223 not cycling correctly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slowyellow View Post
    Well not by me, lol. Would you let that deter you from buying them? What did you have to do to them. And doesn't the power trimmer resize the die as well?
    I just took them to the mill and cut a couple hundreds off them with an end mill bit. You could just use a grinder also. The Dillon rep told me to do it, said it was a common issue. Never had any issues with them since then. Any die should be fine, I wouldn't let it deter you, regardless of which die you choose. The power trimmer only trims off what extends past the sizing die, it has no interaction with the die itself.

And bottlerocket, you need to get yourself a case gauge, you wouldn't have these issues and it's an absolutely essential tool. You cannot load rifle rounds without one. I believe I told you this several months ago when you were first getting into reloading.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
      In all of your stages you never mentioned a case gauge. Sounds like you have excessive headspace in your cases.
      It sounds like its turning out to be a combination of that as well as too much roll crimp. I'm going to be switching to a taper crimp instead.

Originally posted by CJ View Post
      And bottlerocket, you need to get yourself a case gauge, you wouldn't have these issues and it's an absolutely essential tool. You cannot load rifle rounds without one. I believe I told you this several months ago when you were first getting into reloading.
      Probably so. Which would you suggest looking into?

Comment

Originally posted by bottlerocket View Post
        It sounds like its turning out to be a combination of that as well as too much roll crimp. I'm going to be switching to a taper crimp instead.

Probably so. Which would you suggest looking into?
        The LE Wilson is the best. Without a case gauge you can't check a rounds reliability or head space. If you think it's too deep of a crimp die you will see belling under the shoulder. It's very obvious when you know what it looks like. The case body will have a slight bulge just under the shoulder. A case gauge will tell you your trim-to length, and your headspace. It is also a spec chamber for the caliber, so you can see if it will jam your rifle or not. And lastly I would only crimp it if you need it, there is a way to verify if you need to crimp your rounds. I only kiss the case, I don't crimp.
        Last edited by CJ; 06-24-2012, 08:36 PM.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/456...-223-remington ??

Comment

That's the one. You'll need one for every rifle caliber you reload, they are the most important tool you will own.

Comment

So how does something like that compare to a tool such as the Hornady Cartridge Comparitor?

Comment

Originally posted by bottlerocket View Post
                So how does something like that compare to a tool such as the Hornady Cartridge Comparitor?
                Those things are useless. Once you get the Wilson gauge you'll understand.

Comment

Gotcha, ok well looks like I have more to add to my Midway order

Comment

I use the X-die for 8x57 bolt gun. Works nice. Haven't had to trim in a few reloads.

Comment

Yep case guage, and reset the die. I had mine so close once that in the summer all was fine. Winter and -14 did just like yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
                        Yep case guage, and reset the die. I had mine so close once that in the summer all was fine. Winter and -14 did just like yours.
                        Fuck a bunch of that! Sorry, that's all that I saw in that post.
                        04 2.6 KB'd Cobra!

Originally posted by Sean88gt
                        There is something about her that just makes my dick completely take over any thought process. If Russell Brand were on top of her, I'd fuck him just to say I pushed a dick inside of her.

Comment

Working...
                        X