anything by looking at groups at 100 yards.
            You're tailoring it at 100 yards, which is why the first recommendation was to find your target distance, and then group at that distance. A chrono will not help you with that at all.

Comment

Except how it groups at 100
              "The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those
              who vote for a living."

Comment

Except how it groups at 100
                That's why I told him to pick his target distance. You're again attempting to pull me into your previous topic, which is varied ranges, and it's accuracy at any range that presents itself. As I mentioned before, all of that can be calculated without the use of a chronograph, just to prevent you from taking this discussion off topic again.

Comment

If you do not have a chronograph you will not know the es or the sd of your rounds which shooting in close range 500 yards and in won't make a huge difference.
                  your main concern as Cj said is grouping at short range.

copied from post #5

are we good?

I think maybe we are not quite understanding each other and this is the problem. He is shooting a deer he doesn't care if the group is .25 moa or 1 moa because it wont matter Hence the factory ammo comment.

Then someone responded about tailoring a load for his gun while shooting at 100 yards What I was trying to convey is that without a chronograph past that distance you won't know what is truly going to happen to your group size and bullet impacts without this tool.
                  who vote for a living."

Comment

If you do not have a chronograph you will not know the es or the sd of your rounds which shooting in close range 500 yards and in won't make a huge difference.
                    your main concern as Cj said is grouping at short range.

copied from post #5

are we good?

I think maybe we are not quite understanding each other and this is the problem. He is shooting a deer he doesn't care if the group is .25 moa or 1 moa because it wont matter Hence the factory ammo comment.

Then someone responded about tailoring a load for his gun while shooting at 100 yards What I was trying to convey is that without a chronograph past that distance you won't know what is truly going to happen to your group size and bullet impacts without this tool.
                    The question bottlerocket was posing was regarding accuracy, how to achieve it without constantly making trips to the range. I think what you're doing is explaining what he cannot do without a chronograph, and not what he was asking, as in what he can do without one. ES and SD are applicable for calculating how much your groups might open up at long range (like 500+ yards as you mentioned) I do not think he will be needing this info for deer hunting. The point at which we disagreed was your statement that store bought federal is more accurate than hand loads unless you have a chronograph.

Comment

we are arguing different points

Yes with enough time you can create a load that will shoot better than FGMM that is not what I was trying to say. This is my point he is shooting DEER are quarter inch groups needed? He has said he has limited time to get this done so I make a good suggestion a 168gr amax is great round for Deer.
                      who vote for a living."

Comment

Won't a load that groups 1 MOA at 100 yards group about the same 1 MOA at 300 yards, just lower?
                        Not always some will shoot great at 100 and start stringing at farther distances. The best thing to do is shoot at about 250-300yrds (this is even more important with longer heavier bullets like the 200 and upgr 30 cal and 338 cal stuff). That being said it will shoot minute of whitetail out to 300 thats just not as precise as I prefer.
                        "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

With out a chronograph to measure what you are doing NO it isn't.
                          Why do you think most shooters use Federal gold medal match as a standard?
                          you are not tailoring anything by grouping at 100 yards except what it will group at 100 what happens past that? You don't know because you don't know how fast it is moving and the speed difference between your rounds.
                          I can throw together reloads with the same components as FGMM and be more accurate for the simple reason of better QC.
                          "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Working...
                          X