Cheap .300 SBR build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap .300 SBR build

Well, here is what I have so far. This would be the cheap keep it simple SBR build for me. I do not like exposed barrels or expensive furniture because my guns get used for hunting and beat to shit, so the less exposed the better.

Currently the gun is a 9.5" .300 BLK barrel from Core15, a spikes piston system, CTR stock, other typical crap, etc. The custom work is in handguard. I'm using the muzzlebrake to hold the end cap on the rifle. Thanks to Adam for taking the time to hand over an AR10 muzzlebrake, I turned it down and machined off the base so I could insert it into a factory muzzle cap and make this work. I think I have $400 into this gun total, just a whole lot of scrounging, spare parts, and a little help from my friends. (Yale, Adam, Adolfo, Soap, Downs)

the idea was to also keep it light, it ended up being just over 5lbs, which was quite a bit heavier than I wanted, but the .300 barrel has a heavy profile which sucked up all the weight savings I had been working for.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Sweet! I really like it. It'll look even better with a supressor on it!
    92 LX 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by bobs94formula View Post
      Sweet! I really like it. It'll look even better with a supressor on it!
      I haven't exactly figured out how I'm going to pull that off yet. It will require more machining on the handguard. A lot of work to save some money it seems, haha.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

HAHA I figured you already had that part planned out!
        92 LX 5.0

Comment

I like it! You could open the cap up a little more, and install a bushing for the suppressor to ride in.
          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by bobs94formula View Post
            HAHA I figured you already had that part planned out!
            I'm having to get specific data from some people on how exactly my can will seat into the barrel so I can figure out how to make a custom cap. It appears I'll have to cut out the current location, and move it back about 9mm and plastic weld it back into place. I'll cross that bridge when I get there I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
              I like it! You could open the cap up a little more, and install a bushing for the suppressor to ride in.
              It's a little more complicated than that, the can doesn't fit on the thread shelf, it slides back over the barrel slightly, so there will need to be quite a recess, and it's 1.5" in diameter which is greater than the cap can be expanded it, it's literally the same dimensions as the entire cap is, thats where the tricky stuff comes in.

Comment

Is it back to DI yet?
                Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                  It's a little more complicated than that, the can doesn't fit on the thread shelf, it slides back over the barrel slightly, so there will need to be quite a recess, and it's 1.5" in diameter which is greater than the cap can be expanded it, it's literally the same dimensions as the entire cap is, thats where the tricky stuff comes in.
                  Carbine length hand guard? Also, I found this, for when you go back to DI:
                  ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

https://www.mgi-military.com/store/i...ype=&category=
                    Carbine is 6", this is a mid length @ 9". I did find that also. Just having a hard time swallowing a $60. Gas tube.

Comment

First things first: You're welcome. Glad I could help.

Secondly, have these guys profile that barrel and you'll shed some ounces.
                      Chuck Ross: He's not cheap, but he's local and that's how I roll.
                      Or
                      These guys have a great reputation

https://www.mgi-military.com/store/i...ype=&category=
                      Just because nobody else in the industry was able to get a SBR .300 to run with a piston kit doesn't mean that it absolutely won't work. What it does mean is that it's probably a fruitless endeavor, considering the additional weight, complexity added and the limited round count that this gun is probably going to get.

Oh, and the white paint probably adds a couple of grams, you could lose that. LOL
                      Last edited by ThreeFingerPete; 07-04-2012, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Hows the cheek weld with that T1 clone? Most (real or not) I've seen are on risers, not entirely sure if its worth the extra bucks or if it works fine down low

Comment

Very nice CJ, will you be killing hogs with that? I think you also mentioned you were getting a can on it, sweet!!
                          First hand witness at the failure of public healthcare.

Comment

Looking good. What red dot and pistol grip is that???
                            sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
                            🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

Primary Arms H1/T1 clone and MOE+ grip.

Comment

Working...
                              X