how to totally bubba up a rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to totally bubba up a rifle

just curious, does anyone think i should weld a scope ring on the receiver of an old lee enfield rifle ? it's an ishapore indian one, i don't remember if i read they used different steel or not for the 7.62/308 ones.

it's pretty damn thick, and i tried getting the barrel off with no such luck.
    it seems like if I just weld a little at a time and keep letting it cool, should work fine.
    wtf do i know though.
    I know it's not suggested to do this but there are little options available and this thing is 100$ gun.
    I just dont want to do anything unsafe.

basically the bridge below in the picture and the round part where the barrel (i assume) threads in. clean it up and carefully weld then on accurately setting up scope as low as possible (42mm objective).
    clean up welds , high temp paint and bake it.
    probably add 20moa too.
    i thought mine was a 16" barrel but it measured 19", so that is good news.
    this thing may shoot well after all when im done.

[IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

How is the crown? If the crown is shopt then a scope would be a waste IMO.

Comment

I agree on the crown check those are fairly accurate rifles.
      "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

crown is perfect 11 degree or whatever, recut recently.
        can you guys think of any safety prob this would cause? im not seeing the metal get that fatigued if I weld in small spots at a time allowing cooling...
        or am i just fucking crazy?
        sure beats the shit out of taping, timewise to complete and possibility of it moving around later.

Comment

It can possibly change the hardness of the metal even after letting it cool since you'd have to penetrate the metal enough to stick solid, if not recoil might cause them to break loose.

Comment

Also when the crown was cut was the bore checked the Brits used a lot of corrosive powder although I believe that was only in the 303 cartridge though. Throat erosion could be your culprit as well, also quality of the ammunition being used.

Comment

Originally posted by futant View Post
              crown is perfect 11 degree or whatever, recut recently.
              can you guys think of any safety prob this would cause? im not seeing the metal get that fatigued if I weld in small spots at a time allowing cooling...
              or am i just fucking crazy?
              sure beats the shit out of taping, timewise to complete and possibility of it moving around later.
              The problem you would run into is tempering the steel. You would want at least 1/8" penetration to make sure you have a good weld. Personally I don't think there is any danger unless you intend to weld to the chamber. I don't see any problem with the bridge, just be careful around the chamber. But honestly, I would recommend the scope mount they make for Enfields (Yale posted one).
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

that mount won't fit an ishapore.
                remember the British didn't make this gun , the Indians made it (1965) and the Ishy's were made 7.62 possibly beefed up too.

I guess I'm going to go ahead and do it. bore and chamber look good to me. im no expert though. rifling at least looked sharp.
                the crown is very good like i said.
                Can't really speak to how well it shoots because the scope issues I had before.

I have to admit though I would be pretty proud to take a 100 dollar gun , gunsmith it and put a 350 dollar scope on it and shoot very well.
                If it doesn't work out, oh well. I just want to be able to make hits to 500 yards and use it for a hunting / rough duty gun. It should do that. The Sightron Big sky scope I got for it was a killer deal. The adjustments really feel positive on it and everything feels high quality on it. they even sent the rebate for 75 bucks back to me in like two weeks. I went ahead and got the more expensive 4-12x42mm one. I set it 15moa down, which leaves me 50 moa of travel. More than enough.
                any 200 yard ranges + around ? I hit up the garland range the other day, pretty fun and reasonible prices. Kind of afraid to bring my sks up there though with it's errant double fires!

Comment

Originally posted by futant View Post
                  that mount won't fit an ishapore.
                  remember the British didn't make this gun , the Indians made it (1965) and the Ishy's were made 7.62 possibly beefed up too.

I guess I'm going to go ahead and do it. bore and chamber look good to me. im no expert though. rifling at least looked sharp.
                  the crown is very good like i said.
                  Can't really speak to how well it shoots because the scope issues I had before.

I have to admit though I would be pretty proud to take a 100 dollar gun , gunsmith it and put a 350 dollar scope on it and shoot very well.
                  If it doesn't work out, oh well. I just want to be able to make hits to 500 yards and use it for a hunting / rough duty gun. It should do that. The Sightron Big sky scope I got for it was a killer deal. The adjustments really feel positive on it and everything feels high quality on it. they even sent the rebate for 75 bucks back to me in like two weeks. I went ahead and got the more expensive 4-12x42mm one. I set it 15moa down, which leaves me 50 moa of travel. More than enough.
                  any 200 yard ranges + around ? I hit up the garland range the other day, pretty fun and reasonible prices. Kind of afraid to bring my sks up there though with it's errant double fires!
                  SPECS: Base - Aluminum, black, matte, anodized or powder coated. Sizes vary. S&K 1" Rings - Steel, black, matte finish. Height: .140" (3.6mm) top of base to bottom of ring. Fits - No. 1 Mk III Lee Enfield, also includes instructions to fit Ishapore, .308 cal. rifles. Mini-14 will not fit Ranch or Mini-30. Mosin Nagant M44 and Schmidt-Rubin K31 replace rear sight, use long eye relief pistol or scout scopes, or dot sights.
                  "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                  "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

well s&k had two kinds of mounts, one is a scout setup, and the other normal scope setup.
                    after reading around online i noticed two things about them - probably only a 50% success ratio people using them had no problems, the scope also mounts too damn high unless you use a 50mm objective.
                    both of those are big problems.
                    i'll weld the rings on and range report later on.
                    Any thoughts on how to get a decent cheek weld? there is not anything on the stock
                    I would really like to retain the wood and add to it a raised area for this.
                    The question is how ? get the same wood?
                    I think I like the wood enough to keep it , it has serious character.
                    Even if that doesn't end up being the most sound idea (i.e. much more work than a 70 $ sporter stock)

this rifle is going to be completely bubba'd up good!

Comment

Maybe a good time to see how super, super glue is.
                      Originally posted by MR EDD
                      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Working...
                      X