Show us those reloading setups!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
    I figured I would dig this up instead of starting a new thread. I am designing the workbench for my hobby room. It is going to be an L shaped desk, roughly 8' on the long side and 4' on the short side. I plan to use the short side for re-loading. I have a couple of questions that I am looking for guidance on. How deep, how tall, and how many supports! I plan to set a 2x4 on the wall with 3" screws into studs and support the corners with double 2x4's for legs. Will the 2x4 on the back wall be enough support or should I add legs? Maybe step up to a 2x6? As for height and Depth, I am thinking 24" deep and 30-32" tall. Other than re-loading, it will be used for model cars and other small hobby type stuff. At some point, there will be a hobby lathe/mill mounted to it as well. I am not planning a progressive press, just a lee challenger single stage.
    You are making a desk similar to my gun room. A good height is 30", I will post up some pics of mine so you can see how I did mine.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I'll post mine up in a bit
      2012 GT500

Comment

Here is how I did my reloading bench. It is built with 2x6's. Every 12" on center I had a stud, and where my press was located I made a 2x6 box and three studs under it for extra support. The legs are douglas fir 4x4's held in with 1/2x5" bolts. The table top is hardwood as well.

If I was going to give you one bit of advice, it would be always place your reloading machine ON a table leg, directly over it. No matter how much you reinforce your table, it will always be boomy and vibrate if it isn't directly over a table leg. Also, route the edges of your work bench with a slight chamfer. It makes them last longer, and it's more comfortable to work for long periods.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

No pics, but i got started tonight on the longer portion that I will use for the lighter hobbies. I went 35" high, we will see how it works. If it is a bit tall, I will cut the legs down.

I planned to mount the press directly over the outside leg on the shorter side and add a few extra braces. I will get some pictures once I get it into the room.
          Originally posted by Leah
          Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
            No pics, but i got started tonight on the longer portion that I will use for the lighter hobbies. I went 35" high, we will see how it works. If it is a bit tall, I will cut the legs down.

I planned to mount the press directly over the outside leg on the shorter side and add a few extra braces. I will get some pictures once I get it into the room.
            Depending on what press you have and if it's on a mount or not I would set it up there and see if the work area is where you want it.

Comment

I am going with a Lee Challenger single stage press.

Comment

I got a good portion of the bench finished up tonight. I need to finish the lower shelf on the long side and finish up the supports on the shorter "re-loading" side. I wish I had cut the corners on 45° angles, but I am not rebuilding it. I scored a sheet of 3/4" mdf at work today for the top. I plan to either paint a section with white board paint, or tack on a pre-made white board project panel from home depot for sketches on the long side for my model cars.

Comment

looks well made, should be a good foundation for some reloading.

Comment

Looks good.
                    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

I finally got back to work setting up my hobby/reloading room. Working on upper "cabinet"/shelf space. Everything is tied into studs with 3" screws to make sure it stays in place. One more shelf to put in and I think I am done for a while.

Comment

Working...
                      X