opinions on reloading gear needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by futant View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, a powder thrower + a powder trickler = the same price as a chargemaster.
    And really the chargemaster setup comes with a good scale.
    Powder measure:

Trickler:

Browse 120+ Powder Handling Products including Funnels, Measurers, & Scales from premium brands including Hornady, RCBS, Lyman, and more!

VS

Chargemaster:

Browse 120+ Powder Handling Products including Funnels, Measurers, & Scales from premium brands including Hornady, RCBS, Lyman, and more!

And as far as the thrower being quicker, it is. By quite a bit. But not as precise. The chargemaster for rifle loads takes 22-30 seconds per charge. But if you do it right, you won't really notice the extra time. The thrower would just be a few seconds, and then as fast as you could grab another piece of brass. My chargemaster should be here any minute now, and I'm stoked! So I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just thought you should know.
    04 2.6 KB'd Cobra!

Originally posted by Sean88gt
    There is something about her that just makes my dick completely take over any thought process. If Russell Brand were on top of her, I'd fuck him just to say I pushed a dick inside of her.

Comment

Originally posted by futant View Post
      Don't forget your 20% off coupons!
      04 2.6 KB'd Cobra!

There is something about her that just makes my dick completely take over any thought process. If Russell Brand were on top of her, I'd fuck him just to say I pushed a dick inside of her.

Comment

One downside to the chargemaster is that it should be turned on 45min before use and placed out of any air travel (A/C vents, fans, etc) also no electronics that may vibrate.
        "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Also true match rounds are usually loaded on beam scales or an Acculab scale for the utmost in precision.

Comment

Originally posted by slowyellow View Post
            Don't forget your 20% off coupons!
            oh snap , I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance !

ordered my vib bowl and media, now i just got to keep my wife from riding in it.
            shes only like 100lbs or so!
            Last edited by futant; 01-04-2013, 04:38 PM.

Comment

ok i think ive decided to forget about the chargemaster for now.
              I just don't need it enough, sure would be nice though!

Comment

something about 'rolling your own' really just reminds me of when i started making veggie oil fuel.
                I needed all this equipment to make it happen, and I never even really liked the project in teh beginining. It was a project that just continues to grow on me though.
                I really like it, i may even start including blends of waste motor oil too.
                When i first started though I built SBC oil pump to move the fluid around, and an entire centrifuge assembly run by one.
                The equipment has since worked virtually flawlessly, and had little to no problems.
                Making fuel seems like a lot of wasted time, but according to my calculations when diesel is near 4$/gallon , your working at about 50$/hr making your fuel. not too shabby....
                and you really know it feels good when you look at 300+gallons of ready to go clean oil!
                or when you pull up at a diesel pump and youre like DAMN when was the last time I got fuel at a store ? LOL awesome!

Comment

you sure don't need a trickler, save your money. You don't really need a scale even if you scoop, but it is far more flexible to use a scale and adjustable throw. You definitely don't need to spend much on a scale.

I prefer to use a hand primer over a priming setup for a press. You can feel the results.

Comment

Originally posted by Bassics View Post
                    you sure don't need a trickler, save your money. You don't really need a scale even if you scoop, but it is far more flexible to use a scale and adjustable throw. You definitely don't need to spend much on a scale.

I prefer to use a hand primer over a priming setup for a press. You can feel the results.
                    WHAT? I think that a scale might me the single most valuable thing in my reloading room for consistent ammunition.
                    04 2.6 KB'd Cobra!

Comment

The lee scoops are relatively accurate with certain powders at least for general plinking rounds.

Comment

Scoops are rarely at the proper charge weight from my experience. You have to have the right powder, and the right scoop. When they are they can be pretty useful. I don't think I've ever had one at the exact right charge, and I have a full set of them. I use to take a .357 magnum case, and trim it down to the right size so it held the proper charge and then stick a rod into the empty primer pocket to use it as a scoop.
                        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Cabelas has a Hornady scale for $40... Amazon has one for $33. Both electronic and small, but better than plain ass guessing...

Comment

scoops, whether home made or lee, are considered "the right way" by some of the more competitive BPCR shooters. These guys shoot 500yards with iron sights, no rests and are amazing. I've known several IHMSA competitors that favor this as well (and in OKC some shoot both). They are extremely picky about how the powder is handled and criticize some throws with certain powders as being too "rough".

I don't necessarily agree but you definitely don't need a fancy weigh system for something that is normally measured by volume commercially. Especially not with 3 of the 4 cartridges mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by goofygrin View Post
                              Cabelas has a Hornady scale for $40... Amazon has one for $33. Both electronic and small, but better than plain ass guessing...
                              That is more like it, something to get a fairly consistent throw setting with and that you can repeat close enough. If you use an adjustable throw.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                                They also sell some nice real fine walnut media which I use for final polishing. For my grunt work I get 50lb sacks of walnut media from people in the oil field, mostly people doing fracking. It's dusty as shit, so keep it capped or cut a cement mixer open in the wind. The HF fine walnut media is great though, no dust, no crap, just put some Flitz media polish in it.
                                Hey CJ what do you think about all the reports of ppl wearing out the bowls for this thing tumbling stuff that is 'sharp' ?
                                should i beef it up with epoxy , or an inner tube, as some suggested?
                                or not necessary for brass you think?

Comment

Working...
                                X